Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New User - Couple of Queries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New User - Couple of Queries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KungFooSausage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: New User - Couple of Queries Reply with quote

My wife & kids just bought me a SatMap Active 10 a few days ago. I'm highly impressed with it, although ideally I was wanting one which was more tailored to cycling. The instruction book is pretty poor but I have managed to figure out a lot of things so far. Im hoping the balance of what I can think to ask can be answered here by "the experts" Smile

1. I notice from their website that you can share maps and create routes, but this seems to be only if you bought the soopa doopa version or pay shed loads extra. Personally I think they should be offering this to all users like Garmin seem to do, however my question is are there any other sites where I can upload the data (map, distance, elevations, times, etc) for others to see or me to post on my blog like Garmin allow?

I previously used ridewithgps or mapmyride as sites to log my routes, but not having a GPS device before I only put the paths down. Now I want to show all the additional data as well.

2. The device comes with a map of the UK already on it (no SD card in the box) but its quite large scale - good for driving, not good for cycling or walking. I have been considering buying either the 1:25K or 1:50K local maps. Is there anywhere that you know of where these can be bought cheap? Who does the best deals?

3. I noticed the other day that even though I had switched off the unit, and confirmed with pressing "yes" that I wanted to switch off, that when a few hours later I switched it on it had still been collating data while off. I only noticed this on my trip home which was 50 minutes from me pressing "start" but when I got home it had recorded nearly 4 hours of stationary data on my desk! Is this common?

4. Next to the USB skt is an audio jack. The manual doesnt mention anything about it other than "its there". Is this just for the warning beep that tells you if the screens in hibernation mode? Seems a bit OTT.

Thats all I can think of right now. Im sure theres other things, but the uploading data thing is really my main concern.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KFS,

1.You can use any mapping site/program ( Inc.Memory-Map ) from which you can download your planned route in .gpx format and then upload to the Active 10 via Satsync which will convert it to .map format automatically.

2.The best thing for the maps is to shop around when you are ready to buy,prices change all the time.Satmap have offers from time to time but watch out for the postage.As far as I am aware the 1:25000 map cards are only available from Satmap as the margins aren't big enough to satisfy retailers.Don't ignore the site centred bespoke mapping as this can save you money.The maps can also ( for a fee,£15 I think ) be copied to the same map card so you can zoom from 1:50000 to 1:25000 and vice versa,very handy.

3.If you have route enabled then you need to press STOP on the Trip Log page to stop it recording.
I think also if you have Hibernate active that this will enable it to carry on recording so you need to disable that as well.

4.The audio jack has no function at present.I think it was originally intended for audio information of POI's but it has never been utilised as far as I am aware.Perhaps in the future.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: