Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iphone app doesn't work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iphone app doesn't work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerryCostello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: iphone app doesn't work Reply with quote

Hi,
I downloaded to my iphone 7 safety camera apps including the paid app from PocketGPSWORLD. They all work except the one from PocketGPSWORLD.
The app opens OK but the view stays on the map of UK and Ireland and does not zoom down to my location. I've even tried it standing in the open with no buildings around me and on a sunny day (no clouds). I've tried clicking the find my location icon in the bottom left corner and back again but no luck.
I repeat that all the other apps I downloaded work fine including the free apps. However I'd like the PocketGPSWORLD app to work as its based on a subscription with regular updates which I would hope would give me the best data base.
Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong and its a simple fix.
Regards
Terry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually tried it in the car rather than stationary as the PGPSW app doesn't work in couch potato mode - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: iphone app doesn't work Reply with quote

TerryCostello wrote:
I've even tried it standing in the open with no buildings around me and on a sunny day (no clouds).

you need to try driving Wink. this is mentioned in the manual

Quote:
This is what we call the "Armchair View". Basically you do not have a GPS position and CamerAlert requires a good GPS location for it to start working properly. This is a feature of the iPhone GPS (and the way GPS itself works). You may get "GPS Fix" inside your house but it will not start to work properly until you get outside in the car which is where it is designed to work.

Of course you can play around with the interface in the comfort of your lounge and get used to its features and functionality, but just do not expect it to work properly.
TerryCostello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: iphone app doesn't work Reply with quote

Hi,
yes of course I have tried it in my car driving. That was the first thing I did. I only tried it in the open to avoid a potential suggestion I was not getting a good GPS signal in my car.
I should also add that the speed read out in the top left corner of the display stays at zero despite me driving along in my car. I assume this should read my actual speed.
I repeat that all the other 6 apps work fine in my car including good GSP signal readings which some of the other apps give a read out.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Any other ideas?
Regards
Terry
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: iphone app doesn't work Reply with quote

TerryCostello wrote:
yes of course I have tried it in my car driving.
Now now. Shocked The other posts were just making suggestions that several other people have fallen foul of before. Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't this be better in the dedicated CamAlert for iPhone section of the forum?
I'll move it there.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gotta be something to do with your data signals. In my home, my iPhone uses my wi-fi connection. If I go outside and start CamerAlert, the result drops when I drive off - so I never start it until I'm on the move out of range of my wi-fi (class N, end of my road) and can see the status of my signal (3G here) and the signal strength bars. I only start it up at home each morning to download the latest cameras before I go out.

Incidentally, you might like to try deleting it and downloading again (free cos you've already paid). I've done that a couple of times myself, including whilst out on the road, driving.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TerryCostello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: iphone app doesn't work Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't being stroppy.

DennisN, many thanks. I've uninstalled and re-installed and its now working fine. Tested at my local speed cameras tonight. Very good app. Works better than the other Apps I downloaded. Nicer display and good volume. Camera icons nice and clear.

Thanks for everyones help. Now happy to subscribe to database updates.

Regards
Terry
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you first ran it did you click on 'allow' when asked if the app could use your location?

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: iphone app doesn't work Reply with quote

TerryCostello wrote:
Now happy to subscribe to database updates.

Regards
Terry

And remember, although the majority of subscribers get updates every Wednesday (except when MaFt is on holiday), us iPhone CamerAlert users can update any time we want - and you can actually see it has changed by the number of cameras stated to be on your device when it finishes downloading - and you can do that on the move too - it's the dog's whatsits alright!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: iphone app doesn't work Reply with quote

TerryCostello wrote:
Sorry I wasn't being stroppy.
Then I appologise, it just sounded to me like you were Embarassed Embarassed
TerryCostello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: iphone app doesn't work Reply with quote

Hi,
yes I did accept the app to use my location.

Very good that the database can be downloaded at any time on the iphone app.

I used to use a snooper 6 neo. CamerAlert is much more user friendly and convenient though it doesn't have the radar detector that the Snooper has.
£19 a year is very reasonable to get the updates regularly. Map data is very good. I downloaded skobbler the new turn by turn app which uses open source maps and the information is very poor. Long way to go.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: