Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT XL2 IQ Routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT XL2 IQ Routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAW142
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: TT XL2 IQ Routes Reply with quote

I have been using the speed camera database for just over a year without any problems. Just ‘upgraded’ from TT Navigator 6 (on a PDA) to TT XL2 IQ Routes Europe, but there appears to be no facility to manage POI nor change ‘warn when near POI’, therefore unable to set up warning distances and alarms. ‘Double clicking’ the POI only takes me to the cameras! Can’t find anything on the FAQ. Is it still possible to use the PGPSW speed camera database on TT XL2 IQ Routes? If so, grateful to know how I should install. Many thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, is there no "Warn When Near POI" function in the settings menu? I am aware the XL-2 IQ has a simplified menu but I didn't think they had made it so simple that the device would be usless for basic functions such as this to be missing - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no options in the dumbed down menu (oh, sorry, meant 'simplified' Twisted Evil ) for any changes to pois.

I think the main reason is that pois do NOT show in driving view......
SAW142
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: TT XL-2 IQ Reply with quote

Hi Mike thanks for the reply – can’t see any ‘warn when near POI’ or 'POI Management' facility in any menu and David seems to confirm this in his comments. Thought buying XL-2 IQ would be a ‘move up’ evidently not! Perhaps TT are trying to stop the use of 3rd party software in favour of their own inferior software?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TT XL-2 IQ Reply with quote

SAW142 wrote:
Perhaps TT are trying to stop the use of 3rd party software in favour of their own inferior software?

Rather cynical view but there is probably quite an element of truth in what you have said!

If use of custom POI's is important to you I would suggest you take it back and demand your money back stating the device isn't fit for purpose and the missing options were not explained in the shop at the time of purchase, you might be interested to read a similar thread about the same device you have Here - Mike
rossworthy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Siimplified Menu on TT XL2 IQ ROUTES Reply with quote

I, too, bought the XL2 IQ and was a bit put off to find the 'simplified' menu really was simplified. OK to get you there and back but no room for customising POI warnings etc.

But, after reading this thread, I felt obliged to have a 'play' with my XL2.

I managed to install a custom menu - not very pretty - but I can now fully manage POI warnings and also have access to most of the other menu items such as 'route demo' etc. TT have simply papered over the usual menu but everything is there underneath.

As I said previously, it's not pretty and I don't know why it works but it does. There are more experienced people on these forums that have written about customising the menu and as this was my first attempt I am pleased with it. Obviously, I am trying to tidy it up a bit more but don't want to tempt fate and lose anything. Will now download and install the PGPSW speed camera database and fully expect it to work OK.

It really does pay to read these forums and I thank all those kind people that contribute to help others.

url tidied up - Oldboy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the custom menu "hack" worked quite well on the Start device until TomTom plugged the loop hole and prevented access to the custom menu with the very next update to the Navcore - Not impressed with this sort of petty behaviour to be honest.

Whilst I do know how to get speed camera warnings working on the Start post update I refuse to post this information on the forum otherwise that method will also get closed down - I do activley share this method via PM/ e-mail to known established forum members who don't originate from Holland.

If you got this working with the XL-2 then well done but don't rely on this method working for ever as it will probably get turned off with the next Navcore update.

These simplified menu devices are not worth bothering with if you value using quality custom POI's from somewhere other than TomTom, you might have it working at the moment but give it a few months and the next update might undo all your good work rendering the device as useful as a doorstop - Mike
SAW142
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: TT XL-2 IQ ROUTES Reply with quote

Mike thank you for your view. I have tried to use the suggested fix - alas to no avail (just read your lastest). To be honest I am completly hacked off with TT at the moment. I bought TT XL-2 on the understanding that it was a revamp of the XL IQ and only bought it because the original TT XL IQ I purchased was broken and Halfords kindly exchanged it. Quite clearly it isn't and frankly it is no more than a widescreen basic satnav. To keep you up to date, I've been to Halfords where I bought it and explained everything - they must contact TT and confirm that my version is a 'dumbed down' version of the TT XL IQ that I originally purchased and then hopefully get a refund or something else. On this note can you recommend a TT replacement with a management of POI facility in order that I can use the PGPSW speed camera updates or of course another manufacturer. I don't want live updates etc just big enough for me to see it clearly on the dash! Budget is about £200 max. Thanks for your help.
rossworthy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Simplified XL2 IQ Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for the info re the potential problems when the Navcore is upgraded. Typical of me really as I always seem to buy the best bargain and then find it cheaper a bit further down the road. Sad

For what it's worth, I have managed to install the PGPSW speed camera database on my XL2 IQ and it works perfectly, complete with warning sounds. It was very straightforward. Very Happy

Only bought the thing because I finally decided to go widescreen. Now where did I put my faithfull ONE ? Laughing

- Dave
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Simplified XL2 IQ Reply with quote

rossworthy wrote:
For what it's worth, I have managed to install the PGPSW speed camera database on my XL2 IQ and it works perfectly, complete with warning sounds. It was very straightforward. Very Happy
Perhaps you would like to explain how you did this for the benefit of other XL2 IQ users Very Happy
rossworthy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Simplified XL2 IQ Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
rossworthy wrote:
Perhaps you would like to explain how you did this for the benefit of other XL2 IQ users Very Happy

Sorry if I confused anybody about the installation being straightforward. I was referring to my earlier post regarding customising the menu on my LX2 IQ.

After reading the thread about the simplified START menu ( see previous post above for link ) I followed the the instructions there and managed to put a customised menu on my XL2. I then had access to the normal range of preferences including the ' Manage POI ' icon etc.

Because of this I was able to set up the camera warnings as I had done on my ONE. I am not clever enough ( yet ! ) to have found out how to do it without the customised menu 'hack'.

At the time I bought the XL2 I thought it was a good upgrade but I didn't know about the simplified menu otherwise I wouldn't have got it.

But, as Mike has said, when TT update the Navcore I will probably be stuck with a doorstop. Crying or Very sad - Dave
SAW142
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. After confirming with TT, Halfords have agreed to give me a full refund on my TT XL-2 IQ on the grounds that it has a 'simplified' (no POI managment) menu and as such is not a direct replacment for the XL IQ. I'm a happy chappie! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: