Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disabling HD Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disabling HD Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Disabling HD Traffic Reply with quote

I may be overlooking the obvious but I can see no way to disable HD Traffic
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only by pulling out the SIM card, but it's well buried inside and underneath the bottom label.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Only by pulling out the SIM card, but it's well buried inside and underneath the bottom label.

That's a bit crazy. I quite often find myself in a situation where I want to disable traffic.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it in flight mode but that disables everything else.

Put the wrong username and password in and it will not connect to HD traffic.

What do you gain by disabling HD traffic?

You can disable it choosing other routes or giving warnings when traffic changes on your route.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Put it in flight mode but that disables everything else.

Put the wrong username and password in and it will not connect to HD traffic.

What do you gain by disabling HD traffic?

You can disable it choosing other routes or giving warnings when traffic changes on your route.

That's all far too complicated for doing while driving for temporary disabling.
I knew you would ask me "why" so here goes with a couple of examples but there are others -

1. Sometimes I just know that HD Traffic is wrong. e.g. when it is giving me a holdup which is rush hour related but by the time I get there I know (from experience) it will be clear. I would rather see a real ETA than mythical traffic.
2. When planning a route in London during rush hour it can sometimes be very difficult to even get a route to get started because TT keeps replanning because of traffic. I have had experience of not even knowing which way to set off in the right general direction for several minutes because of this.

There are more complicated examples involving a route I drive weekly which has 3 identical in distance, but different, routes, and although traffic is fundamental to my choice, my decision making would be improved if I could temporarily disable traffic, though difficult to explain in a few words.

It can't be rocket science to add a button called "disable traffic"
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about......

In flight mode enabled, then prepare the route in advance to see which is the fastest route before HD traffic starts?

Then, change the traffic settings to NOT automatically calculate a faster route when there is traffic on the route.

Steven

iPhone 12
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
How about......

In flight mode enabled, then prepare the route in advance to see which is the fastest route before HD traffic starts?

Then, change the traffic settings to NOT automatically calculate a faster route when there is traffic on the route.

Steven

Still too complicated to my simple mind when driving, whereas the ability to switch it off at a tap means I know what it is doing without thinking about it.
There are times when I just know (from other sources) that HD traffic is lying - like two days ago on the M1. So what I want is to automatically reroute, but to have the option to ignore it if I have (what I think is) better information. So for example, consider the following scenario. I'm driving down the M1 and it gives me a diversion, but I am not sure whether there really is a holdup. So what I want to do is see my ETA if I follow the diversion and then also be able to quickly see what my ETA would be without traffic on my original route. One thing is for sure, if I take the diversion I will be delayed, so there is a gamble between taking it and disbelieving HD Traffic and staying on the original route. The decision as to whether I take that gamble depends on the relative difference in the two ETAs.
It just seems so obvious to me that such a simple thing to implement could come in pretty handy at times. There are some far more esoteric functions in TT I will never use.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the device set to NOT automatically reroute you, it will prompt you on the screen something like 'Faster route found - 10 minutes quicker. Do you wish to reroute?'

That way the device will only follow the original route unless you specifically tell it to accept a Traffic detour.

Steven

iPhone 12
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
If you have the device set to NOT automatically reroute you, it will prompt you on the screen something like 'Faster route found - 10 minutes quicker. Do you wish to reroute?'

Steven

Yes I know, that is how mine is set. Problem is that display times out in just a few seconds and if I even see it I usually am still thinking about it when it disappears.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:

Still too complicated to my simple mind when driving...

I think we're all in agreement... There SHOULD be a simple way to disable Traffic, but there isn't.
So all we can do is suggest various work rounds. Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
falkirk81 wrote:

Steven

Yes I know, that is how mine is set. Problem is that display times out in just a few seconds and if I even see it I usually am still thinking about it when it disappears.

Surely on a 940 with a computer voice and voice recognition, it will verbally ask you and you can verbally answer YES or NO. That's what I used to do on my 720 (with RDS-TMC traffic, not HD). Incidentally, in the absence of a reply from me, it would default to NO.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the 940 does ask you Yes/ No to the better route, but in reality the screen only stays on the device for one or two seconds before it disapears along with the alternate faster route, its certainly not long enough to answer or tap the screen to accept the alternate route with the current Navcore - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Indeed the 940 does ask you Yes/ No to the better route, but ...................

So, yet another improvement over previous models (NOT!!) TomTom must be patting themselves on the back every day. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: