Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostagain wrote:
Re. Traffic-i lack of detail.
If you look at:
http://www.traffic-i.com/main/main_page.asp
It shows the speed icons in the same way as the YQ.

Do we have anyone with first hand experience of this who can comment ?

Ok, hands-up, I stand corrected, I specifically used the MS Smartphone version which does also shows speed detail but only when on max zoom level, a feature I hadn't realised Embarassed.

One feature they haven't implemented but that would be useful would be for it to default to showing a map of the area you are currently in, an easily implmented feature given it is running on a cell phone which can perform this function easily via BS ID. Current versions do not and default to centering on the area you last looked at.

Having said all this, TrafficMaster data lacks information detail that TMC contains but a combination of the two overlayed on TomTom etc could be a winner.
jasuk70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have now removed traffic as it caused more problems than it solved. (Had all problems other people experienced, stability, lack of traffic information) Plus when it did detect a big delay the "Auto re-route" didnt bother to do anything. Seems like this needs a lot more work done on it before it becomes stable, (I take it we are now on a public beta with traffic hence the 3 month free trial)

Jas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could those of you who have had issues please log them with TomTom? Unless they know there are issues they can't fix 'em Smile

cheers,

Greg

(will try mine on the M62 tomorrow am.....)
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have logged the probelm on 27/05/04 Ref: 040527-000297.
Status still unresolved.
I have got an automated response from TomTom Support that said someone will look at the problem and will contact me.
That was the last contact from TomTom.

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
Emtac BT GPS Motorola V3 Silver
TomTom 5 Traffic
TomTom 3 Traffic Checkpoint v3
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom emailed me to say:

We apologize for not yet having responded to your email dated 28/05/2004.
We will get back to you as soon as possible and apologize for thr delay in answering your query.

Thank you for your patience and best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Biggav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an unusal case as I am running this instead of Navman V2, I find Tomtom 3 much better and now running traffic, now no problems after a little difficulty, with the blue tooth settings on my HP2210 to Nokia 6310i phone as I was duplicating pairing once that was deleated and also given a string code in the advanced settings, which I am happy to pass on if anybody whats this code.

I am using a Navman 4410 blue tooth gps which works very well and fast with the hp2210 in Tomtom 3 a much faster program than Navman V2.

Regards
Gavin Thumbs Up
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried traffic today and it worked a treat. I have it to refresh automatically every 10 mins, for those of you that had problems, what is your refresh interval?

2 cases where it worked fine, this am joining the M6 from the M62 it always slow, it worked out there was a 3 min delay at exactly the point the queuing started.

On the way home it had a delay marked, but it was automatically removed during the refresh, and when I got to the point, no queues.

So far very pleased with it.

regards,

greg
Damian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much data does Tomtom traffic download at each connection. I need to sell this to my manager so he will let me have GPRS activated on my company phone. If it will only cost a few pound a month then then will be fine as we get GPRS for £1 per meg

Cheers

Damian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 or 4k per connection, so 1Mb would alst a fair while even connecting 10 times a day.
AndyR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Tip to minimise data size for traffic info Reply with quote

The amount of data downloaded also depends on the size of the map loaded. If you are only travelling in one region ie London or the southwest, loading these smaller maps will minimise the size of the traffic data downloaded. Why download data in scotland when you are near the south coast - unless you are travelling to scotland of course Laughing Hope this helps.
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: First impressions: not good Reply with quote

I'm finding traffic to be just about useless so far, so i am looking for any tips from people using it successfully.

My setup is iPAQ 2210 to TT Bluetooth GPS and Nokia 6310i on T-Mobile. TT3 has been running OK up to now (GB maps on CF).

GPRS is enabled and working on the 6310i, when I start Internet Explorer I automatically get the dialling bubble, the phone dows a connect to PDA, makes a GPRS connection and I can browse. Hint: make sure that you have the setting for "applications that connect to the Internet use Bluetooth Settings" rather than the "My ISP" ones.

Starting TT3 now takes rather longer, and it always starts with "Unable to contact TomTom traffic", having apparently not tried to make a connection to the Internet like Explorer does.

If I manually connect to the GPRS connection, TomTom will fetch traffic data. Or at least some data. It surprised me this morning when it reported no congestion on the M1 or M6. Not likely. After 10 minutes TT fetched further data automatically, and more traffic incidents were showing including J2 to J5 on the M6. A third update 10 minutes later and the congestion had disappeared again. Again, not likely! After that I got "cannot connect to TomTom traffic" again and again until I had soft reset the PDA and turned the phone off and on again. A grand total of 20 minutes working (sort of). A second attempt had the same results - about three updates then stubborn refusal.

Also, perusing the traffic map to get details of the incidents often showed "contraflow" for what I imagine is plain congestion, and sometimes did not give any detail (traffic icon remains animated in top right of detail screen". At no time did I see an estimate of a delay - presumably for that the incident would need to be part of my route, but the M6 congestion didn't stick around long enough (according to TT) to feature on my route!

Anyone else seen these problems and found a resolution? (Biggav, what string did you have for the 6310i?).

It does seem to me that this "free trial" is a beta test - as it is this update plain doesn't work in my setup, which I'd not regard as unusual (the 6310i is a very common business phone, the 2210 a popular PDA and the rest is TT kit).

I shall post a copy of this on TomTom's support site.

Neil
Biggav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The string is +cgdcont=1,"ip","internet" for Vodaphone, I did have the problem with pairing and tried to connect to my phone as a paired device which would then be rejected and was not able to clear the screen after deleating this, I now get the correct screen showing two blue tooth connection icon options, on starting Tomtom ie Navman 4410 gps and the 6310i phone I select the Navman 4410 and if i want the live traffic option i then select that option once i have a gps position.

Hope this of help
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as GPRS setup goes, I've posted comprehensive instructions for Pocket PC 2003 iPAQ users using a Bluetooth phone here. They should help people trying to use other setups as well, particularly if you follow the link at the top of my long post to another of my posts.

David
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my post earlier, I am sure that my GPRS setup is OK as I have used it quite a bit for net access. I have received the following response from TomTom that seems to suggest that they are aware of the problems with traffic, although why things like this got through testing into a release beats me - it's not like it's a real subtle problem!

Dear Mr Matthew,

We are already investigating many of the issues you have raised especially with your mobile provider. We might be able to resolve one of your issues. Close all programs on your Pocket PC. Then go to START, SETTINGS, CONNECTIONS (tab), and then CONNECTIONS. Then the ADVANCED Tab. Tap SELECT NETWORKS. Try making the two boxes match and see if this helps.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I thought I would just use the London 16MB map on TT3 instead of the UK Map as I spend most of the week travelling in this area. Today on the 16MB map TT3 Traffic worked as expected for the first time. Using 02 or Orange it downloaded every piece of traffic data (probably as there is less for just this region), it never gave the "cannot connect to TomTom" warning and it never locked up. It also loads in a fraction of the time of the whole UK map. Oddly enought on TT2 the size of the whole map made little difference if you opened with the same area displaying on the screen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: