Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My Telmap results from out of state trip..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My Telmap results from out of state trip..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j8ke20
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: My Telmap results from out of state trip.. Reply with quote

Recently took a trip out of state, in unfamiliar territory, and relying 100% on Telmap to navigate me.

The overall result were mostly positive, but there were a few issues with the software that could leave you having to pull over to the side of the road trying to figure out where to go next.. which is never a good thing.

Issues:
1. Lane guidance is desperately needed with this software. I encountered several confusing highway exits, where it was unclear exactly which lane i needed to be in, or which road among multiple choices to take at an exit.

2. Multiple Widgets. I would like the ability to be able to have route info/ETA, and the traffic widget on the screen at the same time, so i can easily see the traffic update. It looks like you can only have one widget on the screen at one time.

3. There were several times when Telmap thought I was off the road, and instructed me to "Get back on road" when in fact I was still on the highway. (There were many roads that were under construction, and which may have differed from Telmap's map data) This resulted in leaving me 100% without any directions where to navigate to.
The route itinerary screen is not available during this time, so if this happens when you are approaching your exit or turn you are completely left for dead, and without even your original route itinerary directions to fall back to.

4. When i got off the plane, Telmap took about 20 minutes to find my GPS signal, leaving me stranded on the side of the road waiting, while google maps on my phone seemed to find my GPS signal almost immediately during this time.

5. POI search. When searching for POI's, and choosing "Show nearest to me, or by distance", the distance for each POI is not accurate.
For example, I would search for a WALMART store nearby, and the POI search results showed the 1st WALMART as being 3.3miles away, but when I actually clicked on that POI and selected to Drive to it, the total distance was much higher, like around 8 or 9 miles away.

6. The Nearby Widget. There is no option to search for nearby Hotels. Only gas, food, atm's.. Hotels need to be added here.

Overall, Telmap did a pretty good job of navigating me in unfamiliar territory, despite the issues above.
There were many times when i lost satellite signals, or Telmap thought i was on a different road, but this may be because of the weak satellite reception of my phone, so I am not blaming Telmap for these particular issues. But my biggest issue is when Telmap leaves you completely without any form of directions whatsoever if it can not map me to a road on the map, which happened during this trip.

So, my summary..
Need to be added or fixed in future versions
1. Lane Guidance arrows
2. Ability to display 2 widgets at once
3. Add Hotels option to "Nearby" widget
4. ALWAYS have a last known, or original Route Itinerary to fall back to.
5. POI distance from current location is not accurate in the search results.

I have also submitted this in the Telmap 5 feedback form.
Hope this feedback helps!
TUGAdmin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Your feedback Reply with quote

Hi J8ke,
Thanks for this excellent feedback.
This is exactly the kind of stuff that we need.
I'm glad that your overall impression was positive - and your comments just went straight to our product department.

THanks
TUGAdmin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: