Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM killed my TOMTOM with map update !!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM killed my TOMTOM with map update !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM killed my TOMTOM with map update !!! Reply with quote

Hi,
I would just like to thank tomtom for the excellent map update service. I now have a useless Live XL unit.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem..

Unit starts up OK,
select Navigate to,
select address,
then select anything else on that screen, City, postcode etc it just sits there and then resets itself.

I have downloaded the latest postcodes just incase that was the problem.

I can navigate to a favourite or recent destination but nothing on the next screen..

If all else fails, how do I roll back to previous map....

HELP !!!

Phil-w
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you followed PGPSW advice and took a Windows Explorer backup before updating, you have no problems. Connect your device to your PC and with the device switched on (but not using TomTom Home) open My Computer and double click on your device (it could be E, F, G etc but will usually show the TomTom logo. Format your device and copy the information you have from your backup into the device. You should now be back where you were before updating. You can then try again to download the new maps.
If you didn't take a Windows explorer backup you have problems. All you can try is to phone TomTom Support and explain the circumstances.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I do have a REAL backup, not the last one but 1 before that, I suppose at least it will (should work !)

I will have to try TT I suppose first..

Thanks

Phil-w
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A result !!!

If anyone experiences problems of a similar nature it is worth trying running your TT from your copy of HOME on a PC via USB.

I suddenly remembered I had a problem with an old TT unit and recovered it via the Remote operation through home. That time I couldn't get past the boot screen but when I connected and used the romote operation I was able to get it working OK, when I then disconnected the TT and started it up, all was well...

Anyway, further to my fault report above I was able to get to the postcode bit, soon as clicked on it the PC appeared to lock up for a few minutes. All of a sudden it popped up with postcode but for some reason the country was Andora !!

I changed it to UK and set a few routes. All appeared well so I disconnected properly and tried it normally and all is well.

Looks like that is the 2nd time it has saved my bacon...

Just thought I would report incase it helps anyone else in a similar boat..

Phil-w
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil-w wrote:
Anyway, further to my fault report above I was able to get to the postcode bit, soon as clicked on it the PC appeared to lock up for a few minutes. All of a sudden it popped up with postcode but for some reason the country was Andora !!

Glad to hear you fixed it as I have seen this very behavour on a different unit to yours and indeed Home fixed the issue by letting you select the country which wasn't possible on the device when running as standalone, I did post this on the forum about three months ago much to the amusment of some of the forum regulars - The mere thought of me using Home caused fits of laughter! see Here

On a more serious note I will report this issue to TomTom as its clearly a bug in the software albeit a little known fault (two occurances in the past 3 months) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: