Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN--> Android? TTN7 with 8 Maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN--> Android? TTN7 with 8 Maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: TTN--> Android? TTN7 with 8 Maps? Reply with quote

Looks like TT has exited the building for smartphones, but has anyone heard of an Android port? I definitely do not want to use Google's nav, given their atrocious privacy policies.

Also, for the US I am running TTN7 on an iPaq 4705 with v7 maps. Will this accept -any- v8 maps for the US? Anything special necessary?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of TT on Android. If you don't like Google them probably best to stear clear of Android altogether!

Not sure about your set up. TTN7 was never released for general use and was available only pre-installed on some HTC WM phones. AFAIK it has never been sold for use with HP Ipaqs. In addition I do not understand how you have got any US maps for TTN7. TT do not sell TTN7 maps for the USA, or at least you can't buy them in Europe.

The version number of the map does not necessarily correlate to the version number of TTN. For example TTN7 uses version 8.45 maps for Western Europe, but, as I have said they do not offer any maps for the USA.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I'm hearing no TT app for Android. I've tried to buy the US version.

If you're not familiar with Google's privacy policies, best do a little research. Google's CEO made an interesting quote in December.

And of course I've researched Android in-depth from this perspective. The OS is a Linux variant and apps are written to a particular Java environment. After looking into it my only concern is with Google apps per se, like nav, address book, etc.

There are hacked Android roms for various phones, the primary of which is Cyanogen's which turns off HTC's pernicious keystroke capture, amongst other beneficial improvements.

Oh well, CoPilot makes an Android flavor.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I like Android is for its ease of use. One of the things I like is that I have easy access to thousands of apps, but admittedly not as many as the locked down tight iphone. Most of these apps I will never need but some of them are useful and make my life easier

In order to get that easy access to most of those apps I needed Android Market, and for that I needed a Google account. So I ended up falling into their evil clutches I am afraid.

BTW you do not need to resign yourself to Copilot. I use Sygic Mobile Maps. My European (West & East) version was only a little more expensive than the Copilot equivalent. It has a similar user interface to TTN. And the support is much better. And finally you can't buy it in Google's market. You have to get it from Sygic or Teleatlas.
Copilot for USA
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile Maps is interesting. In what country is it made?

It comes on an SD card, but that will likely be barely large enough. I'll want to put it on a 16GB SD card, to have room for other stuff. Any idea if this is possible?

I despise needing the postal code to enter an address as some nav apps require. Does Mobile Maps -require- this? I've forgotten, is Teleatlas the better or worse maps provider?

They don't mention that it's compatible with the HTC Nexus... hopefully it will be? Can it use an external bluetooth GPS pod, or must it triangulate cell towers?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where it is"made" (if that is right word for software which probably relies on other software). Sygic are based in eastern europe - Hungary maybe? They sprung out of McGuider, which was a bit of WM sat nav software that was developed (or at least marketed) by Teleatlas, when they used to be independent.

You can download it direct from Sygic's site for installation on your own SD card or you can buy a retail pack (from various places - I got mine direct from Teleatlas). The retail pack includes the product on a 4Gb microSD card, which, for Europe takes up about half that space. However it also includes the product on a DVD and you can put it on your own SD card, which is what I did. It comes with software for Android, WM and Symbian, but you can only activate one (obviously!).

No you don't need to use postcodes for entry, but you can if you want (at least for UK and Netherlands)

They say it is compatable with Android phones, which should include the Nexus. Email them to ask - their support is very good. If you get an answer can you let me know as that may decide whether I upgrade my Hero to Android 2.1 when it is available.

AFAIK just like most "proper" sat navs it does not use triangulation of cell masts. It uses GPS, in my case my Hero's internal GPS receiver. The Nexus has one of those too so I am not sure why you would need an external receiver.

As for whether Teleatlas is better or worse than Navteq ....... who knows? I have heard complaints and praise for both. Both are owned by faceless European businesses. Teleatlas is Tom Tom and Navteq is Nokia. I am afraid sat nav went mainstream a long while ago.
Copilot for USA
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what is a better term than 'made'? Did you understand what I meant?

Yes the names in Contacts seem to be eastern EU, and I find in whois the country code SK, so Slovak Republic. Not so sure about this. Rather it came from western EU.

Their Aura seems very interesting, although it's not ready yet. Probably expensive.

I didn't realize the newer HTCs had built-in GPS. Any idea whether it appears as a bluetooth device, or as USB?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO software is not "made" it is developed, or maybe compiled. And invariably it is developed by the colaboration of many people working for many different organisations in many parts of the world. For example Sygic's maps (which is by the largest part of the software MB wise) are supplied by Teleatlas. A company owned by a Dutch company, with offices all over the world including the USA. Where was that developed (or made)? I don't know and I am not sure I care.

Where a company is based rarely dictates where the products they sell as their own are made. For example Apple and Google are both as American as apple pie and yet the iphone is made in China and the Nexus in Taiwan (or China according to the PRC). Much of Microsoft's software is compiled or managed by state of the art software houses operating in India on long term contracts.

So I suppose the answer to your question is no I don't understand what you mean by "made" when referring to software.

Just about all HTC phones have had GPS for the last couple of years. In fact most recent smartphones have GPS built in, not just those from HTC. It is hardwired in so I am not sure how it talks to the rest of the phone, all I know is that in my Hero it does seemlessly, as it did with my previous HTC Touch Diamond running WM.

Many of the apps you can get now recognise the GPS signal generated and make use of it for all sorts of useful (and less useful) reasons. From recognising where you are on the ski run or golf course to being able to know where you are pointing the camera on your phone so as to give tourist information on what you are looking at.

Modern technology, and the way that it is being integrated, never ceases to amaze me.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Just about all HTC phones have had GPS for the last couple of years.

Three and a half years ago was the first HTC phone with integral GPS the P3300 Artemis, otherwise badged as the O2 XDA Orbit or T-Mobile MDA Compact-III. Since then a whole raft of phones have been released by HTC with built in GPS receivers, some were hidden and took a hack to get the GPS activated others (most of them) simply work straight out of the box.

Just for accuracy Sygic became McGuider before switching back to the Sygic name, although the time period they were originally known as Sygic wasn't for very long.

As for selecting the integral GPS, these days the associated port simply appears in the application for use there is no messing around (like we used to have to do with some software/ hardware combinations) - Mike
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
IMHO software is not "made" it is developed, or maybe compiled. And invariably it is developed by the colaboration of many people working for many different organisations in many parts of the world.

You said it... 'developed' can be all over the world. But the package originates from somewhere, and the best word I had was 'made'. Maybe this is a cultural difference.

It matters to me, because I consider western EU products (excluding UK) to be better-considered and of higher quality than elsewhere, anywhere. This is why I asked.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
It matters to me, because I consider western EU products (excluding UK) to be better-considered and of higher quality than elsewhere, anywhere.
How to win friends and influence people on a UK based forum Shocked
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't notice that I excluded my own country as well?

Just stating my honest opinion.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
You didn't notice that I excluded my own country as well?
Ah, You're right, I didn't notice that. Very Happy Very Happy
Off topic. I started it Stop!
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suggest we all take refuge in the Pixies....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: