Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 750 Review- POI issue?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 750 Review- POI issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Go 750 Review- POI issue? Reply with quote

I took delivery of my new Go 750 live yesterday. Overall, quite impressed, it's an improvement over my old 720 but probably only because it's capable of doing more. By this I mean the live services. I acknowledge they are a paid for subscription but I'm impressed with the idea.

Having upgraded to the latest app and map (no warning received re lack of space or problem encountered in that area) having done a full explorer back up first I then selected all of the POI's to display.
This morning I drove to work, only a distance of 8-9 mile and used the device for a trial run, see how it worked. I was very disappointed to see that the screen re draw or refresh was so low it rendered the device unusable. The screen would only update every 4-5 seconds. Past experience quickly suggested this may be a POI problem, not enough memory and the device was struggling (maybe). I therefore pulled over, deselected all POI's from map display and the screen refresh/redraw was back to normal. The unit was able to track my road position to my satisfaction.
I've since counted the POI's I'm trying to display. All told, including the default tomtom lot (not their speed cams) and the PGPS speedcams (uk speed zone complete) I have a total of 90 different POI groups.

Is this then the problem, do I have too many selected that the unit cannot display a decent framerate?

Im aware of the flash tool and will give that a try. Although I didn't try the earlier app/map combination I may reinstall and give that a try to see if it copes any better with the 90 POIs displayed. I'll post back my results if the flash tool doesn't work.

Any helpful comments appreciated.
Regards and happy and stress free motoring to you all.
Pete Question
PS The device only has 31.1mb of space left just in case that fact is relevant.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need so many on display? Confused As you are trying to get the 950 to read every POI set each time it refreshes, I'm not surprised it takes ages.

Unless you actually need a POI displayed, it's best not to. For example, I only have motorway service areas and car parks displayed. For the camera alerts, use the "warn when near " function. This will show them when they are nearby and also alert you to their presence.
Brodit ProClip mount
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmm, a reasonable question to ask. I guess I don't need them all. In fact I've removed about 10 so I'm down to around 80. If given the preference I would like to have as many displayed as possble. Why? For me it adds to the driving experience, I like to know what's around me as I drive nearby.
Has anyone here got 90 displayed with good screen refresh performance?

The other issue I don't like with the latest app is the way the info bar is displayed. The 720 display was much better in my opinion, more organised. The 750 doesn't offer the choice of customising the info bar the way I'd like.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80. WOW

My 740 was noticably slower when i had 50 showing all the time. I reduced it to 33 PGPSW Speed Cams and 2-3 others such as Parking and Fuel. Much better now...
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul2005B,
thanks for your reply. It's becoming clearer that the more POIs displayed the more likely the user is to experience a reduction in performance.
Anyone have any thoughts on the info bar on the 50 range?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day, the POI's are there to allow you to navigate to them. You can enable those that you need on any particular day so you can browse the map and see them but you do not need to enable them in order to navigate to them?

TomTom need to consider a warning when so many categories are enabled as visible as clearly this will be at the detriment of the display refresh.
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two good points there Darren, thank you.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:

The new layout of the status bar is also a matter of taste, I guess.
Looking at it objectively, I think it is probably more rational, having the direction arrows and lane guidance in the middle and the less important stuff arranged on either side - current situation (such as speed) on the left and destination statistics on he right.

However, I am SO used to the old layout, I still don't like the new one yet.
Many people wanted to get rid of the GPS signal strength bars, but I miss them.

Darren wrote:
......but you do not need to enable them in order to navigate to them?

I was about to say that unfortunately, the TT software 'enables' a POI category to display, every time you "Navigate to..." one of it's entries, so if you navigated to various types of POI, you slowly ended up with more and more being selected to display without realising it.
A manual "purge" was needed every so often, to switch them all off again!

But it seems that they have got rid of that "feature" in recent software and I'd never noticed! It's certainly not there on v8.351.

Last edited by Andy_P on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
Paul2005B,

It may be my memory playing tricks on me but when EPT is activated, the speed display disappears from the bar, I am sure that did not happen on V8 software.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I am SO used to the old layout, I still don't like the new one yet.

Same here, I still find myself looking at the screen for longer to work out my speed, which isn't good, don't get me wrong its only fractions of a second but I still don't like the revised location for the speed reading.

Andy_P wrote:
Many people wanted to get rid of the GPS signal strength bars, but I miss them.

I don't see any need for these, the modern devices are very good at obtaining and holding on to a position fix so that part of the HMI isn't missed (by me anyway)

MrT wrote:
when EPT is activated, the speed display disappears from the bar, I am sure that did not happen on V8 software

I don't recall ever seeing speed information on the screen when EPT kicks in on any version but unless I roll a device back to Navcore 8 I would be 100% sure - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the application need gps signals to determine the speed and, if so, doesn't it stand that it can't show the speed when EPT kicks in, which is when the gps signal is lost?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds right to me... Smile
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit intiially needs GPS signals to determine the speed and it will know the speed before it calibrates the EPS. From then the EPS sensors will detect any changes in speed and direction and these are added to the original velocity. It is just a case of whether TomTom choose to show this information. In EPS mode it does know when you speed up and slow down or go round a corner.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure the EPT system does not need GPS input before it can function. The solid state gyros are independent of GPS data.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sensor requires to be driven in a straight line for about a mile before the EPT will work, if you are constantly turning corners in a town/ city from setting off it won't work - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: