Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 70 Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 70 Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cubit I can confirm google is the same on all units I find it the same as you a bit of a gimmick I have used it for a couple of things but even then found it not to be the most accurate.
cabmanuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
cabmanuk - yes, you can certainly add the PGPSW cameras quite easily. The only possible problem is if you want the lot, as there are slightly more than 10,000 which is the Navigon 70's (Premium & Live) limit. I have quite a lot of other POIs I have also added, so have just put on the redlight cameras so far, with maybe the mobiles later, and will then see if the Navigon cameras are up to scratch for the rest (well, you never know, do you Darren! Razz ). I can always add them later if necessary.

There is a view that the limit may be able to be increased with care (to keep efficient operation) - if I or anyone else find that this is so, I'm sure there will be an update post here!

(BUT note that the 70 Plus ONLY takes 1,000!!. It SEEMS to be the only one in the whole range with that low limit - all the 40s are 10K, and the 20s seem to disappeared off the radar. Glad I never bought one of them!)

Hi BigPerk

Thanks for the reply, the navigon sounds like a good unit Laughing Out Loud you know what its like when you are use to one sat nav its hard to change(creature of habit) Laughing Is there a quick fix satellite update for it like the TT and is there good support for it?

Thanks cabmanuk
cubit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabmanuk wrote:

Hi BigPerk

Thanks for the reply, the navigon sounds like a good unit Laughing Out Loud you know what its like when you are use to one sat nav its hard to change(creature of habit) Laughing Is there a quick fix satellite update for it like the TT and is there good support for it?

Thanks cabmanuk

From my experience with the 70 Premium Live over the last week, i found the Satellite fix for every journey to be very fast, no delay at all.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... And Navigon support is no worse on average than the others (sometimes good, sometimes awful). At the moment it's pretty good. But one of the things I find really good is their continuing development of new facilities. Mind you, even that can be frustrating when you've just bought a unit only to find it becomes overtaken by a new series. Evil or Very Mad But they do often offer update packages to bring the latest facilities onto earlier series models. Smile They seem much more into rapid development and improvement than either Garmin or TT in my experience (one reason I think why support drops off sometimes).

You've probably read here that some find their menus a bit less intuitive than TT's - as you say, changing takes getting used to, but I DO think it's worth it here! Razz (most of the time Rolling Eyes ).

Good Luck. Be very interested to hear how you get on Shocked
cabmanuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
... And Navigon support is no worse on average than the others (sometimes good, sometimes awful). At the moment it's pretty good. But one of the things I find really good is their continuing development of new facilities. Mind you, even that can be frustrating when you've just bought a unit only to find it becomes overtaken by a new series. Evil or Very Mad But they do often offer update packages to bring the latest facilities onto earlier series models. Smile They seem much more into rapid development and improvement than either Garmin or TT in my experience (one reason I think why support drops off sometimes).

You've probably read here that some find their menus a bit less intuitive than TT's - as you say, changing takes getting used to, but I DO think it's worth it here! Razz (most of the time Rolling Eyes ).

Good Luck. Be very interested to hear how you get on Shocked

Thanks mate

If I take the plunge I will put my feedback on here.

I drive around London most of the time and in the built up areas like the city the signal on the tom tom shows that you are in another street to which you actually are.(normally parallel)Have you noticed this with the Navigon?

Thanks cabmanuk
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the 70 in London yet, but my earlier 8310 seemed fine going through. But I know built-up areas cause problems with satellite reception generally for satnavs - I would guess though that it depends more on the MODEL you buy than the MAKE, as to how sensitive/accurate its GPS receiver is.
roger-m
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm moving from Garmin and looking to get a 70 series but had the chance to try a 40 at Halfords today. One question, how do you input a destination? The postcode entry didn't identify a road or house number. Is the 70 any different?

Thanks
Roger
cubit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 70,
enter postcode, select the road when shown, then enter number.
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-m as cubit said when it asks for the city this is where you enter the postcode then choose the street name and number or nearest crossing. It took me a few tries to get used to but I think im there now.

Ok so have been on some more journeys this week. Went to Essex managed to hit some traffic on the M25. I can now confirm it did add this to my final journey time. I also got it to reroute me whist stuck and it took the route I would have so that good news. Also whist stuck in traffic it changed a hold up from yellow to red which banged the delay from 15 to 30 minutes however this only changed to red once I had spent 35 minutes in the jam. I guess you win some and loose some. On the whole the system performed brilliantly over the last few days. The last couple of journeys the arrival time has seemed a little more accurate, I heard somewhere that the planning of routes and arrival time get more accurate each time you use it as it gets used to your driving style. Not sure if this is true or not but seems to be accurate for me.

I haven't had a chance to change the ini file with the poi number yet. Has any body tried this to see what results they get? I have turned off a number of the poi I'm not interested in the hope that when I do load on the extras it will not have a negative impact.

I will continue to update as I get more info
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-m as cubit said when it asks for the city this is where you enter the postcode then choose the street name and number or nearest crossing. It took me a few tries to get used to but I think im there now.

Ok so have been on some more journeys this week. Went to Essex managed to hit some traffic on the M25. I can now confirm it did add this to my final journey time. I also got it to reroute me whist stuck and it took the route I would have so that good news. Also whist stuck in traffic it changed a hold up from yellow to red which banged the delay from 15 to 30 minutes however this only changed to red once I had spent 35 minutes in the jam. I guess you win some and loose some. On the whole the system performed brilliantly over the last few days. The last couple of journeys the arrival time has seemed a little more accurate, I heard somewhere that the planning of routes and arrival time get more accurate each time you use it as it gets used to your driving style. Not sure if this is true or not but seems to be accurate for me.

I haven't had a chance to change the ini file with the poi number yet. Has any body tried this to see what results they get? I have turned off a number of the poi I'm not interested in the hope that when I do load on the extras it will not have a negative impact.

I will continue to update as I get more info
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked Navigon again about increasing the POI limit - haven't found the right place on the 70 itself to change yet. It won't actually let you load more than the 10K, giving a message that the extra ones have not been loaded.

One slightish problem I've found is with Voice Control - I'd be interested to know if others have found the same (= software glitch Confused ?) or not (= I've got a faulty unit Rolling Eyes ) . When Proximity Sensor is OFF it's ok - touch the screen and the status bar and voice icon appear and I can use voice control; BUT when Proximity Sensor is ON and I wave my hand near the screen, only the status bar appears - no voice icon or function in sight Twisted Evil .
Skintdad678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller made the interesting comment somewhere that
Quote:
just need the right person at customer support to help, rather than the ones I've had so far, who just read from a list, it seems
This is exactly what I am finding. Answers come pretty quickly now, which is good, but rather like with politicians, they are not the answers to the questions you ask! So A+ for response time, Z- for helpfulness! Confused

I'm on the 3rd round of some of my questions and have just told Navigon what I think they need to do (modest me) - their immediate response is ' er, what is it you say you actually want us to do...?' Rolling Eyes

Incidentally, got fed up with waiting for the PC to take days to fully charge the unit - got a mains/cigarette lighter charger on Amazon which was cheaper than Navigon's own (and more flexible if you've got other car-based things to charge up). And I can now use it in the house for planning while it's on charge. Glad about that Razz
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Incidentally, got fed up with waiting for the PC to take days to fully charge the unit - got a mains/cigarette lighter charger on Amazon which was cheaper than Navigon's own (and more flexible if you've got other car-based things to charge up). And I can now use it in the house for planning while it's on charge. Glad about that Razz
Just my 2p - yes I am still here! Preferably 1000mA as car unit is 1300mA. Curry's do/did a Matsui one which has lasted well (previous one went black and crinkly).
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed another recent post about weird routing on some Garmins, which has made me think a little about the maps themselves, as both Garmin and Navigon use Navteq as their supplier. First off, it's often said here that Navteq maps are the same across units (apart from the possible different lead times for implementation which can lead to different dates/versions of the map data). But I wonder if that's the whole story - I presume that different manufacturers (and possibly even different models) would convert the original data into a different internal format for their own software. So even if the source IS the same, there is plenty of scope for differences to be introduced by (eg) conversion errors or use of just a selected parts of the base map data.

Skintdad678 - I've had a quick look at the Navteq site (but have forgotten your examples Embarassed ). The map error reporting page shows a Google-type map which I assume to be the curernt version. It might be interesting to check your problem roads against that to see if it's either Navteq or Navigon that may have it wrong. Be interested, even though it's no cast-iron guarantee.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: