Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Group enabling/disabling of POI's or similar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Group enabling/disabling of POI's or similar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Group enabling/disabling of POI's or similar Reply with quote

I use my TomTom in the UK with quite a few POI’s enabled and frequently use it abroad again with quite a few POI’s enabled.

Because having too many POI’s running slows the unit down I disable the UK ones whilst abroad and vice versa.

It’s a real pain (and time consuming) having to go through the menu switching them on and off as required.

I know the MapSettings.cfg file stores the configuration for the map being used.
I could create several preconfigured MapSettings.cfg files and using a PC switch between them, but this is not ideal.

Does anyone know of a TomTom utility that can allow group switching of POI’s or similar?
I’ve found one for TomTom Navigator but not for the GO series.

It would also be hand for switching off the speed camera database in countries where it is illegal to us e.g. Germany etc.
At the moment I have to pull over before the countries border and switch them off.

TomTom Heaven has a utility to erase and restore POI’s for this purpose, has anyone tried it?

Does it re-enable them with the original POI settings when you restore?

Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't know of any utility to switch POIs on or off in "groups" - I agree it would be VERY useful though.

2. As far as I know, it isn't illegal to have speed camera data in Germany?

3. But in countries where it *is* illegal (such as Switzerland) I think it is illegal to even have them on the satnav at all. Switching them off is not sufficient to avoid a fine!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought would be to prefix the POI filenames with eg UK-, FRA- etc so that all the ones for a particular country are together when you are enabling/disabling them. You'd also need a EUR- possibly for categories with POIs all over Europe etc.

Of course it would be better to just enable the ones you need at the time but you knew that. Smile

Andy_P wrote:
3. But in countries where it *is* illegal (such as Switzerland) I think it is illegal to even have them on the satnav at all. Switching them off is not sufficient to avoid a fine!
FYI Which is why they are not in the download.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:

Andy_P wrote:
FYI Which is why they are not in the download.

Not in the PGPSW download.... OP may have got them from elsewhere?
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
1. I don't know of any utility to switch POIs on or off in "groups" - I agree it would be VERY useful though.

2. As far as I know, it isn't illegal to have speed camera data in Germany?

The TomTom app on TomTom Heaven deletes all the "offending" POI's from your device, then reboots your TomTom and finally erases itself (the program).
So if your TomTom gets nabbed by the police there’s no offending information left on it Very Happy
I'm not brave enough to try it though Shocked

I have prefixed all my groups of POI's e.g Euro, UK etc. to make life easier, but it's still a pain as on my 910 you have to go through every POI option each time you enable them Mad

As some of the areas/countries I travel in have very bad and dangerous roads, enabling a handful of POI's is a nightmare Sad
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of GPS camera location data is illegal in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

In Germany and Austria it must not be enabled and in Switzerland mustn’t even be on the device.

I've been told by friends in Germany that just touching the screen of your SatNav whilst driving is an offence!

I'll just wait quietly to one side whilst someone corrects me Razz
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fruitlessly searched for details of the 910, hoping to find it has SD card feature, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I was going to suggest two (or more) SD cards, one with the map with cameras, one without them, just shove 'em in and out as required.

So thinking sideways, have you enough space on the hard drive to have two copies of the map as above and switch maps?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
The use of GPS camera location data is illegal in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

In Germany and Austria it must not be enabled and in Switzerland mustn’t even be on the device.

You certainly seem to be right about Germany, according to THIS TOPIC (which I posted in! Embarassed)
The only mention of Belgium is that GPS SatNavs are legal there, which doesn't help much.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I have fruitlessly searched for details of the 910, hoping to find it has SD card feature, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Stop searching as a 910 only has a 20GB internal Hard Drive with no SD card slot so the best approach is duplicate maps with the .pna file editted to you know which map copy is which - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I have fruitlessly searched for details of the 910, hoping to find it has SD card feature, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
It doesn't, only a 20GB Hard Drive unit.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Stop searching as a 910 only has a 20GB internal Hard Drive with no SD card slot so the best approach is duplicate maps with the .pna file editted to you know which map copy is which - Mike

Yep with a 20GB hard drive I've got plenty of room to create 2 copies of my map.

I have considered creating two copies of the same map (with an edited PNA file), but with different configurations for each map.

Would Map Share update both copies?

If not I could write a little batch file to ensure the map and Map Share files are the same in both folders (apart from the PNA & MapSettings files).

It’s a shame that the MapSettings.cfg file can’t be manually edited as it’s a binary file Sad

Thanks for all the helpful info guys Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
Would Map Share update both copies?

As a guess, I'd think it would only update the map you are using at the time you connect. But I really don't know - see my signature! If it does only update one of them, don't bother with batch files, simply switch maps and update again?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I've never seen any reason to have POIs enabled. In fact I'm always annoyed that I always have to disable them after doing a search for one.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason which I use a lot....

With the POIs selected you can check them for accuracy, and report any that are wrong (either to TomTom or to PGPSW).

That's especially important for the speed camera database - if the TT decides not to do a proximity alert for a camera on the other carriageway (because it isn't "on route") then you have no quick way to know if it is in the database or not.

For that reason, I tend to keep all the PGPSW camera categories (including Verifier files) on display constantly, and then (when I feel up to it) I switch on something like Petrol Stations or Chemists, and flag a load of corrections.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some homework on the various ways it could be done, I've given up Sad

I did create multiple map folders with tweaked pna files, but this was a messy method to keep up-to-date all the POI’s Map Shares etc.

The simplest way to achieve what I’d like would be the ability to switch between preconfigured mapconfig.cfg files.

I'm sure a simple Linux shell script could do the job, but this is beyond my ability Sad

Thanks for all the help guys.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: