Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Done it correctly?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Done it correctly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modelman093
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Done it correctly? Reply with quote

Hi,
New to PGPS and new to Tom Tom. Have just downloaded the camera database to a new TT 750 Live for the first time. Is there a way of testing that I have done it correctly without going out and finding a camera?!
Also, have read your instructions for downloading Real Voice Alerts but started to get confused with the mention of Version 7 etc. Version 7 of what and how do I know what version I have got?
Thanks
Angus
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Done it correctly? Reply with quote

modelman093 wrote:
Is there a way of testing that I have done it correctly without going out and finding a camera?!
You can use "A-B Prepare Route" to start/finish a short distance either side of a camera.

If you Enable one of the Camera Categories (to show it on Map), choose a Start, and Finish, as a Point on Map near a camera.

modelman093 wrote:
Also, have read your instructions for downloading Real Voice Alerts but started to get confused with the mention of Version 7 etc. Version 7 of what and how do I know what version I have got?
If you Tap the Navigation Screen where the Satellite Graphic is, a small window will show the software version.

The notes referred to explains what happens when you answer Yes or No, when setting up Warn When Near.

All TT PND Units, if fully updated, will be running at least V7 software.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the instructions could be updated, as the mention of v7 software is a bit outdated now.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions could also have the demo route added?

Use Prepare Route, from Address, Postcode, enter FY43NN then select Kingsmede and
Number 95 to PR41AX and select Unnamed Road, Fastest and Now. Then Details and show demo route.
The speed of the demo affects whether you get audible warnings. I think 200% works on all models, 400% works on my 940.

Does anyone know where Mike's original post, that listed the order in which you pass the cameras, went?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Does anyone know where Mike's original post, that listed the order in which you pass the cameras, went?
You mean This One.

This Post might be easier to find those details though.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That old A to B I used to use is rather dated these days for a couple of reasons:

1/ The mobile 40 location no longer exists as its been purged from the database some time ago due to this location not being used by the Police for some considerable time.

2/ Since IQ Routes-II the TomTom devices don't follow the same route as they used to.

Due to the above I don't think its that easy to force a device to go along a specific route using A to B as different times/ dates etc will influence the route offered - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably still worth adding a line to the instructions about testing the cams with a demo route though.
Maybe using a camera that has been in the database for a long time and is unlikely to change.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike alder wrote:
That old A to B I used to use is rather dated these days for a couple of reasons:

1/ The mobile 40 location no longer exists as its been purged from the database some time ago due to this location not being used by the Police for some considerable time.

2/ Since IQ Routes-II the TomTom devices don't follow the same route as they used to.

Due to the above I don't think its that easy to force a device to go along a specific route using A to B as different times/ dates etc will influence the route offered - Mike
Mike,

Could we create a dummy set of Camera POI files, matching the existing files, but only containing one for each camera type? They could be positioned along a straight section of road, therefore not governed (knackered!) by IQ route, etc. The set could include a Start & Stop POI too.
I don't know how useful they'd be to non-TT users, but does MaFt's system create all the download fomats at the touch of a button? This would need a special download page, but if a novice can get these downloaded and run the demo route, then they only have to follow the same steps, for the real download. It would also give an easy way to test new voice or bmp setups.
This could also serve as a freely available try-before-you-buy Db.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
modelman093
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Done it correctly? Reply with quote

modelman093 wrote:
Hi,
New to PGPS and new to Tom Tom. Have just downloaded the camera database to a new TT 750 Live for the first time. Is there a way of testing that I have done it correctly without going out and finding a camera?!
Thanks
Angus

Thanks to all who replied - it appears that I have installed correctly!
Next question - I typed in my own text to voice alerts but now I've got a bit braver would like to use the Real Voice Alerts - how do I remove/overwrite my original efforts?
Also, there are three mobile sites on my "home patch" that I believe to be in use and are advertised in the local paper but none of them are on the mobile database. Does this mean that no one has reported seeing a van at these sites for a certain length of time or what? Dare I say that the RA professional still reports them?!
Angus
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the OGG files in a pack that is the same as the Speed Camera database you have installed:

Single File (although I don't think this exists these days)
Consolidated by Type
Speed Zoned

Once you have the voice pack that matches your database type simply unzip it to the UK&ROI or Western_Europe map folder as applicable and re-configure each of your camera POI warnings, when the device asks "is this the sound you wish to hear" but plays no sound simply answer "Yes" otherwise the device will lock up with some stupid message about missing pictures - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Done it correctly? Reply with quote

modelman093 wrote:
Also, there are three mobile sites on my "home patch" that I believe to be in use and are advertised in the local paper but none of them are on the mobile database. Does this mean that no one has reported seeing a van at these sites for a certain length of time or what? Dare I say that the RA professional still reports them?!
Angus

Exactly that - nobody has reported seeing these cameras for over 12 months (or 6 months if they were never properly verified). If you actually know (rather than "believe") that these cameras have been present, and can pinpoint the exact locations, then please submit them to improve the quality of the database. Unfortunately, newspaper reports aren't sufficient, as they aren't accurate enough - they usually just refer to a road rather than an exact location.
modelman093
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Download the OGG files in a pack that is the same as the Speed Camera database you have installed:
- Mike

Thanks again for all replies - all up and running now!
I want an active dock for Go 750 Live to fit to Brodit pro clip but as far as I can see no one offers one for this specific model at present. (have tried Mountonus etc) Does anyone know whether the 750 live can be used in the cradle listed for a different model? I can probably modify the suction mount to go with the pro clip but would rather preserve it for temporary use in a different vehicle.
Angus
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus, Have a look at the TomTom accessory for your dock unit as they sell one see Here - Mike
modelman093
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again -ordered!
Angus

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: