Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map updates + 6 months free ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map updates + 6 months free ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Map updates + 6 months free ? Reply with quote

I keep getting these mails from ToMTom saying how good the map update service can be with 6 months free.

But, when I click on the link to get it, it just takes me to TT Home. OK, and there's a link in that product. Click on that and it just shows me my installed map and all the others that I can buy - but no annual subscription service.

So, I assume that my subscription hasn't run out yet. Therefore, why to TT keep sending me the emails. It's very irritating.

Alan
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting these as well. When I open up TomTom Home (you have to have your device connected to the computer as well) I get a box with the details of the subscription on. There are only a few days left of this offer, but what I want to know is - is this update necessary and is it a good deal ?I have a TomTom Go920 but not sure how old it is as I bought it "used". Question
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: ANOTHER TOMTOM RIPOFF !!! Reply with quote

Decided to go for the 1 years MAP update with extra 6 months free! Guess what, you have to buy the latest version of the map first, so the cost is double that advertised !!! TomTom - why do you do it ????
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER TOMTOM RIPOFF !!! Reply with quote

theloft wrote:
Decided to go for the 1 years MAP update with extra 6 months free! Guess what, you have to buy the latest version of the map first, so the cost is double that advertised !!! TomTom - why do you do it ????

It is clearly stated in the T&C.

Quote:
Terms and Conditions

Map Update Service starts with the latest map, so you may have to upgrade your map at a discounted price

Actual final pricing will vary and will be determined based on the age of the map currently on your device and the maps included in the service type you choose.

It would be unfair to offer an update to someone who had the latest maps at the same price as someone who didn't. The price of the new map is less if you have a newer (i.e. 1,2 or 3 versions old) map. Still for the price of 2 maps you get 6-8 maps so not really "ANOTHER TOMTOM RIPOFF !!!" Unless my maths is really bad these days...
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005. Well OK. if you think that 1 map update for 18 months is worth almost £80 ! I certainly don't, considering the initial price of the unit.. [/b]
Pieman1972
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've connected my device up tonght and for 69.95 I get updated to latest plus 18 months of updates.....

Discounted upgrade to latest map : GBP 29.85
Update Service (18 months - 6 new maps) GBP 39.80

That is for UK & Western/Cental Europe maps

I'm tempted.....my last map update was a year ago
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you think that 1 map update for 18 months is worth almost £80

Sorry, i don't understand what you are saying here.....

If you are referring to the cost of getting your unit up to date before buying the Map Update Service then that's about the going rate. Compare with Garmin (example for my 765T here) and then look at the cost of updating other "manufacturer in dash" units. You'll be talking several hundred pounds...

If you don't like the price, don't buy it...

£80 plus £40 for the Update Service = £120 for 6 maps which works out at £20 a map....... Buy them full price and it's 6 x £80 = £480
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PaulB2005"][quote]
If you don't like the price, don't buy it...

It must be me then.. As I only use my SatNav on a few occasions each year, it seems expensive (for an OAP) but if you say it is reasonable, then I will have to make the judgment as to whether I need it or not. I see maps advertised on EBay, are they worthbuying or are they out of date versions ?? Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not being funny over the price but when you look at it over the 18 months it does become more of a bargin. Individually the maps do look expensive i'll admit but if you are looking more long term investment then i don't think it's that bad.

If you don't do many miles a year then maybe it's not for you, perhaps ebay the current unit and put the funds towards a new unit with new maps. It's more important for me as i do a lot of outer London mileage and i'm looking to move soon and won't know the new area so well.

eBay maps i'd be careful of. Some will be pirated and with many you will have no idea what version you are really getting until you get it. Any genuine up to date maps will be so close to the price TT charge the difference will be negligable.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently paid £29.70 for the initial update, my maps were over one quarter old, the 12 + 6 months update for UK & ROI. Its more than I would have paid if I only used road atlases as I would only change them every three or four years for about £10.00 a time but for computer maps with all the detail that goes into them I think its pretty good value for money.
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I'm not being funny over the price but when you look at it over the 18 months it does become more of a bargin. Individually the maps do look expensive i'll admit but if you are looking more long term investment then i don't think it's that bad.

After further consideration I bit the bullet and paid TomTom for the new map & 18months upgrades. All went well until 40 minutes into download (Central & Western Europe) then TT Home advised me that there was not enough space on my device! The new map is quite a bit larger than the old version. Plus this unit has USA on as well. So I had to telephone TomTom and to give them their due, when I finally got through, a really helpful guy called Kevin, took me through the process. I had to save the old maps to my computer, then download the new map to my device and the old USA map to my 2Gb SD card, which has almost filled it. This process took quite a while and most of the morning, with Kevin phoning back at regular intervals. Everything is fine except I cannot now load my Home location into the device. All Favourites and recent destinations were wiped and as my house has a name and not a street number, the nearest I can get is about 1 mile away down our lane ! Can anyone tell me how to enter my home location again please. Embarassed Forgot to mention that TomTom tell me I cannot now use the SD card for anything except maps.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theloft wrote:
Everything is fine except I cannot now load my Home location into the device. All Favourites and recent destinations were wiped and as my house has a name and not a street number, the nearest I can get is about 1 mile away down our lane ! Can anyone tell me how to enter my home location again please.

Go to Main Menu page 2 / Browse map and tap your home location to place the blue cursor there. Tap the blue cursor in the menu at the bottom of the screen and select "Add as Favourite". Give it a name and tap "Done". Tap the screen to get to the Main Menu, then select "Change preferences". On page 2 select Change Home location / Favourite, and select the Favourite you've just added. This will then be saved as your Home location.
Samsung Galaxy S21
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use Change Preferences/ Change Home Location/ Latitude_Longitude while you are stood outside your house on the road with a GPS position fix - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theloft wrote:
Forgot to mention that TomTom tell me I cannot now use the SD card for anything except maps.

As the card is nearly full you probably couldn't much more on to it, you could get a new SDHC type card in any capacity up to and including 32GB, copy the map to the larger card then put mp3 tracks pictures or even other maps on the SAME card and the device will use the files on the card - Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I tend to use Change Preferences/ Change Home Location/ Latitude_Longitude while you are stood outside your house on the road with a GPS position fix - Mike

But it's raining hard here, Mike! Laughing

OK, your way's better. Rolling Eyes
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: