Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost HD Traffic on new XL Live IQ Routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost HD Traffic on new XL Live IQ Routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TallTone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Lost HD Traffic on new XL Live IQ Routes Reply with quote

Gather ye round and hear my tale of woe...

My TomTom GO 520 had been on its last legs for a while. A friend had recently been very enthusiastic about the new Live service, and having found a good deal (at Amazon) I paid my money and took my chance...

Now I've had trouble with TomTom in the past - Home battles, non-updating TMC receivers, etc. I'm an optimist and thought all that would be in the past Rolling Eyes

XL Live IQ Routes arrives, looks good, power connections much better than before, slimmer, hurrah. Re-visit Amazon page with details of 12-month free Live services offer, navigate to TomTom page - it's now included and I don't need to send off. Double hurrah! Turn unit on - and I do indeed get 12 months. All seems to work - including downloaded traffic info :D

Next evening, decide I had better make a backup and get latest updates. Connect device, accept the switch from my old GO. Press the Backup button - "Backup is not supported on your device". Roll my eyes, kah, going to have to play Russian Roulette! Download the latest map, map-share updates etc. Offer from TomTom - stay up-to-date with maps, £20 - I'll have that.

Now here's the thing. Restart device - no HD Traffic. I have the fuel prices working, the weather, the local search. If I go to the LIVE Services icon, it shows that I have a subscription until June 2011. If I select HD Traffic it says "Your subscription may have expired". Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth. Incidentally, TomTom Home decides that I can now make a backup, so I do.

Now I know a thing or two so I start Googling for solutions. I find the long thread on this forum about the problems following a map update, so I dutifully read all 22 pages - nothing. I have the correct files in place and they're not zero size. I note one user who didn't have zero-size files either for whom a copy works. But when I go to my download folder, the only map in there is a zero-size zip file! I try in vain to find some way to force TomTom Home to re-download the latest map.

And so here I am, still a-wailing, still a-gnashing, and very much hoping that some kind soul on this forum can suggest what I should try next. I'm off work on Monday so I will try calling TomTom support, though it seems that's another form of Russian Roulette Rolling Eyes

Apart from nipping back in time and doing a manual backup before I let TomTom Home anywhere near my device, any ideas?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, when you registered this new device did you use a different e-mail address for the account details to the one you used for the older nav unit, if not it will be this thats messing things up - Call TomTom CS on Monday (0845 161 0009) to resolve the issue - Mike
TallTone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike - superfast response, thanks!

No, I used my previous account name. I read in another forum (after the fact of course!) that this can cause problems, so I tried creating another account and logging in with that - no improvement, so I switched back to the original (I have the map update service on that of course). I guess the damage was already done by linking the device to my original account Sad

Is there a way to re-download maps? Someone on here mentioned "force download" but I couldn't find anything more than that...

Will indeed call TomTom on Monday and hopefully they will be able to sort it out. Maybe if I don't hang up until they've fixed it? 0845 - at least it's not a £1/minute number.
TallTone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes and the map is UK&ROI v850.2781 if that makes any difference.
App 9.053.520930.2, OS 515773.
TomTom Home - latest (2.7 I think) under Windows XP (can't check, I dual boot)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your device is fully up to date with the latest map installed, make a full back up of the device using Windows Explorer BEFORE you do anything else.
Next, start up the device without it connected to the computer, go to change preferences/ Restore Factory defaults, now set up you account details again on the device and see if that fixes the HD Traffic issue, if it doesn't you will have to contact TomTom as they will have to alter what details they have got stored against your device.

This e-mail address issue for multiple devices is a real PITA, you could even use M.Mouse@Disney.com and the TomTom system will accept this, but use the same e-mail address for more than a single device and the system falls over - Mike
TallTone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that and it's now refusing to connect to TomTom services Sad

Will keep trying through the day.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did that and it's now refusing to connect to TomTom services

There might be an outage. Where abouts are you? I've had the yellow exclamation mark all morning (Unable to connect to Server)
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Did that and it's now refusing to connect to TomTom services

There might be an outage. Where abouts are you? I've had the yellow exclamation mark all morning (Unable to connect to Server)

TT Services are also down for me. I hope its up before we leave Kessingland to Staines this afternoon (M25 may be the problem area ).
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be back on now.....
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live services are down currently. Both my GO 950 and iPhone Tomtom app are refusing to load HD traffic or any other Live service!

Steven

iPhone 12
TallTone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my luck Rolling Eyes

Yes I was able to connect later on - no joy though Sad

I've had a response from TomTom support though - must learn to put more detail in the initial ticket!

Will keep you posted but I am sure it will turn out to be use of existing account...
TallTone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was a problem with the account. The magical second-line support did some work on the account and all is now working :-)

Thanks all!
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TallTone wrote:
Yes, it was a problem with the account. The magical second-line support did some work on the account and all is now working :-)

Thanks all!

Great you got it sorted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: