Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rising Solar Activity will disrupt GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rising Solar Activity will disrupt GPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
good-hifi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised at the lack of knowledge demonstrated by people on here. Solar flares generate solar radiation, it is nothing to do with heat or light. Solar activity has been known to knock out power supplies across Canada for long periods of time. It won't have a problem knocking out GPS systems.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good-hifi wrote:
I'm surprised at the lack of knowledge demonstrated by people on here. Solar flares generate solar radiation, it is nothing to do with heat or light. Solar activity has been known to knock out power supplies across Canada for long periods of time. It won't have a problem knocking out GPS systems.

Where does anyone mention heat/light? I think we're all well aware of the possible effects of a burst of solar radiation. The doubters here are merely doubting the accuracy of the claimed 'increased activity' rather than denying the power of the Sun to cause such harm.

As it is, I have no doubt that a spike in activity could indeed cause serious issues for the service. What is still in question is 'IF' this increased activity is proven.
premgyani
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: What ? 2012 ? Reply with quote

Oh my ... so the Solar activity will rise to record breaking levels sometime in 2012 ? eeek. Does that mean that the Solar radiation will make the Earth boil and we all die ( As predicted by a recent film called "2010" ) mid December ?

I don't know about you guys, but I am getting the chainsaw, chisel and hammer and making myself on of those Ark thingies ...

Prem Cool
martinloat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think more in terms of your GPS receiver being blinded for a few tens of minutes like a flashgun has gone off, swamping your normal vision (signal).
Of much more interest is the connection between sunspot activity and weather patterns on Earth - get your holidays in early 'cause were up for some rough weather 'till it all dies back again.
I wonder what the "global warming community" will try and attribute it to? Rolling Eyes

For those interested enough to want to know more; Google the European Space Agencies Soho and Cluster projects.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What ? 2012 ? Reply with quote

premgyani wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but I am getting the chainsaw, chisel and hammer and making myself on of those Ark thingies ...

Prem Cool

Aw heck, Prem, will you be making one with a bit of extra space? I'm hopeless with shelves and stuff, so could you fit me and Vera in please? Could I bring a cople of Stellas to calm my nerves? (I'll bring you a stick of Corfu rock back this summer if that'll persuade you).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What ? 2012 ? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
premgyani wrote:

Prem Cool

Aw heck, Prem, will you be making one with a bit of extra space? I'm hopeless with shelves and stuff, so could you fit me and Vera in please? Could I bring a cople of Stellas to calm my nerves? (I'll bring you a stick of Corfu rock back this summer if that'll persuade you).

..and how do you expect to navigate it?? Rolling Eyes

OT

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just floats around until it ends up on the mount of olives or some such unlikely place. Problem is you won't know where you are, but by then you will be past caring anyway Very Happy
colbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Rising Solar Activity will disrupt GPS Reply with quote

We can safely assume that the satellites themselves are adequately protected against solar flare activity, else the military GPS users would be as much affected as the civilians as the Sun goes through its regualar 11-year cycle of rising and falling activity. The problem is that the increased radio noise at the GPS receiver when the Sun is highly active can prevent the cheap and simple user-grade SatNav sets from receiving the spacecraft signals properly. Solar activity prediction is notoriously imprecise and always subject to unpredictable and unforseen solar flares, even in periods when the Sun is in its quiet phase.

I have had GPS receivers of various kinds since 1994 and have therefore been through a solar maximum before, when user-grade SatNav sets were much less efficient than is now the case. At worst, I believe we can expect solar flare events affecting GPS for a few hours, as now, but more frequently over the next few years. YMMV though!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It just floats around until it ends up on the mount of olives or some such unlikely place. Problem is you won't know where you are, but by then you will be past caring anyway Very Happy

Just cos' I'm taking a couple of Stellas? Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
stuartb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Could be the least of our problems Reply with quote

Wrote this and then realised that it partly repeats points already made in the thread - hopefully there's enough new to make it worth still posting... cheers.

I am not a fan of doomsday news, but recently had course with work to look into some of the work done on the potential effects of solar activity. There is a possibility that such activity could cause damage to power infrastructure so GPS disruption would be a minor problem by comparison. This has happened before in a small way (Quebec and New York 1989), but its mooted that large transfrormers on power grids could be destroyed. Given that these have lead times normally of 1 - 2 years, the loss of several could cause severe problems for month/years (so best get those car chargers for the iPhone and start making the tinfoil helmets!).

If you want to know more about the area, try Googling "Solar Superstorm" and "EMP commission". You'll find information from a US federal commission which was looking at the possibilities of manmade electromagnetic pulse (e.g. from a nuclear bomb), but the information about likelihood and potential impact of solar activity is in there too. The thinking seems to be that there's a 100-200 year likelihood. A severe event has happened before (1859) but we didn't have much that could be damaged back then. It's perhaps no surprise that Nasa has just launched a new telescope designed to provide better predictive information on solar activity.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: