Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does Sygic Mobile Maps 10 actually exist?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Sygic Mobile Maps 10 actually exist?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you got Sygic Mobile Maps 10?
yes
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
no
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Does Sygic Mobile Maps 10 actually exist? Reply with quote

TWO MONTHS AGO, I followed the link on the Sygic home page and bought and downloaded what they said and I thought was SMM10. It was for my windows mobile based HTC HD2. I had been waiting since last year for the new version as Darren was so keen on the old one, but it had quite old maps. At the time, it was just before TomTom made their Navigator 7 available for the HD2, and TomTom are still refusing to provide a latest maps guarantee. But the download was SMM09 and Sygic refused to refund as i had installed it.

So far Sygic keeps promising that the download of SMM10 will happen either within a few days, or next week.

They claim that an install of the current SMM10 will break SMM09 and not work itself. I've never known an app that you couldn't upgrade. OK, for some you have to first uninstall and then install a new version, even Java.

So what I'd like to know is :
HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY BEEN ABLE TO OBTAIN SMM10? Or is Sygic in some elaborate self destructive ploy?
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIUI it only exists on iPhones so far. From the outside it is starting to look like Sygic are forgetting everyone but iPhone users.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
AFAIUI it only exists on iPhones so far. From the outside it is starting to look like Sygic are forgetting everyone but iPhone users.

iPhone version is 8.06 ((c) 2009)

Aura is a totally different product: Sygic Aura v1.15

Android version is MM10 as far as I know? waiting for memory card to arrive so i can install it! Filename is 'SetupSMM10_Europe.exe'

MaFt
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yee of little faith!

This morning at 11:28 I got an email from Sygic telling me that I could now download MM 10 for free for my Android, complete with new maps, and giving me instructions on how to download and install. I am frantically busy at the moment so have not done so yet. I suspect I will have to leave it until the weekend. But would be interested to hear who else has this and what differences there are.

Now all I need is to be told is that HTC have brought out Android 2.1 for my Hero. Come to think about it probably be best to wait intil I have installed that before installing the new Sygic
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little faith - I should think so after 2 month's of broken promises. Probably of less faith now that I hear they have got it for Android.

They seem to be developing everything except their windows mobile version.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the email they sent me it is now available for Symbian Android and Windows Mobile phones. Am I the only one who has got this email? Maybe they are staggering sending them out so as not to overload their servers?
Copilot for USA
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. The only emails I am getting keep telling me about Aura for the iPhone yet nothing for Android or WM which I actually own.
cannt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Sygic Mobile Maps 10 Reply with quote

I got the email on Tuesday. I downloaded the software yesterday and ran into problem activating on my HTC Hero it so I am waiting for Sygic to sort it out. Fortunately I made a backup of the SD card so I still have 9 working.
The installation instructions aren't particularly clear as one set says to uninstall the old version and another set says run the APK file and it will replace the old version.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I may wait a few days - I am doing a long journey tomorrow and back Tuesday so don't want to be without sat nav for them.

What was the problem? Can you keep us posted on how it got sorted please?
Copilot for USA
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have SMM10 running on my windows mobile, HTC HD2. What a palaver. There is no uninstall for the old SMM09, despite what Sygic's instructions say. Indeed there is no uninstall for SMM09 anywhere on the device. Clearly it is the lack of an uninstaller (what a basic error) that might have been the reason for the delay.Mad
So i had to manually delete the program folders, and luckily that was enough to allow me to install Sygic Assistant and copy across the files for SMM10. But it is counter intuitive, sitting doing nothing until I disconnected my HD2 from my PC. (It did not ask me to, but i got bored waiting for something to happen.) THEN the installer ran on the device.
Looking on my device, there is NO uninstall entry within Settings/Application/remove programs. So next time it will be as bad. Or more likely I will change navigation system.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an e-mail yesterday saying the upgrade was available for Android. My first attempt didn't go too well, trying to start MM10 just caused the program to quit after a few seconds. So I installed again, but first removed all trace of the MM9 on the SD card, it workd fine this time.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on an email here Sad

For those with MM10, do you think much has changed to make it a worthwhile upgrade?
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed MM9 but never used it in anger. My experience today with MM10 wasn't good, very poor performance resulting in turns not being announced until after I'd actually made the turn. This was on Android 2.1 on an HTC hero.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaggieBoy wrote:
I installed MM9 but never used it in anger. My experience today with MM10 wasn't good, very poor performance resulting in turns not being announced until after I'd actually made the turn. This was on Android 2.1 on an HTC hero.

Absolutely no problem with this on the HTC HD2 running the stock ROM.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Initial feelings bout Sygic Mobile Maps 10 (SMM10) Reply with quote

A few days usage but only around town really. If I don't exit SMM10 before switching off my phone, it then disappears and won't start again until i have warm re-set the phone. It says silly things like it cannot find a component. or that drive is not valid.
The User's Guide is very sparse.
When I press Navigate to... it takes me to choose where to go, and when chosen I have to click "Route me!". Then it takes me back to the main menu, rather than as SMM09 did (and the User's Guide states on p4), the overview map. So I have to click Back (counterintuitive) to get to the navigation screen, or Route and then "Show route summary".
Traffic does NOTHING. I have connected and it tells me I have Received 55kB and sent 29kB this session, 256 and 138 overall.
I don't see the value of the "Report incident/ dangerous place" as it seems to report where you are when you press the button. It is usual to be diverted round such places, so the chances are it is dangerous because you have taken your eyes off the road to report it and have crashed, or you are not at the dangerous place having been diverted.
I have not tried the "Police Trap" (how american) as I have a subscription to the excellent pocketgpsworld.
POIs are still strange. Shops only includes Partco Autoparts, hardly what i would call a shop - more of a Vehicle Services item, for which there is a POI main category. Parking (for cars) includes Tesco! Culture includes Durham Cathedral (place of worship) and the pubs (nightlife) ...and tells me there is no cinema or library or museum. Pretty pathetic - I will have to find out how to remove them and use those from PGPSW.
Navigate to contact only works some times. It is VERY fussy about addresses, whereas I recall TomTom was happy with those I have, using the street and the postcode. SMM10 does not accept that my sister lives in Wimbledon Park, and only finds her when i change the address in my contacts to Wimbledon. According to the post office, it does not actually need either, so why is Sygic so picky?
Modifying the route is very poor. The choices are only to avoid something a pre-set distance from where you are now (up to 20 miles) or traffic delays (but that does not work). On the day I installed it, I went to Hull, and it routed me via the A1/M62. But I heard on the traffic radio of the Bramham Horse Trials which were around 30 miles away, so I could not re-route. I found out how to change planning preferences to economic and that found me another route. It got me to my destination but once in Hull, tried to go very different routes from how I went. As I deviated to my route it cut the estimated time left by 3 minutes.
On the way back I re-routed through villages, but SMM10 kept trying to take me back to my original route rather than rerouting from where i was.
So far, not significantly different in usage to SMM09, other than the bits that don;t work, but as I mentioned, I've not travelled far yet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: