Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Live Services Fuel Price Inaccuracies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Services Fuel Price Inaccuracies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by past performance TomTom should fix this problem in the next software release. I expect that the fix that they will apply is to change the text at the bottom of the screen which currently reads: "Prices may be up to 5 days old" to "Prices may be over 5 days old".
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
"Prices may be up to 5 days old" to "Prices may be over 5 days old".

From what I have seen of this service they may as well change the wording to:

"Prices may be over 5 MONTHS old" - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the really odd thing is that some stations are spot on?

There are phantom stations in the list, but there are also stations that do exist but the price is way out, as well as the ones that are accurate.

Perhaps TT need to implement Fuel Share corrections, as well as Traffic Share and Weather Share to report issues with some of the other LIVE Services Laughing
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is if tomtom want to have many subscribers to "live" then the current fuel prices and Camera database need improved. If not we should have the option to "opt in" to the live services we want and leave the others out we don't. In my case HD traffic and goggle search would be the only ones I would subscribe to, and would expect a reduction for the others I don't want
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that www.petrolprices.com now have an App availble for the Iphone with near 100% accurate fuel price data surely also considerably ups the pressure on TomTom to get their data right.
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1 wrote:
The fact that www.petrolprices.com now have an App availble for the Iphone with near 100% accurate fuel price data surely also considerably ups the pressure on TomTom to get their data right.

If you read the reviews they don't inspire me to buy!
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
But the really odd thing is that some stations are spot on?

Surely where the petrol station hasn't either closed down five years ago or never even existed in the first place and is instead a large head office owned site then one would expect a nightly electronic data update to be being sent to TomTom or its petrol price supplier in the case of sites run by Esso, Shell, BP etc.

So unless you are suggesting that you seriously believed that TomTom might just be using a random number generator within currently specified likely maximum and minimum prices for unleaded fuel then it would be pretty shocking if a fair bit of even TomTom's petrol price data wasn't accurate.

I would say probably at least 70% of their prices are right apart from the additional error of always rounding down from .9 to .0 but that is really no help at all when you are hoping to find the cheapest possible petrol prices available near to you or on your journey with the service and the ones being shown as cheapest are instead simply the most out of date.

I haven't even seen anyone mention yet that the Find Cheapest on Route aspect of the Live services petrol prices function is also inherently flawed in the case of any journey on a motorway because TomTom always shows you the distance to numerous petrol stations that would involve at least a 10 to 20 mile detour off the motorway as though you could simply drive there by an as the crow flies route straight line from your current motorway position. Find by Distance also works this way by showing the distance to the station as the crow flies and not as the roads run to the station but that is much less of an issue as one normally only uses this function when you need to fill up somewhere very near by. But to have a function entitled "Cheapest on Route" if you are on the motorway and for most of the petrol stations to be completely off the route renders the function totally useless unless you are already intimately familiar the route and know which petrol stations actually are on the motorway. The same problem applies on more major trunk A roads that are built to near full motorway standard with very few exits.
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playswell wrote:
If you read the reviews they don't inspire me to buy!

I find that the accuracy of petrolprices.com's list of the 10 cheapest petrol stations is normally excellent (although I admit I only accessing their website at home on my PC) but I think the complaint I have seen in the Reviews about the App is that it doesn't let you find petrol stations exclusively by distance away from you when you are looking for a station that is convenient as well as cheap.

Also the App costs £5 and a few of the reviewers have clearly dissed the product because they feel sore about having to pay for something that is free as a normal web product. If they had been given a rival Iphone App that let them access TomTom's quite useless petrol price data they might have come to a different conclusion about the petrolprices.com App

Its really a shame that there isn't a way to run the petrolprices.com App on a TomTom Live services unit as at least TomTom might then have been scared in to getting their finger out and bringing their own petrol price data up to a decent standard.

What really bugs me is that TomTom now has so many other glaring major product reliability and quality issues it isn't tackling and these include maps that suddenly freeze while you are navigating, speed cameras that are very inaccurate and poorly maintained, servers that still struggle to support HD traffic demand at peak time and periodic random reboots as though soft reset has been pressed that also always then resets my shortcut list to factory default condition instead of the shortcuts I had chosen. And that's without mentioning a failure to reliably update maps to take account of significant road changes that have happened as long as three years ago. To make matters even worse their marketing people then try to draw attention to those deficiencies in their maps by getting customers to pay extra to subscribe to quarterly map update services for maps that are not updated anywhere near as often as quarterly.

It is as though no one there actually sees the big picture of overall product quality going to hell and as if the marketing people all believe their own press releases and must travel everywhere by train or TomTom chauffeur driven company limousine rather than driving their own cars and using their own products.
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have to remember is that this is a Dutch company and so far it seems it can ignore any rules that govern our own UK companies trading terms and conditions.
I have watched this forum for as long as I have had a Tom Tom and have 'listened' to the genuine complaints that other members have had regarding problems with their device and the Tom Tom service.
In most cases, the company either rides roughshod over the complainant or chooses to completely ignore a requested solution to a problem.
In only a few cases have members had an entirely satisfactory resolution to a dilemma, and these are very thin on the ground.
The moral of the story is, enjoy the Tom Tom, it takes you from A to B, but don't rely on all the 'Add-ons' that come with it.
TT Go 5200
UK/ROI and Worldwide
Samsung S8
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shad........

Wherever you are, forgive me! Crying
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[In Joke]
dhn wrote:
Shad........

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Great minds ... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
[/In Joke]

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
[In Joke]
dhn wrote:
Shad........

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Great minds ... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
[/In Joke]

I know you don't REALLY mean that, but thanks for the smile to send me off to bed. G'night. Thumbs Up

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
[In Joke]
dhn wrote:
Shad........

[/In Joke]

I know you don't REALLY mean that, but thanks for the smile to send me off to bed. G'night. Thumbs Up

Me four!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock wrote:
What you have to remember is that this is a Dutch company and so far it seems it can ignore any rules that govern our own UK companies trading terms and conditions.

Surely most of the laws about a product having to be "fit for the purpose" actually apply to the retailer and not the manufacturer. The fact that Toyota is a Japanese company has not protected it from a requirement for the retailers who sold its products worldwide to fix its defective products.

Quote:
The moral of the story is, enjoy the Tom Tom, it takes you from A to B, but don't rely on all the 'Add-ons' that come with it.

All the current high price value of TomTom's top end units comes not from the navigation from the basic A to B facilities (which can be had in a basic Start or One product for under £100) but from the additional Live services features. If all of these features are hopelessly flawed and TomTom's products get a reputation for that then you may as well buy a cheaper competitor product. Or in particular people may be content instead with a smartphone that throws in a basic A to B satellite navigation facility.

TomTom surely built its original reputation on satnav products that actually worked (eg you could get a satellite lock nearly all the time while cheaper brands could not) but if they now become renowned for a load of expensive add on hyped additional features with an expensive ongoing running cost then its brand and the prices at which it can sell units will be very adversely affected.

The problem seems to be that they have a management structure where nobody is responsible for the various separate individual issues and takes charge of each project and instead everybody at senior level seems to pass the buck and hide behind a faceless customer service operation.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1 wrote:
The problem seems to be that they have a management structure where nobody is responsible for the various separate individual issues and takes charge of each project and instead everybody at senior level seems to pass the buck and hide behind a faceless customer service operation.
Taking a lead from our current Government, and most UK Local Government Departments it seems. Hey Ho, What's new?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: