Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dartford Bridge SPECS cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dartford Bridge SPECS cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll have to put the signs back up if they become active so maybe that's the prompt. Film free Gatsos still have the camera signs.

If I spot them I'll waive any download rights for reporting them.

FWIW I suggest a year of non use with signs removed might be a decent time point. That'd be May 2010.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
SteveMPS wrote:
MaFt wrote:
. .thatnks, but i can;t see an A21 near those coordinates. can you give a camera id i can check or some more accurate coordinates (preferably 5 decimal places) . . .

My typo didn't help Embarassed

It's camera Truvelo 5472 at Lon: 0.25029 Lat: 51.18355 and you have it right in your Feb 10 database, they didn't in last weekends update.

this camera hasn;t been changed in our database since 8th january 2007. and then that was only to correct the heading data.

so it certainly should have been in last week's database!! Laughing Out Loud

MaFt
Here's a pearl of wisdom from Tired Old Smartypants Me.
My oldest database backup is 31st May 2006 and Truvelo:5472@70 is in there at 51.18355, 0.25029.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
They'll have to put the signs back up if they become active

Do you really believe that?

Extract from halfway down THIS PAGE from Department for Transport website, Safety Cameras Frequently asked Questions...
Quote:
What is the law governing safety cameras, speed limits and safety camera signs?

The law does not require drivers to be warned about the presence of safety cameras. However, the Government wants drivers to know both the speed limit on any given stretch of road, and also that camera enforcement is taking place.

Drivers sometimes think that a speeding penalty is not valid if the route is not signed correctly with safety camera warning signs. This is not the case. The only signing that is required in law for a speeding offence to be valid is that the speed limit of the road must be properly signed. The placing or visibility of speed camera warning signs has no bearing on the enforcement of offences detected by safety cameras and does not provide any mitigation of or defence for an alleged speeding offence.

Hence you can be snapped from a motorway overbridge without warning signs at the side of the motorway, from anywhere at night when it may be too dark to notice any warning signs, or anywhere where the warning sign just happens to have fallen over, become dirty like a motorbike or 4WD number plate, etc, etc, etc.

SteveMPS wrote:
FWIW I suggest a year of non use with signs removed might be a decent time point. That'd be May 2010.

I disagree - I don't want them to be missing next time I drive across that bridge. They are NOT issuing pointless warnings, the speed limit is 50mph. Why should we put the majority of members at risk by removing the camera warnings, when the cameras are actually there and the speed limit they represent is actually correct? For the occasional Inforad K1 user who just happens to be speeding and doesn't like to be warned of it?

And what's with May 2010 anyway? Since when did May arrive a year after September?
SteveMPS wrote:
The "cameras not in use" signs went up last September and were later replaced by the painted out camera signs.

SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisting my words won't change the facts Dennis

Facts:

1. I suggested several pages ago that someone make the issue a poll so we can better see what the true view is.

2. I also suggested that the database entry became one that still sounded a warning

3. It's not just the InfoRad K1 that sounds a prolonged warning.

4. It would be May 2010 and not September because they went up in May 2009 and the DofT reply to JaTe now makes it clear they have never been operational.

5. Even the duplicitious DofT wouldn't prosecute for cameras where there were adjacent cameras signs painted out.

6. As spooky pointed out: This previous thread suggests your policy is not to put a camera in the database until it becomes active. So what's so different about the QE2?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMPS wrote:
6. As spooky pointed out: This previous thread suggests your policy is not to put a camera in the database until it becomes active. So what's so different about the QE2?

cos the cameras are there and the speed limit is as it will be. the ones mentioned in the other post were for specs that have been put up in preperation for roadworks with a reduced speed limit. in these instances we try to wait until they are active but more recently we (I) put them in with an 'unknown' speed so the warnings are there and set the actual reduced speed once they are fully active. this way if the reduced speed becomes active on a wednesday night then users still have a warning for the camera.

the QE2 is different because the cameras are there without roadworks and they are currently et at the current road speed.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another take on the QE2 cams.
What confuses me about these cams is that three are at 50MPH and the last one is at 40MPH. As it is 'known' that specs do not take a snapshot, but do a distance/time calculation between successive cams, how does the 40MPH section work?

One of my problems is that I do not know where the last two cams are in relation to the reduction in speed limit from 50 to 40MPH. But from my rather aged and imprecise memory, the last 40MPH cam is located somewhere around the area that the speed limit reduces from 50 to 40MPH, but of course I am open to correction on this.

Is the third 50MPH cam actually the start of the 40MPH section (I suspect not)? Or is the fourth (in the db as 40MPH) cam positioned near the start of the 40MPH section (as I suspect)? If the former, its speed should surely be 40MPH not 50MPH. If the latter, where is the second 40MPH cam set?

If (as I suspect) the fourth cam is at the start of the 40MPH zone, then surely it is the end cam of the three previous cams in the 50MPH zone and should be set to 50MPH, not 40MPH in line with other specs zones. Or are we expecting another bunch of yellow 40MPH cams to be installed later closer to the toll booths?

Having said that, all this seems to be irrelevant because it appears that the cameras are not in use at present anyway, but what will they be set to when they are in use?

As another alternative MaFt could have set it to 40MPH to indicate the end of the 50MPH section. This is a suggestion that I made a while ago that the last cam in a sequence should be set to the prevailing 'normal' speed limit (even if it is not right at the end of any temporarily further restricted area) to indicate that it is the last cam in the section.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta MaFt for the explanation

M8TJT my recall is the last cam is on the the same structure as the 40mph signs which makes a nonsense. It's the most important limit there as the 40mph one is there to to stop accidents between the more idiot drivers at the (also idiot) toll booths. As only a real grade 1 DofT idiot puts toll booths at the end of a bridge it's quite likely the same grade 1 DofT idiot has placed the last cam where it will have least safety effect. Rolling Eyes

This should show it as the shadow of the gantry is exactly where the database has the cam
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted that oddball 40mph Spec camera too - it's immediately prior to the split to individual lanes leading to the toll booths (shown by SteveMPS) so unless there was a second 40mph Specs on each and every toll, it would be impossible to capture any vehicle exceeding 40mph between the camera and the line of toll booths - which lane might a transgressor take?

It's more probable, I think, that the speed limit before that final camera will be reduced to 40mph and the preceding camera (the last of the three currently shown at 50mph on the database) will be the start of the 40mph zone.

I'm not due to go that way for a couple of weeks; what do regular Dartford crossers think?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth don't they just get rid of the toll booths and use an electronic plate reading system to collect the toll? Oh, I know - they won't make any money from fines for people exceeding a speed limit imposed for a toll booth that need not be there! Rolling Eyes

It's a crazy mixed up world.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Why on earth don't they just get rid of the toll booths

The official reason from minister Steve Ladyman no less is that they need the tolls to reduce congestion and ensure the bridge never gets overloaded. link

Quote:
"One of the purposes of tolling is that cars are effectively metered as they cross the bridge so it does not exceed its design capacity - it's a safety thing and that's perfectly legal,"

One of the worst bits of governmental truckwittery you will ever see, or in short a blatant lie. The tolls as implemented are actually probably illegal under the Human Rights Act (danger to life, infringe family life) but I haven't got the £30k spare it'd likely need to get an injunction. Mind you I'd have thousands of new friends.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"One of the purposes of tolling is that cars are effectively metered as they cross the bridge so it does not exceed its design capacity - it's a safety thing and that's perfectly legal,"
Excuse Big Thicko here but which loads a bridge more - traffic moving continuously in a smooth flow (no booths) or stuck stationary on the bridge choc-a-bloc from one end to the other (booths)? Rolling Eyes

I can only hope there isn't a cabinet reshuffle before the election putting Steve Ladyman in charge of Defence while we are still in Afghanistan Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a thingy that says a moving vehicle "hits" a bridge at greater than its actual weight? Or did I dream it? Confused

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Isn't there a thingy that says a moving vehicle "hits" a bridge at greater than its actual weight? Or did I dream it? Confused
Only if you drop it from a great hight, or travell extremely quickly. Einstein said that as a body approaches the speed of light it tends towards zero length and infinite mass. So to overload the bridge we need a load of trucks, nose to tail at, or near the speed of light Shocked . From what I have heard, if you can get up to 50MPH thats good going. Very Happy
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually pick your time of day and the traffic moves very freely over the QE2. Get it wrong or just be unlucky and you will be sitting 100s of feet above the Thames next to heavily loaded truck after truck nose to tail clearly lightening the loading Rolling Eyes and you get to think "if the bridge collapses will Stephen Ladyman turn up to the funeral to say sorry?"

AFAIK he's now an ex minister with a wafer thin majority so will be unemployed soon - good!

There has been a suggestion that they will double the toll for the tunnels and zero that for the bridge.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dartford Crossing is on the government's asset disposal list so who knows what will happen to the tolls should it become privately owned. They were supposed to be dispensed with once it had been paid for, weren't they?

I shall keeping my eyes peeled when I cross on Wednesday - what was the colour of those cameras again...?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: