Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Transferring maps to a new device
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferring maps to a new device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Transferring maps to a new device Reply with quote

I suspect I'm about to ask a very stupid question here, but I don't want to spend 70 quid without knowing that I asked.

I've got a trusty old GO-700 with the Western Europe map on it, bought when the 700 very first came out, and with the maps last updated in late 2006. I don't use the 700 much, as I had a DVD system in my last car, but it certainly comes in useful while holidaying in Europe and renting a car.

Recently, I changed cars, and my new one has a TomTom system built in. I thought I'd try copying the Western Europe maps off my 700 just to see what happened. It complains that the device hasn't been activated, and directs me to put the device code into ttcode.com

The trouble is that I don't have a product code for my maps. Logging into the GO-700's account shows the order from late 2006, but the map didn't appear to come with a code.

I'm wondering whether there's any way that I can use these maps on the new device, even if it means paying something to TomTom for the privilege (as long as it's a fair bit less than the full £70 for the latest maps.) Failing that, is there any way I can buy the latest maps and legally install them on both devices without paying the £70 twice? Frustratingly, the 700 is still likely to get more use outside of the UK than the car's built-in system, so it seems a bit silly only having the latest map in the car.

I know that the obvious solution is to take the 700 with me and ignore the car's built-in sat-nav for the duration of the holiday, but I'd really prefer not to do that if I don't have to.

Apologies for rambling.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps are locked to one device except when (in Europe) they are on a sd card from TomTom.

So you can't share a map between two devices, even two of the same model.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom maps are licensed and tied to just a single device - copyrighted. Getting one map working on both devices is illegal.

So it's 70 quid each I'm afraid.

However, I'll bet you won't go too far wrong with the old map - my 700 did me well in Europe in 2006. Sure, we got a few dud directions (e.g. turning down a road and it being a motorway toll entrance), but not into canyons or over cliff edges.

Have a look at TomTom's Map Update service in relation to the 700. By special offer, it may turn out to cost (a little) less than the 70 quid and give you both a latest map and four more over the next year (it's not as cheap as the £35.80 showing on that page, because first you have to update your current map, but usually that is for less than the difference up to the 70 quid - connect the 700 to TT Home and it'll give you a quote). Or Western Europe map (instead of Western & Central Europe) has fewer countries, but 10 quid cheaper.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was a stupid question in the first place, but I didn't want to spend my 70 quid and then have someone say "Well actually you could have done it for less if you'd..."

If I'm reading this correctly, with an SD based device, I could have bought the maps pre-loaded on an SD card from TomTom and swapped the card between devices. That would have been ideal - it's just a shame that I bought one of the few non-SD based TomTom devices all of those years ago.

The dated maps on the 700 tend to do us okay too. It just irks me slightly knowing that I'll have the latest maps in the car but not be taking the car with me on most holidays. It's also a little irritating that I'm upgrading from a map that's current in the car. If there was a way I could swap (put the latest maps on the 700 and transfer the older Western Europe one to the car while keeping the brand new UK & ROI one) that would be ideal.

I suppose 70 quid is neither here nor there on the cost of a holiday. I'll pay it for the trip to France that we have planned with the car, and contemplate paying it again next time we fly abroad and take the 700 for the hire car. Wifey keeps making noises about a more up-to-date TomTom anyway, so it might make more sense to buy one with later Western Europe maps pre-loaded.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horatio wrote:
Wifey keeps making noises about a more up-to-date TomTom anyway, so it might make more sense to buy one with later Western Europe maps pre-loaded.

Don't do it!! That 700 was the last good device TomTom ever made. All the later ones go wrong for one reason or another. The only improvement they've introduced which is worth having, is the larger screens and that doesn't compensate for all the ****. 70 quid for a stable, reliable, working device with latest map is peanuts compared to three or four times that cost for something which will probably fall over inside a month and regularly thereafter. How many times have you used the reset button on the 700?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 700 has had its moments. I recall carrying a bent paperclip around with it for a while because it often needed resetting, and a few months back I nearly ended up replacing it because it just wouldn't power on no matter what I did with it. Just as I was about to throw in the towel, it fired up without a problem, as though nothing had happened. It also recently went through a phase of needing to be reset after any connection to the PC, though that too seems to have gone.

Though if the other ones are worse, then I'll stick with this one. I already thought that the 700 was the last portable TomTom to have a decent built-in speaker.

The biggest annoyance is its inability to deal with heat reflective windscreens. You never know what you're going to be renting, and if you end up with something French, there's a good chance that it won't work without the external antenna.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: