Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Tom Tom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Tom Tom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldie67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Which Tom Tom? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a satnav to replace my aging Evesham Bluemedia (lovely gadget; pity I can't update anything), and I've narrowed it down to three models:
XL IQ Routes Edition 2 Europe
XXL IQ Routes Edition Europe
XL Live IQ Routes Europe

The features I'm looking for (this is the bit I'm having difficulty finding out about for each model) are:

1. Charge battery from PC
2. Prepare a route from a start point other than where you are
3. Insert at least one via
4. Itinerary for more than one via
5. Lane Display
6. Browse a route in various ways
7. Browse maps
8. Speed camers and updates.

I'm not that bothered about the LIVE facilities, but you get a year's subscription with the satnav at the moment, so I'm happy to try it.

Is the XXL the same as the XL IQ edition 1, but with a bigger screen?

The XL Edition 2 is described as having a "simplified menu"; does this mean less facilities?

I'd be grateful for any advice.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Simplified Menu" does indeed mean "Less Facilities". The main facility that gets less is the ability to use audible warnings with your POI's which is quite a concern if you use the speed camera POI's from here.

Personally, I'd avoid any TomTom that either has a "2" in it's model name or even hints at the word "Simpified" anywhere in it's description.

Sorry, but I do not know enough about the XL range to help you further with your selection but I would be very surprised if the other two models did not do what you want as these are standard functions which do appear on the majority of TomToms.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non of the models you list have a memory card expansion slot so once you update the map using the free "Latest Map Guarantee" you will have problems.

The new map is larger in file size than the available memory on any unit you list so the TomTom solution is to offer you a "zone" which covers less than what you had in terms of global coverage at the time of purchase. You can download and install other zones as required but these units are USB 1 so installation of a map takes around one hour.

To avoid the above I would look at the 730R (details can be found Here ) The 730 ticks all your needs and importantly comes with an SD card slot. I used to advise users on here that the XL IQ and XL IQ Live were about the best navigation units made in quite some time, the recent V850 farce has stopped me recommending them at all, real shame how a TomTom supplied "update" can ruin a unit - Mike
oldie67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ali and Mike,

I think I'll concentrate on the XL Live or XXL, since I don't need the extra facilities of the GO series.

Regarding the "zones"; I'd never seen this mentioned before, so I did a google search on "tomtom zones" - it seems they're new, and many people seem confused by whether TomTom is talking about downloads to the PC hard disk, or downloads (uploads?) from hard disk to GPS unit.

Personally, I doubt I'd ever need more than Western Europe, so presumably I could replace the maps the unit comes with (if they're earlier than 8.50), after backing them up, by d/l just the WE zone?

Jim
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldie67, whichever TT you get, before anything else, please make a full WindowsExplorer back up of it and store this safely on your computer or a DVD. Then connect to TomTomHome and let it bring you up to date, the NavCore/OS first and then the Maps. TomTomHome should ofer you new maps based on your existing ones and should take then care of the swapping over from old to new. However, you may need to help TTHome by removing the older map first if prompted to make more space available prior to the download. When finished, take another WindowsExplorer back up and keep this one safe also. Both of these back ups are your get out of jail cards for when something goes wrong!

There is a "sticky" post in the TomTom PND section of this website full of interesting and helpful do's and dont's.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
oldie67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll do that. I've been doing some browsing, and found tomtomforums.com, which has a lot of correspondence about the new maps, and various other things which can go wrong! It's not clear whether TT HOME downloads all the zones to your PC, and you can then swap zones in and out as necessary, or whether you need to connect to the TT website if you want to swap.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my newly purchased refurb Go930 I was able to download all 5 zones offered:- once downloaded, I just moved the zone off of my TT and onto my PC, TTHome then allowed me to download another zone.

I lost a lot of PC hard disc space that day!

As you say, I doubt if I shall need anything other than the Western Europe zone though.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
rireed3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldie67 wrote:
Thanks, I'll do that. I've been doing some browsing, and found tomtomforums.com, which has a lot of correspondence about the new maps, and various other things which can go wrong! It's not clear whether TT HOME downloads all the zones to your PC, and you can then swap zones in and out as necessary, or whether you need to connect to the TT website if you want to swap.

I've spent a day trying all this on my One IQ Routes and then moaning to TomTom about my one-year sub.

- Downloading the zone maps is the least of my problems -- that's only 15 minutes apiece. On my One IQ Routes it takes an HOUR to copy the file to the device. I don't know which devices have USB 2.0 or how much faster it is.

- For the four-zone Western_central_europe maps you must go through the entire download and copy sequence four times to get all the zone maps on the PC, about 5 hours total.

- Two of the zones don't include the UK, and I can't switch zones without my PC running TT HOME. Sort of wrecks the experience, although I guess I can get to Dover without TT -- if there are no jams.

If TomTom GO 550 will recognise a 4GB memory card, I think that is the lowest spec TomTom that can avoid the zones and load a full map -- special instructions found elsewhere on these forums will apply.

From here on, if TT don't help out, no TomTom without a memory card will be practical for the full Europe map update. I predict that in six months all other TT devices will be retailing as new at 60% of their current prices.

Richard

Last edited by rireed3 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
oldie67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rireed3 wrote:

From here on, if TT don't help out, no TomTom without a memory card will be practical for the full Europe map update. I predict that in six months all other TT devices will be retailing as new at 60% of their current prices.

Richard

Thinking about what TT will have on new Xl units in 6 months time - they'll either have to have more memory, or memory card slot, or include zones on DVD. Or still have the older version of their maps, of course.

This might be fine for people who are used to copying files back and forth, keeping backups, etc., but does hammer the "use straight from the box" market.

In any event, I think I might wait a month to see what happens.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: