Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has the route calculation got any better?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has the route calculation got any better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Has the route calculation got any better? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had a streetpilot i3 for a good number of years now, and it has been very reliable. Recently the plastic where the ball mount goes into snapped and I have it stuck together with sellotape Embarassed

I'm now thinking of upgrading, Halfords have some good offers on at the moment and had my eye on the Nuvi 205W.

Does anyone have any experience with this mode?

The i3's are paricularly bad at routing if you're outside a city and will frequently take you down single lane or b roads where there are more appropriate routes. I remember someone saying that tomtom had an option to avoid b roads if possible, is this feature now available from garmin?

I much prefer garmin and would like to avoid tomtom if at all possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

TIA.
ander02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm sure you will read on several forums maps and the routes sat navs take you vary quite a bit.

What I did was go into a local store and play with several make of sat nav, a number of them allow you to plot a route so I would enter the start and end points of a route I know well and see how the sat nav compares to the route I would take. This should give you an idea of whether it will take the same routes your streetpilot would take you.

On two of the routes I tested, the TTs were well off the mark, on one sending me a long way around the local town centre as it didn't know about a gap in a central reservation so kept trying to approach my destination from the oppostite direction rather than nip through the gap (which is what it's there for). On the other route tried sending you down a tunnel underneath the property I was trying to get to. Garmin was spot on for both these routes so I went for the Garmin.
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I am aware that garmin have, and probably still have the superior maps.

I guess ill go and check the specs a little more Rolling Eyes I'm just interested on whether the units these days have more flexible route options.

Just wanted to know if anyone knew of hand.

Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: