Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Nav recommendations around £150
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Nav recommendations around £150

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronguthrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Sat Nav recommendations around £150 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase my first sat nav and am looking for some recommendations.

I've just passed my driving test so thought one with lane indications would be beneficial but other than that I'm not bothered.

I was looking at the Navigon 4350 Max but was worried that as its not one of the two big players the maps may not be kept up to date.

Anyone help?

Cheers,
Ron
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon use maps from the same supplier as Garmin - Navteq (TomTom use teleatlas). They do an update package at £80, but you should certainly get a 80% discount with the 4350max judging from their website - have a look. This gives you 4 updates a year for two years - a VERY good deal.

Make sure you check what it says on the box though if you buy from a retailer, eg, Halfords - especially if you seem to have found a bargain (remember free lunches). Check EVERYTHING even more carefully if you are thinking of buying off ebay (tell me you're not Cool ).

Hope that helps.
ronguthrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

think I've narrowed it down to either the navman 4350 max or the tomtom XL Live IQ both from halfords, any advice?

One question I do have in general though is can you browse the map and pick a destination from the map rather than enter a post code?

Cheers.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that you mean Navigon 4350max, not Navman? If so, I can't personally make a comment about the 4350 itself, but my experience with my own unit has been pretty good. Some features are quite sophisticated, but not available on all units (except sometimes at extra cost). There are several 4350ers on here who may be able to advise, and you may like to look up a couple of threads on here about them.

The things I would mention are that if you expect to put on your own particular points of interest (POIs), such as Caravan Club sites, or CAMRA pubs, Navigon won't let you do that at the moment. They do of course have MANY POIs of their own, including pubs, restaurants, supermarkets, etc which are generally reasonably good.

Also with Lane Assistance, this is pretty good for motorway/major A road exits, though I've seen someone say that TomTom might go a bit further, with some roundabouts included. In general though, TT is a big blank spot I'm afraid! Hopefully you won't have to wait long for the TT boys to come along either - most posts on here seem to about TT Cool

In the meantime, I'd suggest you also have a look at their websites for info/demos about features, download a user/quick start guide for the models you are interested in to see what the screens/menus look like, and finally when you think you are more or less there, try them out with a few things, such as planning a route, in Halfords to see how the handling compares for you. (It's a pretty personal choice in many respects). What I would STRONGLY suggest is that you do NOT ask Halfords for their advice, unless you want to end up with what they most want to sell at the time Evil or Very Mad !
brms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: navigon 4350 Reply with quote

I got one of these from Halfords just before Christmas to replasce my TomTom One. Had initial problems with some features not working, and Navigon's help wasn't initially a lot of use - butHalfords swapped it without quibble and the new unit works very well. Navigon have since given me the map updates free of charge for two years because of the difficulties I had.

Nabigon works very well, giving the name or number of the road you're turning into, which is a big help. Speed cameras are there, as are warnings of speed limits, and loads of POIs. It's not as flexible as TomTom: not easy to load the pocketgps speed cameras, or your own POIs, but I think it's a great satnav and I'm very pleased with it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronguthrie wrote:
Hi,

think I've narrowed it down to either the navman 4350 max or the tomtom XL Live IQ both from halfords, any advice?

BigPerk wrote:
do NOT ask Halfords for their advice, unless you want to end up with what they most want to sell at the time Evil or Very Mad !

excellent advice from BigPerk there! Very Happy

I don't know a bean about the Navman or Navigon, but I know a fair bit about TomToms and I think the XL LIVE is a VERY competent device.
The Google Search on the LIVE models is very handy and the Traffic info is now pretty good.
My one gripe is I hate the screen mount, The actual suction bit is fine, I just don't like the way it attaches to the unit itself, but that's only personal, others think it's great.

ronguthrie wrote:
One question I do have in general though is can you browse the map and pick a destination from the map rather than enter a post code?

On a TomTom, you can choose to navigate to:
1. a City or Town Centre
2. a town, road name and house number,
3. a postcode
4. a crossing or intersection
5. a point you select on the map - what you were asking.
6. a Point of Interest (either one of the the ones supplied by TomTom or ones you load onto it yourself)
7. a previously stored 'Favourite' location
8. any of several previous 'recent destinations'
9. your preset 'home' location
10. one of the results of a Google search ('Live' models only)
11. Latitude and Longitude coordinates
12. the position of your last stop

Hope that helps!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One caveat to add to Andy's advice. If the point you want to navigate to on a Tomtom isn't on a mapped road, then you won't be successful in routing to it.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P's answer seems pretty comprehensive! It gives me a bit of a toe-hold on possible comparisons ( bear in mind mine is a different, older, unit, but should still be broadly the same, plus you should find additional features). With Navigon you get the same options as Andy lists (with (12) you probably need to save it first), and:

- when you plan a journey it will normally offer you 3 routes - this can be pretty useful as it gives you more of a choice of how you want to travel;

- it gives you the option of navigating to a car park near your destination;

- it is pretty open-ended in planning multi-leg routes, if you are planning stop-overs;

- it has a category of 'National Interest' POIs. So if you want to go to Heathrow airport, or the Angel of the North for example, you don't need to find the address/location but can find the POI in the list;

- you can specify 3 categories of POI to be displayed on the screen for easy selection. This displays local ones to where you are. Handy for petrol, hotels, etc

- if you have traffic, you get a verbal description of the problem when you select a particular incident. You can choose to reroute automatically, manually (it shows you the proposed diversion on the map), or ignore and keep on the original route;

- if you have Reality View it provides a realistic display of the overhead signs at junctions on motorways and major A roads;

These are just a few pointers - you need to check what you would actually get on your unit. And of course, many or all of these may be available on the TT as well. As I say, I'm completely blank on their products Embarassed

Anyway, hope that helps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Andy_P's answer seems pretty comprehensive!

So does yours Big_P!

As you've listed a few more features, I'll see what the TomTom equivalent is... (but this isn't intended as "a mine is better than his" post!)

BigPerk wrote:

- when you plan a journey it will normally offer you 3 routes - this can be pretty useful as it gives you more of a choice of how you want to travel;

TT usually gives you it's "Fastest" route, but all models give you other options such as of "shortest", "Walking", "avoid motorways", and "bycycle" routes.
The latest models also offer an "Eco" route and "limited speed" options.

BigPerk wrote:
- it gives you the option of navigating to a car park near your destination;

TT doesn't do this automatically

BigPerk wrote:
- it is pretty open-ended in planning multi-leg routes, if you are planning stop-overs;

TT allows you to add one "waypoint" on normal navigation, so you can ask it to go from A to B via C.
If you want more complicated multi-drop routes, you can use the "Itinerary" feature, which allows many destinations or waypoints in a single route. You can save those Itineraries for later use, but it isn't clever enough to optimise the entire route for the best order to visit the stops in. (very few satnavs can do this)

BigPerk wrote:
- it has a category of 'National Interest' POIs. So if you want to go to Heathrow airport, or the Angel of the North for example, you don't need to find the address/location but can find the POI in the list;

Tomtoms are supplied with about 60 points of interest categories, ranging from "Airports" through "doctors", "hospitals", restaurants, car parks, camp sites etc. etc.
In the UK, some categories are very good, some are very poor (only three "libraries" in the whole of England, for example!)

BigPerk wrote:
- you can specify 3 categories of POI to be displayed on the screen for easy selection. This displays local ones to where you are. Handy for petrol, hotels, etc

TT shows the five last categories you used on the first page and then lets you search alphabetically for any others. (Actually, the five it chooses for you as the "most likely" are picked by a rather complicated system based on frequency you use them, which no-one QUITE understands!)

BigPerk wrote:
- if you have traffic, you get a verbal description of the problem when you select a particular incident. You can choose to reroute automatically, manually (it shows you the proposed diversion on the map), or ignore and keep on the original route;

Pretty much the same on TT...

BigPerk wrote:
- if you have Reality View it provides a realistic display of the overhead signs at junctions on motorways and major A roads;

Pretty much the same on TT...

Some TomToms have "Text to Speech voices that can read out the actual road names etc. so you get "in 100 yards, turn left, Queen's Drive". The cheaper ones just have generic instructions like "in 100 yards, turn left".

Some TTs allow you to use voice commends for many of the things you would otherwise tap the screen for - "Volume up!", "Tell me the weather forcast" etc. Unfortunately, using it for "Navigate to..." takes quite a time to complete, so I never bother with it.

The "LIVE" models have constant data connection to TomTom's servers so they get Traffic, Weather Reports, nearby Fuel Prices, Mobile camera alerts, and Google local search. Some are good others less so (the fuel prices are a bit iffy to say the least). Google search is fantastic and replaces the need for "Points of Interest" a lot of the time (e.g. you can just ask it to find "fish and chip shops" near your current position, or your destination, or anywhere on the map!

TomTom don't make it very easy to compare features between models. Ask here!

Last edited by Andy_P on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, that's a great response. I think that should give ronguthrie plenty to help with his choice!

Ron(?) - obviously there are lots of overlaps - it doesn't seem sensible to keep on with a point-to-point between your choices without knowing more about what you need (there are some of Andy's latest points also available in Navigon, but not necessarily all); you'll obviously want to investigate further.

Do come back with any further questions - 'Ask here'! (where did I hear that?) Cool
mikeiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I liked about the Navigon (& one reason I moved to it from my aging TomTom One !) was that it offered the Premium TMC at no cost, as well as free map updates for 2 years. This was with the 4310/4350 Max model (I got from Halfords), so I suspect is not on all models from all suppliers !

(That said, you will see another post from me pointing out one of two problems I have had, so I am not anti-TomTom or pro-Navigon !!)

cheers
Mike
sleppard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have upgraded from the TT One to Navigon 4350 Max

It seems fine apart from the TMC is really tempremental (2hr around the M25 and no signal?!?)

Will be discussing this with Navigon.
This was discussed on the Halfords website who offer the best price I could find in the UK

simon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: