Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Eclipse (AVN2210p / AVN2227p)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Eclipse (AVN2210p / AVN2227p)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
memiva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Eclipse (AVN2210p / AVN2227p) Reply with quote

I bought a new car yesterday, which came with the TomTom in it, and as I have never used one, am having an incredibly difficult time getting it to work.
For starters, I live in Alaska (which seems to be the issue). The TomTom has the America & Canada map on it, but every time I start up the GPS, it says "No map found!"
And the tomtom website does not have a map for America for this device (AVN2210p / AVN2227p).
I am not sure what I need to buy/ or do to get this to work for me.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Gmt_Plus1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi memiva. I am not familiar with the Eclipse model but I have just been to the TomTom website and downloaded the user manual.

Firstly, please connect your TomTom to your computer and take a FULL back up of it using Windows Explorer and store the back up safely.

2ndly, You say that your TT has the America & Canada map on it, how do you know this? Have you seen this Folder on the TT using your computer? or is it stated as so in the paperwork for the Car/SatNav?

3rdly, (After taking the backup) Have you loaded TomTom's "HOME" software to your pc yet and connected your TT to this? If so, what does TomTomHome prompt you to do regarding Updates?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something does not look right. From the TomTom website, the only maps that appear to be available for your device are maps of South America. However, the other Eclipse II model does have maps for North America, Canada and Alaska available.

Is your car new or second hand? Did you import it? If you bought it new, locally I'd probably not play around with the TomTom too much just yet. I would just make the WindowsExplorer back up and then connect it to TomTom Home software just in case it's necessary to take it back to the dealer for advice/exchange. Let them struggle with getting the correct maps working for you and then follow the advice on these forums for getting it up-to-date and set-up to your liking.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
memiva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmt_Plus1 wrote:
Hi memiva. I am not familiar with the Eclipse model but I have just been to the TomTom website and downloaded the user manual.

Firstly, please connect your TomTom to your computer and take a FULL back up of it using Windows Explorer and store the back up safely.

2ndly, You say that your TT has the America & Canada map on it, how do you know this? Have you seen this Folder on the TT using your computer? or is it stated as so in the paperwork for the Car/SatNav?

3rdly, (After taking the backup) Have you loaded TomTom's "HOME" software to your pc yet and connected your TT to this? If so, what does TomTomHome prompt you to do regarding Updates?

We bought this car used, and the guy told us that there was a US & Canda map on it without Alaska, but that we could easily download one from the website, and when connect it to TomTom HOME and go to "Manage my TomTom" it shows that I have one map for "Usa and Canada"
Once I did the back up it didnt ask me to do any updates, it did yesterday, however, I don't remember what they were..
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi memiva, I have been looking at the TomTom website again, All the Maps that I can see which have USA and Canada combined also have Alaska. Maps which have USA only, do not appear to go as far north as Alaska.

In the bottom right hand of the TT screen tap the Satellite strength meter, then tap the "Version Number" (what is your version by the way?), this then shows details of your device including the map wich is loaded on your TT. Please post the title of the Map and it's version number.

Thanks.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
memiva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Hi memiva, I have been looking at the TomTom website again, All the Maps that I can see which have USA and Canada combined also have Alaska. Maps which have USA only, do not appear to go as far north as Alaska.

In the bottom right hand of the TT screen tap the Satellite strength meter, then tap the "Version Number" (what is your version by the way?), this then shows details of your device including the map wich is loaded on your TT. Please post the title of the Map and it's version number.

Thanks.

Uhm.. where do I find my version number? I have no idea..
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memiva wrote:
AliOnHols wrote:
..........In the bottom right hand of the TT screen tap the Satellite strength meter, then tap the "Version Number" (what is your version by the way?), this then shows details of your device including the map wich is loaded on your TT. Please post the title of the Map and it's version number.

Uhm.. where do I find my version number? I have no idea..
Details are in the previous reply or follow FAQ #16 from this List of TomTom FAQ's

What do you normally see on your TomTom screen when you turn it on? do you see any roads at all? What happens if you zoom OUT as far as possible? (To zoom out, keep touching the small "-" square in the top right of the screen).

Can you plan a route from New York to Toronto? Tap your screen to get to the menu page, continue tapping the screen on the "Next Page" icon until you see "Prepare Route" (possibly on page 3?). Tap on this Icon then "Address" -~- "City Centre" -~- USA/New York -~- Canada/Toronto. What happens?

Ali

EDIT, Sorry memiva, I have gone back and re-read your original post. If, when you switch on, you get the message "Unable to find Maps" you probably can not do any of the above. In this case, Turn your TT on, Connect it to your PC and select "YES" to view it's contents on the PC. If TomTomHome is running or starts up, turn it off.
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your TT's drive and open it.
You should now see a list of Folders which are on your TT, one of these Folders shall be the TITLE of the map you have (hopefully "North America"?). In this Folder should be a file called TITLEofYOURmap.pna, open this file and you should see five lines.

Copy and paste the information from lines 1,3 & 4 here (for security, NOT lines 2 & 5). As a template, the three lines from my .pna file look like this ---

ID=Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.pna
-x-x-x-x-x
build=2157
-x-x-x-x-x
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
memiva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

EDIT, Sorry memviva, I have gone back and re-read your original post. If, when you switch on, you get the message "Unable to find Maps" you probably can not do any of the above. In this case, Turn your TT on, Connect it to your PC and select "YES" to view it's contents on the PC. If TomTomHome is running or starts up, turn it off.
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your TT's drive and open it.
You should now see a list of Folders which are on your TT, one of these Folders shall be the TITLE of the map you have (hopefully "North America"?). In this Folder should be a file called TITLEofYOURmap.pna, open this file and you should see five lines.

Copy and paste the information from lines 1,3 & 4 here (for security, NOT lines 2 & 5). As a template, the three lines from my .pna file look like this ---

ID=Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.pna
-x-x-x-x-x
build=2157
-x-x-x-x-x

ID=USA_and_Canada.pna
xxxx
build=1293
xxxx
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you tap the satellite bars on your unit, what application version shows on the next screen?
memiva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
When you tap the satellite bars on your unit, what application version shows on the next screen?

There are no satellite bars on my screen. The only page I can see is the "No maps found!" one, and that is all that is on it.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, try this......connect to computer. Start Home. Look in Home's Menu for system information. Should show the application there.

Another way is to connect to the computer, use Explorer and look at the contents of the ttgo.bif file in the root of the unit. Tha application should be listed on one of the lines there.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memiva, thanks for the map info. The maps on your TT are fairly old, it is possible that the NavCore software may be equally old, finding the information that dhn has asked you for will find out for sure. For my mind this brings up two questions:-

1) If the NavCore software is also v6.xx, or earlier, you may need to use the older version of TomTomHome available from TomToms webiste and called "For TomTom Navigator 6". You will need to delete you existing version of TTHome if it is a recent download (not necessary if it came on the original TomTom CD with your SatNav). And try all over again.

2) According to the United Kingdom TomTom Maps web page, USA and Canada maps are NOT suported for your device. I am not sure if TomTom say this because they are not compatable and don't work full stop (period) or just that some of the functions don't work as they should. Perhaps send them an e-mail asking them to clarify this. Tell them the model of TomTom you have and the Map and NavCore software versions too.

Let us know your NavCore software version as dhn suggests and we shall advise accordingly.

EDIT - Uk specific info added, not sure how the USA/Canada map website makes compatable maps available.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
memiva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Okay, try this......connect to computer. Start Home. Look in Home's Menu for system information. Should show the application there.

Another way is to connect to the computer, use Explorer and look at the contents of the ttgo.bif file in the root of the unit. Tha application should be listed on one of the lines there.

I found Application Version and Application Version Version Number.
ApplicationVersion=8710
Do you need the other one too?

AliOnHols wrote:
1) If the NavCore software is also v6.xx, or earlier, you may need to use the older version of TomTomHome available from TomToms webiste and called "For TomTom Navigator 6". You will need to delete you existing version of TTHome if it is a recent download (not necessary if it came on the original TomTom CD with your SatNav). And try all over again.

So, I did this, and it gave me the option to buy a full USA and Canada map. Should I buy it, or will it be a waste of money?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memiva wrote:

I found Application Version and Application Version Version Number.
ApplicationVersion=8710
Do you need the other one too?
Yes please, the two numbers go hand in hand, the ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=wxyz being the more important.

Quote:
So, I did this, and it gave me the option to buy a full USA and Canada map. Should I buy it, or will it be a waste of money?

Hurrah! It's looking good. I don't think that I would start downloading any maps yet, save that for later. You have already made a back up of your TomTom, has anything changed since that back up? if so, make another back up so that if things go wrong we can get back to where we are now. As we progress, keep making back ups at every stage so that we can get back to the last working setup if things do go wrong.

It is probably best to bring your SatNAv software up to date first with TomTom HOME (Please confirm this someone!). When you connect to HOME, does it offer you to upgrade your device with anything other than Maps? like the software? If so, do it. As you progress beyond v6, you may need to download the newer version of HOME (yes, the one you have just deleted) and continue by using that.

When you have got your TomTom software as up-to-date as TomTomHOME will allow you, post back with the NEW ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=wxyz so that we can see where you are.

The reason I say not to download any maps yet is :-
1) If you already have some maps loaded on your SatNAv, you should be able to see them. Just buying a newer version may not make them visible all of a sudden.
2) The version of map you download may support more features depending on a later software version.

Regards.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: