Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - G0930 Spoken Address problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

G0930 Spoken Address problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonney_Napalm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: G0930 Spoken Address problems Reply with quote

To cut a long story short, I had a GO720T which some scum decided to help themselves to whilst robbing my house.
I have just managed to replace that with a GO930, which I bought from an online retailer.
The GO930 was despatched to me from France, so I presume it's a 'french model' if there is such a thing.
I have set everything up fine apart from the 'spoken address' function, which is greyed out when I try to navigate to an address in the UK.
It works for most mainland european countries, but not the UK.
Is this down to it being an import model as such, and are ther any files I can get to make this function work correctly?

Currently updated to version 8.351 and using Western and Central Europe map v845.2645.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you selected a computer voice?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the content of your device using Windows Explorer there are a couple of things to check:

Firstly in your Western_and_Central_Europe map folder is there a file named "cspeech_GBR.dat" as this is vital to getting UK based ASR working.

Secondly in the ASR folder there is a file named "support_asr.dat" open this with NotePad and make sure it conatains a number 1 and nothing other than the number.

Finally one thing to check on the device is to select Navigate to/ Address/ Postcode and top right will be a flag, this needs to be a Union Jack, if its not tap the flag and select the United Kingdom from the options - Mike
Jonney_Napalm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

I've had a poke about and, yes, you are right mikealder, I am missing the file called "cspeech_GBR.dat"
I looked in an old backup for a Western Europe map for my old GO720 and copied the file across to the GO930, but it still doesn't seem to work.
The spoken address options are not greyed out anymore, but the function will not work.
Any ideas where I can get a copy of this file and is it just a case of copying it across in windows explorer?

Is this because I'm using the 'Western and Central Europe' map and not just the 'Western Europe' one?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember there were issues with these files and the TTS voices when the x30 range launched it you bought the device in Europe, Pixmania were the main distributor responsible for selling devices to incorrect countries, this issue has long been resolved though.

You can download a full set of ASR Europe files by clicking Here unzip the download and copy the _GBR file to the map folder on the device, if it still doesn't work try the other items I mentioned in the earlier post - Mike
Jonney_Napalm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, it seems you are spot on again, as I did infact buy it from Pixmania (cheaper than the rest).

I'll try downloading the full ASR set and see if that does the trick.

Thanks Mike, I'll let you know the outcome.
Jonney_Napalm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be part way there.
If I try to use the function I get the screen with the lips and sound level icons in the top right and the words 'One moment plaese.... Preparing speech recognition...' only for it to go to the keyboard input screen.
The speech symbol at the bottom is not greyed out, but when pressed it just goes back to the previous 'One Moment please...' screen.

I have the latest copy of the 'Western Europe' map to download from Tom Tom (think it must be to do with my quarterly updates I purchased) as I changed my account from the old 720 to the new 930.
I'll try downloading that on a memory card and using the cspeech_GBR file from that.
Jonney_Napalm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I downloaded the 'Western Europe' map from Tom Tom to a memory card and the voice recognition works fine if I have that map selected.
I copied the cspeech_GBR.dat file from that map and pasted it into the 'Western and Central Europe' map.
It still won't work.
I'm gonna leave it at that as I'm not really all that bothered about the function as I've never really been able to get it to work for me anyway.
I can always use the 'Western Europe' map if I want to look like a crazy man, as I repeatedly shout place names, louder and louder at my dashboard before giving up and typing it in anyway.
Once caught a taxi where the driver was trying to use the speech function on his Tom Tom, needless to say after we were nearly at our destination, he ended up typing it in anyway.

Thanks for all your help!

Jonney
Very Happy
t250j
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was interested in this post.

I bought a refurbished TT930 and like Jonney, the speech icon was greyed out on my machine.

Having read this post I found no "cspeech_GBR.dat" file on my machine and so I downloaded and installed it in the map folder from the link supplied in this thread having first checked the "support_asr.dat" in the ASR folder contained only the number 1.

The result for me was exactly the same as Jonney encountered, my machine now allows me to choose the spoken address option and it asks me for a city but it never recognises it (well it did once recognise "Glenfield" as a requested Glasgow but that's it) and it defaults back to the keyboard input ?

Like Jonney, I'm not desperate for this function but it would be interesting to know why it won't work for us ?

Guy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the heck of it, try a pin reset on the unit and try one more time.
t250j
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a reset, no different. Sad

My wife has a TT920 with working speech recognition so I deleted the "cspeech_GBR.dat" file from my TT930 took a copy from her TT920 and loaded it into mine, still no different. Sad Sad ???????
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be a duff mic?
Do you get the "sound level meter" in the top right corner, when it is expecting you to speak?
Does it respond to your voice?
I had an issue once where it showed all the green bars constantly as if there was a lot of background noise all the time.
t250j
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Could it be a duff mic?
Do you get the "sound level meter" in the top right corner, when it is expecting you to speak?
Does it respond to your voice?
I had an issue once where it showed all the green bars constantly as if there was a lot of background noise all the time.

Could well be, I know I get the green/red sound meter butI'm not sure if it's responding to my voice or not, I'll check when I get home.
t250j
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a faulty microphone now, I checked it and the noise meter responds to speech in exactly the same way as my wife's working TT920. Sad
Repsol
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Same Problem Reply with quote

It looks like the 930 I was sold is a French version as the speech to text works on the French maps only. I found no "cspeech_GBR.dat" file on my 930 so copied that in to place in the map folder & I checked the "support_asr.dat" in the ASR folder which is correctly set at "1".

Tried again & it still will not work on UK maps? Curious..........

(full post code update worked 1st time so cheers for that)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: