Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Carminat TomTom: SD card compatibility
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Carminat TomTom: SD card compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Carminat TomTom: SD card compatibility Reply with quote

I'm looking to add Western Europe maps to my Carminat TomTom. The trouble is that they won't fit on the 2Gb card supplied with the system.

After a little experimentation, I've got everything up and running on a Class 4 Kingston 4Gb MicroSD (with SD adapter) but I'm wondering whether this will cause me any problems after reading the details here:

http://bit.ly/dv5zi8

This seems to proffer a warning: Use anything other but our official 4Gb card, and you're taking a risk. I've had the 4Gb Kingston in place for one journey (about an hour) now and everything seems to be working fine, but is it likely to let me down at some point? I don't want to spend £70 on the maps, get to France and then discover that I can't use them. Equally, I don't want to spend £27 on the officially recommended card from TomTom if the £7 card that I've just bought is likely to work just as well.

I suppose what I'm really looking for is some reassurances from people who've used Carminat TomTom with third-party memory cards, with no ill effects. Hopefully there are some of you out there Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO whats on their web site is total crap, if its working with the card you have purchased and loaded it will be fine, it might be my rather cynical view that the warning on the TomTom web site is only present to entice you to purchase a card directly from them at a rather inflated price.

Keep it with the card you have got working and you shouldn't experiance any issues in use - Mike
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response and the reassurance. I must admit that my cynical side was thinking much the same as yours. My less cynical side thinks perhaps they've had compatibility issues with some cards in the past, and so they've gone for the option of specifying a card that's known to work and disclaiming responsibility for any failures resulting from other cards. 27 quid for a 4Gb SDHC card strikes me as profiteering though.

We're not off to France until the beginning of next month, so I'll run this card with the UK map for another week or so. If I don't have any problems, I'll go for broke with the Western Europe map. If I do, I'll probably just buy the France map, which will fit on my original card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: