Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 70 Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 70 Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if they meant changing from one destination to a new one, this says a lot more about the reviewers than it does about Navigon. I hope they don't rely too much on their satnav at the expense of their brains, otherwise there might be another mishap!
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: about live services Reply with quote

i had a email from navigon today about the live traffic in the uk; they say that it aint active yet .

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your e-mail.

We sincerely apologise for the late reply and for any inconvenience it might have caused.

Regarding your query, unfortunately at the moment Traffic Live is not active in UK and we have no information regarding a future date of activation.

We are at your entire disposal for further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Sigrid Dragan

NAVIGON AG
Berliner Platz 11
97080 Wuerzburg
Phone for United Kingdom: 0871-2880154 (0,10 GBP/€/min. Fixed network, mobile tarifs may
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well SOMEONE at Navigon is talking out of the wrong end! Twisted Evil On 30/12/09 Stephen Purdue (one of the few there who actually seems to know anything), emailed me to say
Quote:
You can use the traffic live function in the UK already but at the moment the devices are not beeing sold in the UK by us yet, but if you get a French or other european device the live features will work in the UK
And I thought several people on here have already said they've been using it over the last month or so.

Anyway, I've asked Navigon to confirm (preferably Stephen Confused ). But I DO think it's a false alarm (we'll see Rolling Eyes )
Skintdad678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My Live Service seems to be working OK. The Live icon is grey, indicating that it is recieving the service. I have also been warned about traffic on my route and I can see other traffic information for other roads.
Whilst I am delighted with the unit overall, I am mystified at some of the routing decisions it makes. When travelling in my local area it has twice tried to route me down no through roads. Very strange; I never experienced this with my TomTom.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you point me to those no-through roads, Skintdad678 (without disclosing your own location) to try out on my satnav?
Skintdad678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
I have sent you a pm with the details.
Trevor
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now done a couple more trips with the device most recently to Doncaster. The routing seems more logical since I changed the profile to fastest - Skintdad not sure if you have done this but may be why you are getting funny routing at the moment.

The Trip to Doncaster I managed to run a side by side comparison of the Tom Tom on the whole both were running the same route so mostly the same. The Live on the Tom Tom does seem to show traffic on a more regular basis than the Navigon. One area that was different to the Navigon is when traffic is encountered, all of the hold ups on my routes have shown as under a minute on the Navigon Where as on the Tom Tom the same hold ups showed 38 mins by the time I arrived to the hold up the Tom Tom had changed to show nothing and the route was pretty clear. This suprises me as both are supplied by the same supplier (except for the floating data - although I would expect there to be more Tom Tom users I would have thought these would be similar). Will need to test this further as I encounter more traffic hold ups to see if the Navigon does show hold ups more accurately. I have a couple of trips coming up to Kingston where I should encounter traffic a bit more readily.

The one thing that I have noticed is that the traffic delay is not added to the estimated arrival time which it is on the Tom Tom so this is hard to judge just how long it will be before you can expect to arrive home. This is something that Tom Tom was really accurate at. I shall log this with Navigon and see if it can't be added.

I will keep updating as I encounter more trips, but now starting to get used to it and l do still like how it works.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about the traffic delay not being added lads2000? If Reroute on Request is set, the alternative route offered on the map seems to show a revised time ok. If Reroute Automatically is set, then you would not necessarily be made aware of a reroute operation, but I would have thought the recalculated route WOULD then have a new time displayed?
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BigPerk

To be honest I'm now not sure. I used the system travelling to Bagshot the other day and the system registered traffic but no hold ups time wise. There was one and the arrival time was not updated untill after the original arrival time had past. I didn't have my Tom Tom with me to compare the traffic on the two systems. This week travelling to Doncaster the system registered a holdup but no delay on this where as the Tom Tom was showing a 38 min delay which later disappeared. However when I arrived to the site there was no delay only a roadworks with 50 speed limit. The arrival time on the Navigon didn't change from the original planned arrival time as the traffic was picked up a couple of minutes later. This could be because the system didn't register a delay in the traffic that was picked up but really confused. The Tom Tom does seem to have a driving profile that is more accurate on arrival times. I have re-read the manual and it says the delayed time should show in the form of a updated arrival time however so far I have only encountered delays of less that 1 minute or at least in Navigon Live terms. I will need to keep testing this and comparing against the Tom Tom.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been asking a few POI questions with navigating.de about POI-Warner V4. Most of their replies can wait till it's released (still unknown because it depends on some negotiations), but one relevant comment about POIs maybe worth mentioning now
Quote:
...However, it is technically possible to have more than 10.000 active POIs and it depends strongly on your sat nav’s hardware capabilities and software configuration whether exceeding this limit will cause memory problems or not. You can most certainly try installing more than 10.000 POIs and reduce the number if necessary...
This strongly suggests that the 10,000 figure in the ini file is at least worth tweaking experimentally - I've loaded quite a lot of POIs now, which was quite straightforward (and it's good to see them on the map at last Cheers! ) but had to cut the numbers down because the loading terminated at 10,000 with a warning message about some POIs being left out.
cabmanuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lads

I was thinking of getting a new sat nav soon.

The new TT looks to have some real negative write ups and I have only ever used TT(TT 720 at the mo).I need to have the live services on my next sat nav so have been looking and following the new Navigon 70 live.

So the big question is Shocked do you recommend it?

So if poss please keep your views coming as I always prefer personal views rather than some magazine as they can be bias Smile

cabmanuk
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Lads

The new TT looks to have some real negative write ups and I have only ever used TT(TT 720 at the mo).I need to have the live services on my next sat nav so have been looking and following the new Navigon 70 live.

So the big question is do you recommend it?

So if poss please keep your views coming as I always prefer personal views rather than some magazine as they can be bias

cabmanuk

Absolutly I would.... The Premium 70 is a very capable unit, there are a few differencies from the tom tom, but these are just about getting used to the system rather than massive negatives. I'm finding now that I'm getting quicker at setting up things now as I start to use the unit more and more. The traffic has been a bit sticky but not sure this isn't because I have been a lucky sod and missed any traffic jams in the last couple of weeks. Another big learning curve for me has been the amount of detail on the map compared to the Tom Tom, I did find at first and still do to some degree find that the screen in slightly more distracting because of this. However as somebody who has used TomTom for almost 7 years I feel there were always going to be differencies.

I have a few more trips coming up over the next week or so, so will keep the updates coming Smile
cabmanuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lads2000 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Lads

So the big question is do you recommend it?

So if poss please keep your views coming as I always prefer personal views rather than some magazine as they can be bias

cabmanuk

Absolutly I would.... The Premium 70 is a very capable unit, there are a few differencies from the tom tom, but these are just about getting used to the system rather than massive negatives. I'm finding now that I'm getting quicker at setting up things now as I start to use the unit more and more. The traffic has been a bit sticky but not sure this isn't because I have been a lucky sod and missed any traffic jams in the last couple of weeks. Another big learning curve for me has been the amount of detail on the map compared to the Tom Tom, I did find at first and still do to some degree find that the screen in slightly more distracting because of this. However as somebody who has used TomTom for almost 7 years I feel there were always going to be differencies.

I have a few more trips coming up over the next week or so, so will keep the updates coming Smile

Great news that you think its OK Very Happy

I will keep checking for your updates and also can i add the PWGPS cameras to the navigon.

Thanks cabmanuk
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabmanuk - yes, you can certainly add the PGPSW cameras quite easily. The only possible problem is if you want the lot, as there are slightly more than 10,000 which is the Navigon 70's (Premium & Live) limit. I have quite a lot of other POIs I have also added, so have just put on the redlight cameras so far, with maybe the mobiles later, and will then see if the Navigon cameras are up to scratch for the rest (well, you never know, do you Darren! Razz ). I can always add them later if necessary.

There is a view that the limit may be able to be increased with care (to keep efficient operation) - if I or anyone else find that this is so, I'm sure there will be an update post here!

(BUT note that the 70 Plus ONLY takes 1,000!!. It SEEMS to be the only one in the whole range with that low limit - all the 40s are 10K, and the 20s seem to disappeared off the radar. Glad I never bought one of them!)
cubit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent a week down in delightful Essex testing the new toy. All in all, pretty impressed. The Navigon camera alert warned of all the cameras and mobile areas - and spot on for the sneaky copper with the radar gun in the 50mph area at Brampton on the A1.

Directions wise, it only gave one strange route, that was to an address in Ipswich, Stoke Park. Took me down a road with passing points. It was the only time and this may be due to me selecting 'optimum' route.

It was also spot on for guidance with the POIs - was visiting branches of a well known Supermarket.

The Google feature i'm not sure convinced on. It seemed to have a few glaring omissions. Is this due to Navigon or Google? Is it the same for all Google enabled units irrespective of brand?

Bluetooth seems to work well, only down side is speaker volume could be better, that said, i was in the van so this would have a bearing on usability.

Live traffic. I can confirm categorically this is enabled in the UK. Why?
A minor pause in traffic flow on the A1. I stopped in traffic queue, Device showed no hold up, which was correct really. Then i was smacked from behind, A1 blocked, within 5 minutes device should traffic delays at my location.

Overall, quite impressed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: