Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map downloads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map downloads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Map downloads Reply with quote

Can I download a tomtom map of Australia straight to a sd card in a card reader, or does it have to go through tomtom home with device (tomtom) plugged in. Any advise on how to get the map to the sd card would be greatful. thanks.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to do it through HOME, and HOME has to recognise that a device is connected.

Probably best to copy everything from your TT apart from your current map folder to your SD card and then download your map.

What TT model do you have?
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, Thanks for the reply. Tomtom 730.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - copy the entire contents of your internal memory except your LoquendoTTS, mp3, raster and map folders.

Fire up HOME with the card in the reader. HOME will see it as your device and allow you to download maps straight on to the card.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the SD card left in the TomTom, Home *should* allow you to select the card as the download destination.

However there has been a recent bug where Home tries to install the map onto both the SD card and the internal memory even though you told it to use the card.

I'm not sure if this has been fixed yet, but worth a try....
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guy's, This is for my cousin in Australia. She bourght the 730 last year here in the UK. First thing I did for her was to do a back-up of the unit on my computer. On her arrival home she tried to do a map update, and for some reason it did not work, and now the unit does not work, tried resetting it to no avail, so I have sent her the back-up copy,which I am hopeing to talk her through and get the 730 working again. Then download the map of Australia to the sd card. Not easy to explain to her all this way away. ( Did the back-up with explorer). Any help grateful, Thanks.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have a backup why don't you put it on to a 8GB SDHC Card, plug it in to HOME and download the map etc for her straight on to the card.

Then ship her the card and tell her to format her internal memory as FAT32 and copy everything on to her device apart from the Australia map.

Now boot the TT without the SDHC card in it and check it works OK, update Navcore etc through HOME.

Now shut down HOME completely (including task bar icon) and connect the SDHC card. Delete everything off of the SD Card apart from the Australia map folder. Eject the card, put it in the TT and voila - all the original maps and the Australia map!
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Andy.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: