Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need new TT 530 or 540
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need new TT 530 or 540
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 540 being ex demo is almost certainly outside its LMG period and three months Live subscription. What use is a demo model if it doesn't demo? ONLY buy it if they'll let you update it in the store, getting LMG and seeing what it says about the expiry date on the free three months Live subscription.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Roydaboy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennisn wrote

Quote:
Just four teeny weeny bits of invaluable information, please.

1. What software version did it come with?
2. What software version has it updated to?
3. What map version did it come with?
4. What map version did LMG give you?

The whole trojan / virus thing blew me off course and I didn't note the original software and map versions. Doh!

However, after upgrading, the unit is now running :-
App 8.351
Map UK & ROI v850.2781

The first thing I did, (after removing the virus), was take a backup using Windows Explorer.

I've been living with TTN on my Axim for god knows how long and simply never had the need in recent times to check out the version numbers etc and simply forgot I could do it that way.

Thanks for all the advice.
Lasertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the GO 750 Live from Comet at £207.70 with their online price match, reduced from £249.99

What a nightmare to get the new updated Maps. I have a 4Gb MicroSD Card and selected as the device to use and it still wants to use the Zones to download? Any advise as to how to get them all at once?

The Live Services will not connect also. It says all valid until 23/07/2011 and I have used my 'new' username and password as used on the TTHome and online for My Account. Again any ideas?

I will look for anything on these problems in the posts also.

Thanks for the advise and help so far.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the 750 works in the same way as the 720 when a card's inserted.

If you haven't already backed up your device to your computer (using Windows Explorer, NOT Home) do so now. Then disconnect the device properly from your computer.

Put your blank card in a card reader and copy your backup to it. You should now find that Home sees the card as your device, and you can update the map on the card. When you insert the card in your device it will boot from the app on the card, but you will have to select the new map in Preferences.

Another advantage of putting the new map on a card is that, if you have problems with the new map, you can select the old working map instead or remove the card until you (or TT) sort it out.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Lasertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home sees the two Devices ok and I can also switch between them making the mSD card the device to use.
However when I select download the latest v850 map it says that the Map needs to be downloaded in Zones, and there is enough space for this? There are 4 zones to choose from N,S,E,W, the best being Western Europe for me. Are the other 3 Zones included to be downloaded or is this a one off attempt?

I understand the logic you are stating about the backup, but what's the significant difference to copying the files via Explorer or backup via Home?

So with all the latest files from the TT memory now on the card, you still leave all the files still in the memory also. So what I understand you are saying is that TT Home will read the SD card first as the main device? Then will all 4 zones be allowed to download, or as I said earlier do we only get a choice of 1 zone from 4?

At present I do not have an adapter for the MSD to my card reader, but with the card in the 750, both the drives are visible and usable in explorer.

Live services were working via Home and now seem to be working on the device (for now).
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered the refurb 930 yesterday and should be getting it delivered tuesday.
after quite a lengthy disscussion with customer support he said once i get it, do a backup and then download the latest map?????
make your mind up tom tom.
if on the offchance im one of the unlucky ones and it doesnt let me download the latest map would it be possible to drag and drop from my 910 which i updated last year with the full uk/europe/north america maps?

report back next week Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasertek wrote:
I understand the logic you are stating about the backup, but what's the significant difference to copying the files via Explorer or backup via Home?

The significant difference is that Home makes only one backup and next time you do one, it overwrites the previous one, so you've only ever got one backup. You will be aware that the purpose of backups is to roll back to a previous working setup. So if you happen to backup a dodgy setup, that's the only backup you'll have. A slightly less significant difference is that Home has been known to be selective in what it backs up, avoiding some files for some reason or other. Restoring that could drop some very important files.

Windows Explorer backups are simply copies of everything on your device. We generally put the copies of each set into folders on the PC which we can recognise - personally I use the date and a couple of bits of info to go with it, e.g. Go550 2010-07-24 pre OS 9.054. I need to be a bit long-winded with five different devices (soon to be six).

MrDJ Your 910 map will not work on your 930 - TomTom's maps are locked to the specific device for which they were bought.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read TomTom's web site, you can't download the complete Western Europe map onto the card unless your old map is already there.
I copied my old map and the application onto my 4GB card and connected it to my PC using a card reader, the device itself was not connected. TomTom Home recognised the card as a Go720 and offered me the complete or the zoned versions. I chose the complete map and it installed it on the card, overwriting the map that was already there. When inserted into the 720 the card is the effective device, and it works fine. (I also have the zoned map on the internal memory of the 720, and this works if I remove the card). The zoned version using the internal memory is slightly faster calculating routes than the full version on the card.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Lasertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Thanks.

I can confirm that regardless wether you select the 4Gb card to install to, it will only install to the 2gb Internal memory where the existing map is, and has replaced the supplied Europe map with the Western Europe Zoned map.

I will buy a card adapter and copy my backed up origional files to the 4Gb card, unhook the 750 and do the method you have stated above.

Many Thanks.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasertek wrote:
Home sees the two Devices ok and I can also switch between them making the mSD card the device to use.

Home may let you select the card, but it seems to ignore your selection when checking the available space, and probably when installing the map too. You therefore need to connect the card via a card reader, and to be completely safe don't have the device connected at all. You should then be able to install the complete map to the card.

Quote:
However when I select download the latest v850 map it says that the Map needs to be downloaded in Zones, and there is enough space for this? There are 4 zones to choose from N,S,E,W, the best being Western Europe for me. Are the other 3 Zones included to be downloaded or is this a one off attempt?

If you don't use a card I believe you can download all four zones to your computer, but only install one at a time to your device.

Quote:
So with all the latest files from the TT memory now on the card, you still leave all the files still in the memory also.

It's up to you. You can delete the app from the device if you want to. Or you can delete the app from the card, but you'll need to copy it on again next time you update the maps, unless TT reduce the size for the next release. It's worth leaving the old map on the device until you're sure the new one is satisfactory, so you can easily revert to the old map if you encounter problems.

Quote:
So what I understand you are saying is that TT Home will read the SD card first as the main device?

Home will do what it feels like doing, which is why you should use a card reader when you want to use the card. The TT device will boot from the card if it contains software. It will use whichever map you've selected in Preferences.

Quote:
At present I do not have an adapter for the MSD to my card reader, but with the card in the 750, both the drives are visible and usable in explorer.

Yes, as you would expect you can access both drives in Explorer.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Lasertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anita. I think I am getting to understand the process, however....

I have completed the transfer of my original 750 files to the card via a reader. With the reader and card only (no 750), I then proceeded to update the sofware, but this time without the v9 Navcore (My Live Traffic was not working, but Google and Petrol etc were?).
The Whole Europe_2Gb maps were allowed top download to the device, success.
Now when the card is put into the 750, after the initial setups, it states No Maps Found! I am unable to go further.

Please advise as to what may be doing this now?
The internal memory with Western Europe and Navcore 9.054 still works.

PS How can I put the previous working (with Live) Navcore back onto the Internal memory, instead of another full restore and downloads etc.

Thanks
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MrDJ Your 910 map will not work on your 930 - TomTom's maps are locked to the specific device for which they were bought.

dalm! Smile thanks Dennis.
back to the drawing board.
lets just hope it lets me download the maps then. fingers crossed.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasertek wrote:
With the reader and card only (no 750), I then proceeded to update the sofware, but this time without the v9 Navcore

What Navcore have you now got on the card?

Quote:
(My Live Traffic was not working, but Google and Petrol etc were?)

I'm sorry, I don't have a Live device so have no experience of Live Services, but someone in this thread had the same problem. He contacted Tomtom and says they have reset his subscriptions from their end and it now appears to work.

Quote:
The Whole Europe_2Gb maps were allowed top download to the device, success.
Now when the card is put into the 750, after the initial setups, it states No Maps Found! I am unable to go further.

If you connect the card to your computer via a card reader does Home recognise it as a device, and does Operate My Go work?

Quote:
The internal memory with Western Europe and Navcore 9.054 still works.

Good. At least you still have a working device!

Quote:
PS How can I put the previous working (with Live) Navcore back onto the Internal memory, instead of another full restore and downloads etc.

I didn't think you'd changed the internal memory, just copied it to your pc, so without the card inserted the device should behave exactly as it did before.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Lasertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reverted back to the absolute beginning yet again.
I have restored my original backup 'as new'.

The internal memory has Navcore v9.001 with Europe_2Gb v8.35.2448 map. This works ok, but the Live Traffic services will not connect. Initially I thought it was the latest Navcore v9.054 but this proves that it must be the latest v9.xxx. I will have to call TT CS and reset my account.

The card is recognised by Home and the 750, but with the Full Europe updated maps installed via Home, after the initial setup it states 'Maps not found'.

This is the same when I update the Internal memory to the Zoned Western Europe with Maps not found. There seems to loads of people with this problem, but I can not seem to find a definitive answer as to what to do to rectify this?

Hence the stage I am at now, with a working device back to new factory settings.

I will do the card later, as I am now getting frustrated after two days of trying to update the latest v850. maps.

My TomTom GO 500 was so simple as it has only a SD card and no internal memory. You simply put a bigger card in for the new maps.
Lasertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partial success. Formatted everything and installed the original backed up files again, then downloaded the relevant maps and application updates to the Internal memory, then via the card reader the 8Gb msd card.
All now working with the 8Gb card it has the latest Nav9.054 and Full Europe_2Gb map v850.2802.
I have left my Internal memory with the original files supplied Nav v9.001 and Europe_2Gb Map v835.2448.
Then on first bootup with the Card the Live services connected with success Very Happy . But after only a few minutes, connection lost and again my account was not eligible Crying or Very sad , although the Plus server accepts my username and password and as others are saying it states valid until 22 July 2011.
It has to be TomTom trying to get their servers to work.
I think I will leave this now for a week or so, and then see what the outcome is.
What a long 2 days trying to get this right. It's happening to so many people that it has to be TTs procedures etc. All we want is to plug in and get the updates without any hassle.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: