Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDAMODS and nex_gensales on Ebay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDAMODS and nex_gensales on Ebay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noggin_the_nog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: PDAMODS and nex_gensales on Ebay Reply with quote

I am new to GPS and after reading comments on this site I decided to go ahead and buy a Fortuna Clip-on receiver to go with my iPAQ2210 Bluetooth. I wanted to buy one with my credit card because I get additional purchaser protection and accidental damage insurance included.

Anyway, I noticed a Fortuna Clip-On listing on Ebay at a good price; the seller's name is 'nex_gensales'. See the auction item:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B67F21F58

As you will see, the seller states that buyer can pay by credit card; "Pay using credit card (3.5% surcharge) - Phone our sales hotline on 0870 7520767".

Anyway, I checked out the 0870 number and it turns out to belong to a company called 'PDAMODS' who advertise on this site - so I assumed the seller was actually PDAMODS seller via another channel. However.....

After buying the item I emailed the seller ('Tom') and said I would be ringing the 0870 number to pay by card. He e-mailed me back and said he couldn't accept cards at present and I should pay by PayPal. Apparantly he will be able to accept cards some time in the future (8th June was mentioned). I am not happy about this because I specifically bought the item on account of the option to pay by card.

I checked out the seller's e-mail address and it seems to with a domain registered at 230 Kilburn Lane, London W10 4BA.
This address is associated with a variety of companies, including PDAMODs, Rikaline UK, Vivo Technologies, 'Thinkdeals', 'Thinkprice' and a 'general store'. Other names that come up are 'PK Ashar' and 'Sanjeev Ashar'.

I e-mailed the seller asking if he was PDAMODS and he didn't answer the question.

Anybody got any idea what the situation is here? I am a little uneasy. Is the Kilburn Lane address just an 'accommodation address'? Is nex_gensales actually part of PDAMODS, and if so why won't they take credit cards when PDAMODS obviously do take cards?

I am now reluctant to go through with this purchase, even if it means getting negative feeback from the seller. What do others think?
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Fortuna clip on from gen sales on e bay using paypal.Absolutely no problems.I then wanted an extra car charger,phoned the sales number on the ebay website and bought the item using my visa debit card...arrived next day.

HTH

Laurence
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above companies are trading names used, PDAMods is the main company, and they also run Rikaline UK. Some PDA/GPS Retailers also sell goods on eBay under different profiles as this allows to take another niche area of the market and to not only just sell via the internet or sales lines.
noggin_the_nog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if nex_gensales and PDAmods are the same outfit then I don't think much of their service. Its two weeks since I paid by PayPal and still no Fortuna Clip-On (the Ebay ad promised despatch immediately on payment!). Had an e-mail today saying they've now sent one out - we'll see.....
noggin_the_nog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally received my Fortuna Clip On from nex_gensales (AKA PDAMODS) - only 16 days after paying for it (and paying £6.99 for next day special delivery!).
Draw your own conclusions.
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the Distance selling regulations apply to companies such as this one, even if they are to a degree, appearing to be an independant seller on Ebay. What this means is that you have the right to return the unit within 7 days for a full refund - it does not have to be faulty - you can return it just because you want to (or any other reason)

There is a very good explanation of this very situation (Businesses selling on Ebay) in the current copy of Computer Active (I read it this morning - hence my sudden knowledge on the subject! Mr. Green )

I purchased my equipment originally from PDAMods and received pretty good service - not perfect - but OK anyway - give them a call and see if they can help you in any way? The address you mentioned is indeed their address.

Cheers

Steve
Setanta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how nex_gensales/pdamods challenged my understanding of good business practice....

I bought a Rikaline 6010 receiver from nex_gensales/pdamods during the winter for use on a forthcoming trip in the summer. Item duly arrived and I put it on top of the bookcase until need.

Time came (some months later) and I opened the box, strange, no discs/manual/ internal packaging etc. I connected the receiver to Ipaq (wrong connecting cable supplied - had to buy new one). Problems with the receiver. Found out on forums some dealers supply a Rikaline 6012 rather than a 6010 - the 6012 is now a discontinued model with, seemingly, lots of problems! The only physical difference is the colour and location of the word 'Rikaline. on the casing.

Contacted nex_gensales who didn't want to know - citing the time lapse between purchase and use. I can understand this, but what I cannot understand is...

a) why the 6010 receiver was not supplied and a discontinued 6012 was?

b) why all manuals etc. were removed?

c) why the 6012 was supplied in a 6010 box? (I already know the answer to this one!)

...and most importantly of all.

d) even in the event of the time lapse, why when a, b ,c and d were brought to nex_gensales/pdamods attention, they failed to address the issues and did not want to know!

I was thinking this was either a genuine mistake or 'sharp practice' but this couldn't really be 'sharp practice' because a business relies on repeat custom - something they won't be getting from me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: