Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google Street View - Full UK Coverage unveiled tomorrow
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Street View - Full UK Coverage unveiled tomorrow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good point - several people have already commented on two photos showing a completely different picture of apparently the same scene, so obviously taken on totally different dates. And of course they are I think up to 18 months old - how can they possibly be evidence of something like a current camera position?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with MaFt. We have photographic evidence that a mobile has operated at this location and can identif the location accurately. Although the photo might be 'up to 18 months old', it might have been takenmuch more recently than that.
On these grounds, I feel that we should have it in the databse given that will time expire if it's not seen again.
If it has not already been reported as seen at this location, and I'm sure that MaFt would have mentioned that it was a time expired cam, it goes to show that PGPSW can and do miss mobiles, possibly quite a lot of sites, because none of our regular or irregular 'cam spotters' happened to pass when it was there. It's the same thing as they are rarely there when we try to verify them, albeit that there are more spotters than verifiers.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Although the photo might be 'up to 18 months old', it might have been taken much more recently than that.
On these grounds, I feel that we should have it in the databse given that will time expire if it's not seen again.

Mmm. What if the next photo along Llandudno seafront contains a newspaper seller's placard bearing the legend "Queen's Birthday Parade Pictures" or "Easter Procession - Full Report and Pictures".

So because it doesn't (well, I haven't looked) we're happy that this camera will go into the database with a "Seen Operating Date" (for time expiry purposes) of 13th March 2010?

How far do we take this internet pictures reporting? There are sites devoted to camera hate vitriol with any amount of weird and wonderful pictures (e.g. some of mobiles in major road construction sites which are years old). Do they count too?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
....... we're happy that this camera will go into the database with a "Seen Operating Date" (for time expiry purposes) of 13th March 2010?
Why not. It's my wife's birthday Very Happy
DennisN wrote:
(e.g. some of mobiles in major road construction sites which are years old). Do they count too?
Fairly obvious this one!!! Not if the road works are no longer there Rolling Eyes . But the one in question was not in the middle of roadworks, it was on Llandudno seafront, and if it has been there in the past without anyone from here noticing, it might just go there again. Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
Anyway, it's MaFt's ball and he'll take it away from us just whenever he feels like it Sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will go in as either an expired camera or a pending camera. if it is 'seen again' it will be activated - we have the location in our database, furhter sightings will confirm it is still in use.

MaFt
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
In order not to lose my reputation as tired grumpy old sod

Worry not, Mr N. Your reputation is intact.

Personally, I don't really care whether or not it's accepted as a submission - I already have a lifetime subscription. I posted it on the forum with tongue slightly in cheek, not really expecting a camera submission based on a Google photograph of indeterminate date to be taken totally seriously. That said, I thought I might as well fill in a camera submission form making it quite clear that I hadn't seen the camera myself and that it was based squarely on a 'sighting' on StreetView (which, while of age unknown, does make it clear beyond doubt that a mobile camera has been operating on that spot at some point in the recent past). In the case of something questionable like that, better to submit than not, I reasoned, and let the database administrators decide what, if any, weight they should attach to the submission. I simply thought it might be helpful to someone in some way. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

I notice, having just downloaded the lastest database, that it's now in there as an expired camera. That's fine - if it appears there again, hopefully someone will manage to submit a seen-again report to unexpire it. I get over to Llandudno a handful of times every year, so who knows, maybe it'll even be me! Until then, I'm going right back to not really caring.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
I get over to Llandudno a handful of times every year, so who knows, maybe it'll even be me! Until then, I'm going right back to not really caring.

Good luck with that, Llandudno's my home town. The pic must have been off-season as you'd have no chance of speeding along the seafront in the Summer.

But typical of them to try money grabbing wherever they can, great welcome for visitors eh!
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Good luck with that, Llandudno's my home town.

Ooh, didn't realise you were local(ish) to me! (I'm in Mold.)

Quote:
The pic must have been off-season as you'd have no chance of speeding along the seafront in the Summer.

Tell me about it. I lived in Llandudno for three years in the mid 90s, living on Church Walks and working at the North Wales Theatre. A journey along the prom pretty much any day during the summer, but especially on 'changeover day', was about as frustrating and tedious as a short journey could possibly be Sad .
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
Ooh, didn't realise you were local(ish) to me! (I'm in Mold.)

Town of birth, don't live there now but parents and sis still do.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'd say the photo of the Arrive Alive van parked outsided the theatre is about a year old - the big poster on the western end of the theatre is advertising Cinderella On Ice which was there in April last year Wink .
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
DennisN wrote:
In order not to lose my reputation as tired grumpy old sod

Worry not, Mr N. Your reputation is intact.

Personally, I don't really care whether or not it's accepted as a submission - I already have a lifetime subscription.
My grump was nothing to do with lifetime subscription nor with you personally (and I had already noted that you had previously said you've got that, even though it's not noted by your name), but to do with taking on cameras from not-seen sources. This thread is about Google Street View and I would hate to see our database accuracy put at question because of it. Your latest post rather emphasises my point - I too know of sites which had mobile vans on them a year or more ago, but according to our lack of "seen again" reports, now inactive or dormant. We have a policy that such cameras are removed from the circulated database (but still held in case they come back again). That site may also be a different location for the mobile camera 72524 which is located about 500 yards east, but still on The Parade, so could be just wherever they find space to park along the front?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well get my penny,s worth in on this one,In my local area the "google" car was roaming the streets last april school half term to be precise,I was walking my dog when itwent past me,so there was I expecting to be a star of street level....but I have been air brushed out !,my grandaughter can be seen playing on her trampoline in the garden,the strangest view is looking "up" the the road [a close3 houses long]where my brother lives his car is there on view yet go to the end of the close and look back it is no where to be seen,deffo a touch of the Paul Daniels !.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar with my house in a cul de sac. Looking down the road towards my house the bins are waiting for the bin men (so was definately a Thursday). When I move along to outside my house the bins are suddenly empty and the lids open.

Now, as a certain magician said, THAT is magic. But just like that magician I can see the join - the photos appear to have been knitted together just outside my house, either that or we have had an earthquake which has produced a foot step in the kerbline.

I suspect the camera car driving down the road met the bin men reversing up the road - always an interesting experience at the speed they go backwards at. Bet that stopped them filming for a while
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: