Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950) Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTomTom have today announced the new x50 range of devices. With IQ-Routes as standard the 550, 750 and 950 feature a new optimised and more intuitive user interface. TomTom claim the new x50 range "calculates a route faster than ever before and ensures drivers are ready to go within seconds".

The voice command has been massively improved with over 100 tasks available to control just by speaking; these include route planning, changing preferences and making a phone call. The speaker has also been improved.

The 950 includes Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT) which was also seen in previous 9xx models and allows the drivers position to be better estimated with low GPS reception (such as in tunnels).

The x50 range will be available in Autumn and as soon as we have them we will post more information on the full specification and some more images.

Full Press Release:

Berlin, 03 September 2009 – Today, TomTom announces its new flagship series TomTom GO x50. The three portable navigation devices; TomTom GO 950, TomTom GO 750 and TomTom GO 550 combine TomTom's leading IQ Routes™ technology, stylish design and powerful route calculation with a completely optimised user interface. Full attention has been paid to the integration of TomTom's routing technologies into the user interface of the device, making it more intuitive and easier to operate. "As the world's leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps, it is our duty to constantly break new ground, developing unique technologies with the sole purpose of making the driver's journey more reliable, predictable and affordable," says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director of TomTom. "All the models of the new TomTom GO x50 series have been designed to do exactly this. They are fast and easy to operate and take the stress out of any driver's journey by providing the latest travel and delay times."

Optimised functionality

The TomTom GO x50 series now also features voice command and control. For the first time users can operate their device by using their voice. Over 100 tasks can be activated by voice, like planning a route, changing preferences or making a call. This means drivers can keep their eyes focused on the road and their hands on the wheel, contributing to road safety. In addition, The TomTom GO x 50 series has an enhanced speaker, which ensures clear voice instructions and improved hands free calling.

On top of this, new menus including a frequent destinations menu have been added to calculate a route to a frequently visited destination easier and faster. Finally, an Eco Routes option has been added to the route options menu, so drivers can select the most fuel-efficient route to help reduce their impact on the environment.

Enriched Points of Interests database

In selected European countries, the new TomTom GO x50 series has been enriched with third party Points of Interest (POI's) content, including Yellow Pages in Denmark, Merian Scout in Germany and Guia Campsa in Spain.

Increased map coverage

The TomTom GO x50 series features more maps than ever before, including Malta, Greece and Turkey for the first time. In addition, all devices offer TomTom's unique Map Share™ technology which allows users to make instant changes to the map and share these with others through TomTom HOME, TomTom's free desktop application. TomTom GO 950 comes with pre-installed maps for door-to-door navigation in US, Canada and 45 countries in Europe and offers Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT) for uninterrupted navigation even when driving through tunnels; TomTom GO 750 offer seamless door-to-door navigation across 45 countries in Europe; TomTom GO 550 features maps of a selected country or region in Europe.

Price & availability

The TomTom GO x50 series will become available this autumn. Pricing will be revealed upon product availability. Availability varies per country

- END –

For more information, visit: http://www.tomtom.com/page/GOX50

Notes to editor:

Ad 1: About TomTom IQ Routes™ TomTom IQ Routes applies the historical travel time experience of millions of drivers to calculate the fastest route possible. The technology is based on historical speed measurements for every time of day, one for every road segment, from large motorways to small local roads. In up to 35% of all cases, the use of IQ Routes results in driving a faster route, saving significant travel time as well as money and fuel.

Ad 2: Voice command and control is available on the TomTom GO x 50 series in the following countries: Australia, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, France, UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes the iPhone app seem all the more antiquated!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone reckon the IoM will be on it? Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once again TT alienate early adopters. 940 no longer the best. But when will this OS make it to other models I wonder.

As for the iPhone comment. No technical reason why the iPhone cannot do all of this other than TT not wanting to offer it and potentially lose sales. iPhone users are often early adopters who will spend money of the kit is worth it. Offer this functionality on the iPhone and and you don't need to buy a 950.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more information:

Quote:
New menus including a frequent destination menu have been added to calculate a route to a frequently visited destination faster and more easily. An Eco Routes option has also been introduced, so drivers can select the most fuel-efficient route to help reduce their impact on the environment.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly the above article makes no mention of Live Services although on the website they are referred to as the X50 Live range.

I wonder if it will be worth the upgrade from the 940 or if to wait for the 960? Faster route calculations would be great if they work with the HD Traffic, I hate the current wait for the answer when about 500 yards from a junction and it is considering if there is a faster route available.

What exactly is Live snapshot?

Built in TMC for abroad or for when Live Services aren't working?

Will the IQ routes offer better data than the maps that will be available for current units?

What is the 1/3/6 month trial, different for 5/7/9 units or is the 1 month for the UK users?

I will wait for the reviews before deciding if the extra features are worth the upgrade from the 940 and passing it to the other-half.

Will it be the bug free?
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not to worried about the early adoption of my 740 already leaving me with a supposedly lesser device.. I don't see anything significantly new. Mostly just re-marketing and some slight reworking of current functions.

New voice commands? How useful will most of these be? You can already get the weather for your destinations, reroute to practically any destination whilst on the move and add cameras/favourite locations etc. I can't really think of anything else I'd really want to do. I bet the 100 tasks includes different variations of commands for the same function too.

Frequent destinations? Those are already all stored as my favourites.

Eco Routes? Motorways are where you get the best mileage, so how often will the eco route not just be the same as the fastest route?

The only thing that would have been nice to have with my x40 would be the RDS-TMC dock... but how much more will they be charging for including that?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950) Reply with quote

Already discussed here Laughing Laughing

News Team wrote:
The voice command has been massively improved with over 100 tasks available to control just by speaking; these include route planning, changing preferences and making a phone call. The active dock includes RDS-TMC which can be used abroad too and the speaker has also been improved.
That had to be bought separately for the x40. But is it necessary if they extend the Live service?

News Team wrote:
Ad 3: RDS-TMC traffic information is currently available in: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. RDS-TMC traffic information is also available in selected regions in the US, Canada and Australia.
Looks like there is still no traffic for Ireland Sad

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950) Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

What does it matter, you'll be there by tomorrow? Laughing
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950) Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

What does it matter, you'll be there by tomorrow? Laughing
Laughing Laughing With some of the queues I've sat in on the M50, I've had my doubts! Laughing Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of the feature that I would really like: a decent battery life.

I have no desire to use the machine with a wire trailing down to the cigar lighter or to tear the car apart to fit a concealed socket. I have had a faulty tomtom car power adaptor that got VERY hot in use and I am thankfull that it was not burried behind the dash when it did this.

I travelled across America in a hire car with a faulty power socket. My GO 510 managed more than 5 hours without being charged. I would upgrade to a new model if it offered me a similar battery life to the GO510.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they have corrected the dreaded hands free phone stutter?

I hope it is not a case carrying over the existing problems, but add more functions in hope it will entice the existing TomTom user.
GO 920 Dead
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the first time users can operate their device by using their voice. Over 100 tasks can be activated by voice, like planning a route, changing preferences or making a call.

For the first time???
Is this an admission that it was crap on the x40's? Is this any better, or do you still have to tap the screen so many times you wonder why you bothered shouting at it in the first place?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on the voice commands as you had to give so many to achieve anything and everytime you gave it one it asked for a confirmation or took a yes or no from the car audio system or the kids trying to confuse it.

Quite entertaining for the kids to see an irate frustrated parent arguing with a navigation device. Perhaps if it issued a mild electric shock to any rear seat passenger who asked it "are we there yet" I might buy it.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't they just fix all the bugs on existing models instead of another model launch.

I have to look back at my 500 to find a model that worked.
Too many bugs just go from model to model and never get sorted.

I think i may consider other makes next time around as all the new stuff just hasn't worked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: