Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Itineraries Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Itineraries Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Itineraries Query Reply with quote

Gave TTN 3 a heavy workout this weekend whilst blatting to and from the Lake District and in use whilst driving around it

I have a few questions related to Itineraries - which don't appear to be covered in the manual (not that I could find anyway)

What does the checking of "multiple destinations" allow for?
What is a "drive by"?
What is the difference between a "drive by" and a "destination" - a "drive by" does not appear to route to the point - just near to it?

David Miles
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not find anything in the manual either, but the way I use itinerary is as follows: -

Set a Drive-by to get a preferred route. I have been careful when selecting the Drive-by point because if it is on the wrong side of a dual carriageway then TTN will find some way of routing through it. This could give rise to confusing directions, so I have avoided it. TTN beeps as you pass through a Drive-by point.

Use Mutliple Destinations to set up an itinerary where I want to stop at a number of points. TTN should take me to the first destination and give me the chance to stop. I presume that it will then navigate to the next destination when I set off again. I have not tried driving to multiple destinations.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

There’s a manual (of sorts) on the TTNav3 installation CD. Assuming that your CD drive is “D”, the manual can be found in:
D:\manual\PPC\refman\english\manual.html
There’s some information in sections 4 (The Itinerary View) and 5 (The Properties).

The checking of "multiple destinations" allows you to create itineraries with more than one destination.

I generally use POIs for destinations. Say I’m going to pick up my girlfriend and then take her to our favourite restaurant, I’d use the relevant POIs and my girlfriend’s house would become the “drive-by” and the restaurant the Destination. TTNav3 routes you to each Drive-by you have selected until there’s none left and then onto the destination.

I’ve also checked “Show numbers in front of items” as this shows numbers in front of each item in the itinerary, which makes it easier to work out, if the itinerary is in the wrong order, as TTNav doesn’t “optimise” the route if you use drive-bys. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for your replies

Yeah I found the manual - it is pretty poor though and doesnt explain it in any level of detail

This last weekend I used favourites for the destinations on my itinerary and just added them to the itinerary from there - which seemed to work
Scott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not sure I can see the distinction between a drive-by and a destination in a multiple-destination itinerary.

I thought perhaps that if you decided to deviate from the planned route, Navigator might skip drive-bys when re-routing (if it became obvious you were taking a more direct route) whereas it would always route you to a destination.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a drive by it just bleeps in passing, as it is following the route to the first destination. When it gets to the first destination, it tells you "you have reached your destination". If you then go into Itinary, the drivebys and destinations passed will be greyed out. So you then press the Navigate button and it will then navigate to the next Destination, taking in any Drive bys, which it will bleep when passing, this continues until the last destination is reached.

Hope this helps,

Steve
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie - I tired to use your POIConverter utility to convert an Autoroute AXE file to an itinery - but it had a few issues

1) It came across with all sorts of odd characters in the placenames (it was for a Swiss route)

2) Although I could open the ITN file in TTN3 - when I tried to plan it - it caused TTN3 to crash (spectacularly) - it had 16 points in the route

System spec - 3870 - TTN3 - maps on SD Card - TTN3 is the only app running (I did a soft reset to clear it all out)

If it helps I can send you the ITN Files
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Sorry that I have not responded before but I have been away on holiday. Please send the ITN file to me and I will have a look at it. I have only tried a few short UK routes, so there could well be a bug in my program.

Richard
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard - ITN Files sent via email

Thanks for your help

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: