Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom make it soooo easy to hate them!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom make it soooo easy to hate them!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How nice - I go off for a couple of hundred miles and come back to all this.

1. Absolutely right, the new layout is probably better EXCEPT I've been using the old layout for 5 years and I'm used to it AND I have more than one device on my windscreen for comparison and confidence purposes. Glancing from one to another used to be looking for the same information in the same place, now it's the same info in the same place on 3 devices and completely different place on the fourth (newest = best?) one - three of them tell me it's 12:22pm and the other tells me 2:21pm. How many "millions" of TT users have been using that layout for years? It's illogical to swap the layout round after all this time.

2. Darren (and anybody else), if the new layout is better for you, are you driving the same sort of miles as I am? Over 5,000 a month? I do so much driving, I even know where the gear stick is without looking! When I look for info on the TT, I know where to look without having to wonder. And have you noticed that the units - pm, mph, miles - are now in feint colour.

3. Signal strength bars - well, somebody told me it's not needed because the new gps chips are so much improved you don't need to know. Can't say I've noticed the slightest difference in holding position. Locking on at the start of the day is definitely no quicker than any of my others. Calculation and recalculation time of routes is worse (but then, hasn't that been progressively the worsening case with each new device series?).

4. I can't remember far enough back to when I didn't have varifocals! But at twice the length of my arm from my eyes to the TomTom on the windscreen, the distance to incident isn't even a squiggle.

5. When vertical, the status bar takes up a quarter of the screen.

6. Random distribution? The word "random" is a random distribution of letters, but over many years, we have come to give it a certain consistent meaning. If somebody were to change it to "arnmod" most of us would have difficulty with it.

7. Different results from tapping it? Apart from the fact that I can't reach it with my new deep dashboard, I don't tap it and I don't want to switch from 2D to 3D mode - that's one reason I have four devices - two on 2D, two on 3D. In London building canyons, it means at least one doesn't start turning somersaults and wandering off into the next street - with a single device, if it suddenly decides it's in the next street, or facing a different direction, the recalculation is a nightmare to handle.

8. Challenge? Nah, it's an issue!

9. Differences between RDS-TMC and HD? You should have seen the differences in route calculations coming back from Petersfield today - the 550 with old map (v835.2419) wanted desperately for me to do at least 2 miles more than the 520 and stuck with it all the way beyond Salisbury until I told it to recalculate route.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

You can't win can you Dennis! Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've told this story before, but that reminds me of my old boss who had his own private plane.

He never felt he could trust his altimeter, so eventually fitted another.

Of course they then gave different results... so he had to fit a third one in the hope that two of them might agree....

You can see where this is going can't you? Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it was going towards where Dennis is at Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to be where I'm at right now - all my lovely modern new technology is falling apart.

My PC crashes every time I run a virus scan and having sent off contacts to the antivirus company, I was stunned by the speed of their replies - all day long, any time, replies within an hour or so, sometimes minutes. It's only after a few days without success that I have begun to realise they just have a better computer than TomTom!

Seeing last night that there's a new Home out, I went to update and it stopped seriously. So I tried to download from TT website and that stopped too. The fact that Home having (supposedly) uninstalled and refusing to reinstall gives me no worries except that I'll need it for the new maps.

My lovely new USB fax modem works fine, but it has clobbered my phone. I need a splitter, I suppose, but the one I've got is not able to accommodate the phone and fax plug, which is so big it blocks access to the other part of the splitter.

I've got a sore throat this morning and on Wednesday night when I checked the draw, the lottery didn't make me rich and obnoxious. The toilet is getting very difficult to flush and there's a hole in my bucket!

And I'm only two into the third series of TomTom's latest £8 offer emails!

Life's a beach right now!

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to top it all TT wait until your XL LIVE goes faulty before they release Nav9 for the rest of us Shocked
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what? I succeeded in getting Home alive again and I then succeeded in downloading Navcore 9 to my XL Live and took it out for a spin today and it didn't freeze or crash once. I can't believe my luck!

Of course, to make up for that, it changed my map colours and started firing Tips at me all day long. Asking to update my 520 and my 700 both freeze the update screen in Home and operate my go doesn't work for some of them (can't remember which of them, it's not a feature I use except to see what works and what doesn't).

So you win some, you lose some. Do you realise, if you didn't use this website or similar and simply used your TomTom without knowing anything, you'd be happy as a pig in muck!

I could be rich and obnoxious later tonight. Smile

I'm off to see what can be done with the latest antivirus support advice/suggestions.

PS - On a note of cheer - relative who persistently speeds got a ticket and 3 points this week. Sometimes the angels up there are watching and dealing out a bit of justice! He asked me for our cameras and I said it's £20 a year and he thought I should let him have them because I "know how to do it". I said £20 a year and smiled.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I said £20 a year and smiled.
Are you keeping the penny for yourself then Very Happy . Will that make you rich and obnoxious Twisted Evil ?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN said:

Quote:
Of course, to make up for that, it changed my map colours and started firing Tips at me all day long. Asking to update my 520 and my 700 both freeze the update screen in Home and operate my go doesn't work for some of them (can't remember which of them, it's not a feature I use except to see what works and what doesn't).

You may find if you try for the updates without trying the emulator first, then the screen won't freeze.
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a good thread to vent my spleen, even if the subject is unrelated. Let's just say I'm not TomTom's biggest fan either.

The date is June 2, 2010, and I'm due to sail to France in two days time. I've read that new maps are 'imminent', but I really can't leave it much later just in case I have problems getting things going. £69.99 seems a bit steep for something that I might only use for a few days, but I take the plunge and go for it.

Two days later: June 4, 2010. I'm on my merry way down to Dover and a lovely e-mail from TomTom is on its merry way into my inbox. Summer Special everyone! Western Europe maps now only £49.99

Today: Phone call to TomTom as a dissatisfied customer to say that I'm not happy about being overcharged. I was polite but reasonably assertive. What were they prepared to do about it? I was told by tier 1 support that they *might* consider giving me a ten pound voucher (and was I interested in using it for their speed camera database? Rolling Eyes) A tier 2 supervisor would call me back to confirm. I'm still waiting for the call.

I suppose in all fairness, I was prepared to pay £70 so they got £70. The maps turned out to be worth the purchase price for this trip alone, and having enjoyed driving my own car in France, I'll probably use them again. But I'm not happy being 20 quid out of pocket for the sake of 48 hours, and customer good will seems to be worthless to TomTom. I was even prepared to spend a £20 credit on buying the maps to update my 700.

Rant over. Though I don't really feel any better.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm. We've already had the discussions about price reductions the day after you buy - it's life! One comment asked what would you want to do if the price went UP the day after - would you offer them the increase difference?

Anyway, if you bought the map which was soon after offered at a reduced price, you bought the OLD map, which they tend to sell off cheap just before they release the new ones. Laughing Laughing Laughing I shouldn't laugh, it's cruel. Sorry. But Laughing Laughing Laughing

Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Mmmmm. We've already had the discussions about price reductions the day after you buy - it's life! One comment asked what would you want to do if the price went UP the day after - would you offer them the increase difference?

Though on just about anything but software, you'd have the option of getting your money back, at least if you were buying on-line and the distance selling regulations applied. If I'd bought an item over the counter from Argos, Maplin or a number of other suppliers, then I'd have the option of taking the item back and getting a full refund for several weeks afterwards.

Yes, that skews things in favour of the consumer, insofar as they're able to cherry pick a better deal, but then again, the consumer is at a disadvantage in not knowing how suppliers plan to muck around with their pricing. On balance, it's probably a fair system.
Quote:
Anyway, if you bought the map which was soon after offered at a reduced price, you bought the OLD map, which they tend to sell off cheap just before they release the new ones. Laughing Laughing Laughing I shouldn't laugh, it's cruel. Sorry. But Laughing Laughing Laughing

I accept that I needed the maps there and then, and that the use that I got out of them provided reasonable value for money. It wouldn't have been logical to drive to Dover without them on the offchance that TomTom might just drop the price within that period. Seriously: What are the odds?

In the grand scheme of things, 20 quid is neither here nor there on a holiday that cost the best part of a grand all in, but that doesn't make it any less galling that I've paid 40% over the odds for nothing, and it's a double whammy after missing out on the free upgrade for the 700 that everyone else seemed to be getting.

Perhaps it's their loss. They could have another 30 quid off me if they'd offer me a decent deal on updating the 700 in lieu of this bad timing. As it stands, I probably won't bother.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test what you are offered for the annual map update service for the 700 - you'll probably find that to update to the latest map AND get the next four maps free is actually cheaper than what you paid for just one map. You'd then have up to date maps on the best TT model still around!

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

700 Western Europe map should update to v850 with no issues at all as thats not got ALG/ IQ Routes data so the map is available.

As for the Carminat - no idea, all I will suggest is a call to TomTom in the morning (0845 161 0009) and see what they have to say, word on the street is that Western Europe maps requiring IQ Routes and ALG data will be released around the end of the month so they won't be much use for your trip, that said the installed maps will be fine as I bet there is little difference - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
word on the street is that Western Europe maps requiring IQ Routes and ALG data will be released around the end of the month so they won't be much use for your trip, that said the installed maps will be fine as I bet there is little difference - Mike

He's already been and come home, Mike.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: