Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GARMIN nuvi 310 - stuck on Updating GPS Software 0%
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GARMIN nuvi 310 - stuck on Updating GPS Software 0%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesbondniuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: GARMIN nuvi 310 - stuck on Updating GPS Software 0% Reply with quote

Hi all
My Nuvi 310 refuses to update GPS Software (stays at 0%). I'll be honest, it did take a slight fall from my windscreen to the car mat ......
Ive been messing about trying hard resets and soft resets trying to get it to update but wont! Sad
I've also ran the battery completely flat and tried booting up. I've also used web updater and 'mygarmin' site to no avail. I've also tried the PRE-BOOT MODE to 'install software' ... nothing

It wont find satellites etc due to this failure Evil or Very Mad

Any help will be most appreciated, thanks Not Worthy
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may suggest 3 things

1) How old is it ?

2) From the issues that you describe I would suggest that you take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement as you shouldn't be having all that malarkey for a new sat nav.

3) Nomally the updater is plug in off you go "does every thing as it says on the tin".

Jerry
Jamesbondniuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rudd wrote:
If I may suggest 3 things
1) How old is it ?
2) From the issues that you describe I would suggest that you take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement as you shouldn't be having all that malarkey for a new sat nav.
3) Nomally the updater is plug in off you go "does every thing as it says on the tin".
Jerry

Hi Jerry and thanks, but its about 3 yrs old, no joy with the web updater - it completes etc but makes no difference.

Everythings pointing towards the EPROM, but is there anyway to 'reflash'?

Thanks again
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GARMIN nuvi 310 - stuck on Updating GPS Software 0% Reply with quote

Jamesbondniuk wrote:
I'll be honest, it did take a slight fall from my windscreen to the car mat

It's possible that the fall disconnected the ribbon cable from the GPS receiver to the main board.

When the satnav boots, it checks the version number of the GPS firmware, and if it has a local copy with a higher version number, it will attempt to load it. It's not very clever though: if it can't access the GPS receiver, it treats the existing version as "0.0"

You can probably stop the incessant flashing attempts by deleting the corresponding firmware image (I think it's 006B047800.bin). You can safely delete all .BIN and .GCD files on this unit.

If you go to "'spanner' | System | About", what does it say next to 'GPS SW Version'?

Also, if you press the 'satellite strength indicator', to view the detailed satellite view, do you see any information, other than two concentric circles?
Jamesbondniuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Phil. I checked the GPS SW firmware and it's 0.0
Also, the satellite signal is just x2 circles. Nothing else.
I did manage to get into the case of the aerial and chkd the ribbon was attach okay there and it is. I havent made my way onto the main PCB. What do you recommend? Should I try the files to delete 1st?
Cheers
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try re-seating the cable - I've had one that was fine after doing this. (You could even apply the sophisticated modification that Garmin use on later units ... ie a piece of sellotape over the connector Rolling Eyes )

Deleting the .BIN file should be fine (in theory, WebUpdater would download it again if necessary, but you can always make your own backup).

The other fault that befalls the Nüvi 3xx is related to a 'steering' diode for the external aerial. I don't think that's your problem though; it just gives a lack of signal, not the "0.0" version problem ... (you can test for it by attaching a short length of wire to the external aerial socket).
Jamesbondniuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil
got into the main board n reset the aerial ribbon even tho it looked okay. Also disconnected the battery for 5 mins. Also reset the ribbon on the aerial side too. Still no joy. Still won't aquire satellites Sad
Any other ideas ? Many thanks again!
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamesbondniuk wrote:
Any other ideas ?

Entering the diagnostics screens seems to perform some kind of a GPS reset. (Hold the 'time' for 7 seconds to enter - press the Reset button on the back to exit.)

Otherwise, I think substituting a known good GPS receiver module would probably be the next step Sad

Faulty Nüvi 3xx series show up on eBay from time to time, though they're getting scarcer. (The whole 3xx series uses the same GPS module). A lot of them are sold because of broken LCD/touch screens; you could obviously salvage the GPS module from such a unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: