Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gadget Show Live: Sony show worlds first GPS Camcorder
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gadget Show Live: Sony show worlds first GPS Camcorder

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Videos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Gadget Show Live: Sony show worlds first GPS Camcorder Reply with quote

Sony had on display what was claimed to be the World's First GPS camcorder the HDR-XR520VE this is a 12MP HD recorder with a 240Gb hard disk drive for up to 29 hours of HD video storage. What differentiates this camcorder mo any other is the inclusion of a GPS and also Navteq mapping.

As you press record the GPS location is recorded in the meta data associated with the clip. This is then used to place a pinpoint on the map to identify where you recorded the video. Currently the only software systems that support video GPS co-ordinates are the inclusive Sony software, but I imagine it will not be long before the likes of You-Tube are able to use the information.

Click here to see Nick Webb from Sony product management describe some of the features of the video camcorder. We are expecting a review sample to come shortly so we can give a much more detailed appraisal of the device. Priced at £1319 it is not cheap, but then when has new technology ever been? Click here for more details on the Sony Style site. Although Nick says the camcorder is available now SonyStyle still has it flagged as Pre-order.

Click here to view our Gadget Show Live report and other videos.
pgirgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Nice idea Reply with quote

We did a websitr for geocoded video that would display a moving map actually as the video plays. We tried to contact Sony to see if their camcorder would record GPS continually like the commercial systems do today and could not find the right person as would love to ntegrate to the website (www.visualpin.com).

If anyone can tell me if it actually geocodes moving video or whether, like photo-tagging, it just adds a locaiton to the start of a video it would be great to know.

I think geocoded video is definitnely coming but it needs to be more than a simple geo tag. It really needs to be able to show the location as a movie plays!

cheers
Peter
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nice idea Reply with quote

pgirgis wrote:
If anyone can tell me if it actually geocodes moving video or whether, like photo-tagging, it just adds a locaiton to the start of a video it would be great to know.

At the moment it only record the start point of the video. This was a question I put specifically to Nick Webb.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Nice idea Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
pgirgis wrote:

At the moment it only record the start point of the video. This was a question I put specifically to Nick Webb.
What a shame! The idea of watching a tour video overlaid, or split screen, with a moving map would be interesting!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
vidmap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We at Vidmap are dealing with similar challenges. Major brands of camcorders in the consumer segment just don't support continuous recording of GPS coordinates neither to the video headers themselves nor to additional files. We are anyway pretty sure that this is one unique feature we'll see in the wild soon.

Meanwhile we did implement a convenient track editor to geocode any uploaded video by hand, which is comfortable and working really well.

A few snaps of the editor:

Come visit us on Vidmap.de. We would love to see you there!

-Mario
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nice idea Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
MikeB wrote:
pgirgis wrote:

What a shame! The idea of watching a tour video overlaid, or split screen, with a moving map would be interesting!

Isn't this what Roadhawk does?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't this what Roadhawk does?
And you could have about 7 of them as well! Razz

Mind you, I wouldn't be too sure about my street-cred rating if I was seen using an RH for an on-foot video, eg a Lake District walk (never mind the length of the cable) Shocked Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: