Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2210 - Which GPS receiver?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2210 - Which GPS receiver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobydoo_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: 2210 - Which GPS receiver? Reply with quote

Hi,
Im a complete newbie on all of this and im just about to purchase a Ipaq 2210, I want to use this for SATNAV but dont want loads of wires all over my car, my question is which GPS receiver would you suggest I get to use with the 2210 and Tomtom software?.

Ive looked at Bluetooth GPS, seen them on the net for around £100
and also a GPS mouse for about £60.

What would you recommend I get?.
I take it that if I buy the mouse, there is just the one wire that connects upto the 2210?.

Thanks.
gypsy666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m a nebie myself , but have spent hours over the past week or so getting my 2210 sorted out...

i got a Fortuna Bluetooth job....but you will find on here there are lots of post about loosing Bluetooth conections all the time , altjough this is supposed to have been fixed in and update i still get the odd lockup , especialy if i have gone through a tunnel , obviously i loos sat's , but then when i get out the other side the search for the bluetooth device started all over again......

Anyway to the point , I have just bought a CF Card GPS......its great....no problems any more with lockups , or even having to configure bluetooth etc , and no extra powercables etc , so all i need to do is get power to the 2210 , and i'm sorted.....

they stick out of the top a little (2 1/2 inches) , but that doesnt bother me....all my maps are on my sd card , never really used a memory card in the cf slot anyway , and the cf gps can be left in the car....

This is only my preference , but if you havent bought anything yet , then it will save you a lot of money as well....

Got mine for about £25 off e-bay , and it comes with an external aerial as well , just in case you want that bit of extra strong signal....

Steve
seblog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody with experience of the haicom 303-mmf mounted on the vent and tilting the antenna a bit toward the sky.

How is the reception level in comparison to a bluetooth module placed on the dash?
thanks
LittleErn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Haicom 303E (CF connection) Reply with quote

I have the above receiver and it works well for me. I do get occasional short-lived signal loss when travelling on high tree-lined roads. I have it on the vent as you describe. (Is 303E the same as 303MMF?)

Can't comment on comparison with Blue-tooth receiver except that I don't (touch wood) get lockups. My daughter had a bluetooth and has now replaced it with a wired GPS - although I don't think it was reception that was the problem, just the annoying lock-ups when used with a 2210!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have both cf and blue tooth with the cf card you really need an external ext but im bt convert now its so much better and less wires plus if you walking the 2210 will last longer on its battery as its not powering the gps as well also its not big in the minscreen

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to balance the scales somewhat... I have hardly any lock-ups using bluetooth with the 2210

I think it depends on the receiver that is used, TomTom's being a major culprit at the moment.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
ashrich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to throw my hat in as well for Bluetooth , I velcro mine to the windscreen of my Focus estate , Tesco sell a pack called " stick and stick " in the sewing area , you get a long double strip that is perfect for attaching to the corner of a window, cut two small pieces and layed across the back of my X7 I attach it upside down , if you like , so I can see the lights, while allowing a good vision of the sky , neat , out of the way and works well !! .

Ashley Thumbs Up
dastardly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seblog wrote:
How is the reception level in comparison to a bluetooth module placed on the dash?

Can't speak for the BT antenna, but I started with the TT wired antenna, and then changed to a Haicom CF card so that I could survey whilst walking around.

To my surprise the CF card is brilliant in my car (Ford Mondeo), and does as good a job as the wired antenna when it's lying on the dash. It's very rare to loose satellite lock. I'm well chuffed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: