Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - [v8/WinMob] Importing Saved Routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

[v8/WinMob] Importing Saved Routes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: [v8/WinMob] Importing Saved Routes Reply with quote

Information:
CoPilot Live v8
CoPilot Central 2.0
Device: Tilt 2 (Touch Pro 2)

I'm trying to figure out how to get a custom route (Google Earth Kml file) to display. When I go into Central with my phone connected and use the "Import KML" feature, the new route shows in the list but I can't figure out where or what options to use in CoPilot itself to bring it up so I can use it. Any idea's?
SumTingWong
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in

Menu - Plan or Edit Trip - Options - Load

From my experience, depending on how you export your kml file from Google Map/Earth, all got imported into CoPilot Live was either the start & destination of your route or the start & destination plus the the turning points of your route from Google. CoPilot will do its own routing between those points instead of using the routing you prepared on Google Map/Earth.

It's generally yet another once-good-but-now-made-completely-useless feature from CoPilot. I used to plan my entire cross-country trip (CA to NY) on Desktop CoPilot back on version 5 and imported it into CoPilot with such ease. Now planning one damn trip from Portland, ME to Montreal was more difficult than pulling teeth out of my mouth. After more than 8 hours of trial and error, I gave up. I ended up having to use a paper itineraries to aid me on making the right turn so I can travel on my intended route. It's ridiculous.
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree with you more ..... the product is going backwards. I think I will convert to another brand. I don't know how a company can take a potentially good thing and make it worse every year ... and that includes their customer & technical support.
Decer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a shame, looked like it could of been a great feature. Thanks for your reply
SumTingWong
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When there was still Desktop CoPilot, what was included in the trip file produced by Desktop CoPilot were also ONLY a list of stops and waypoints as you were adding/planning on Desktop CoPilot. Because the Desktop CoPilot and the Pocket PC CoPilot were using the same map data and the same routing engine, the route produced in the Pocket PC CoPilot is identical to the route you see when you plotted the stops and waypoints on Desktop CoPilot. Nowadays, because you're using a different set of map data and routing engine (from Google Map, for example) The route you see between the list of stops and waypoints you added on Google Map is not the same route when you see it plotted on CoPilot Live 8. That is understandable and that is what make this feature now completely useless.
mhw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded to Copilot 8 and was shocked to see that Copilot Central no longer has its own route planning app. Google Maps has a very good route planner and it is possible to export to kml file. The problem I found is that too many points are generated and they are all Copilot Stops instead of Waypoints. This can play havoc with Copilot thinking you have reached your destination at every turn.

There is a neat solution to this which works for my pda running Win Mobile:
- Use the old Copilot Central for vers7 as this creates .trp files easily, including Waypoints
- Save .trp files to desktop pc in a folder
- Using Win Explorer, copy .trp files to pda, into the folder where routes are saved:
- In my case this was:
- \SD card\copilot\eu\ukireland\save – you can check where .trp files are saved already to verify the correct path
- Bingo! – all the trips are available on the pda

Basically, this means the new Copilot Central app is redundant... all it does is enable you to buy more maps and voices

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: