Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Co-Pilot on Iphone whilst abroad/roaming-it's a joke surely
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Co-Pilot on Iphone whilst abroad/roaming-it's a joke surely

View previous topic :: View next topic  
normski_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Co-Pilot on Iphone whilst abroad/roaming-it's a joke surely Reply with quote

I recently travelled to Spain armed with a newly purchased version of Co-Pilot (Western Europe) on my Iphone 3GS, with it having worked fine in the UK.

On landing disabled roaming in the network settings. Opened up Co-Pilot and could not get a GPS fix.

I switched over to Ndrive (W.E.) and got a fix within about 30 seconds.

Switched back to Co-Pilot, can't get a fix.

Knowing what the problem was already, I switched on roaming and got a fix with Co-Pilot in about 10 seconds.

Switched off roaming, switched on Co-Pilot, no GPS fix.

Even with roaming switched off Google Maps was able to pinpoint my position on the already cached map after moving a few miles away, and again Ndrive fired up with a fix in seconds.

I tried for days to get a GPS fix with roaming off using Co-Pilot. On my return to the UK I tried again, this time with no sim but within reach a wifi connection.

GPS works fine on Google Maps, Vodafone Navigator, NDrive, IMapmyride etc. but not on Co-Pilot. As soon as I put the sim in and unlock it and the network is found, bingo...Co-Pilot can get a GPS lock.

I am sure it has been done to death on here but I can't find it, so anyone about to buy this rubbish in the belief that it will work abroad, please don't.

The only thing that is worse than Co-Pilot for foreign use, is their customer support, which doesn't appear to exist at all.
Wildoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CoPilot Live worked fine abroad during the three weeks I was in France and Switzerland recently with data roaming switched off.

Im on Windows Mobile 6.5. I have Live Traffic and swtched that off as well as data roaming for email in the phone whilst abroad to avoid excessive data roaming charges and CoPilot worked fine.

I did allow roaming for phone calls so I did not switch off roaming in network settings (but there are no charges unless you answer calls or make them) I just have my email accounts set to not work when roaming and as I said switched off traffic connecting whilst I was away.

But it does work abroad as I use it all the time.

I would agree re their customer support (but after experiencing Tom Tom Im not sure any of them are any good!).

W.
normski_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildoat wrote:
My CoPilot Live worked fine abroad during the three weeks I was in France and Switzerland recently with data roaming switched off.

Im on Windows Mobile 6.5. I have Live Traffic and swtched that off as well as data roaming for email in the phone whilst abroad to avoid excessive data roaming charges and CoPilot worked fine.

I did allow roaming for phone calls so I did not switch off roaming in network settings (but there are no charges unless you answer calls or make them) I just have my email accounts set to not work when roaming and as I said switched off traffic connecting whilst I was away.

But it does work abroad as I use it all the time.

I would agree re their customer support (but after experiencing Tom Tom Im not sure any of them are any good!).

W.

I am absolutely sure that you are right using your Windows Mobile.

Unfortunately the Iphone uses a different OS and it does not work on the Iphone with roaming off.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a review of CoPilot Live (in the US) which was done in its entirety with Data Roaming off. Over 2 weeks and 2500 miles I only had a couple of drop outs from the GPS signal.

I was using an iPhone 3GS for the tests, but that should not make much difference.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: