Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go 520 Handsfree Bluetooth on power or not, crackles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go 520 Handsfree Bluetooth on power or not, crackles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 520 Handsfree Bluetooth on power or not, crackles Reply with quote

Just noticed a strange one with my new Tom Tom Go 520, I went out for a test drive on Sunday, TT 520, Nokia 6230i, and charger connected to car cig socket, all was well, Handsfree was crystal clear, did notice any issues.

This evening on the way home needed to call a haulage company because the driver of lorry with trailer crashed into the side of my car, destroying passenger wing mirror, (don't know what other damage it's dark! we'll see tomorrow), but I noticed that the handsfree was crackling, breaking up, and the backlight on the TT520 dimmed, everytime their was an engaged tone.

I just re-tested, and it would appear, on charge connected to pc or in-car charger there is no issue, but without, the backlight dims, and starts to crackle......It looks like there's not sufficient voltage/milli-amps to sustain what the TT is doing.

Currently at about 1/3 charged.

Any comments, anyone else noticed this?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but it's not strange (not a new thing to have noticed). Quite simply, you get a free in-car charger with it because that's how it's intended to be used. It's OK to run it off the battery for a very short time, but serious useage means plugged in (whatever the claimed battery life, that's with every battery-saving feature invoked and no extras in use, e.g. bluetooth). It's just not practical to try running them on battery alone I'm afraid. I keep all mine on chargers permanently, either in the vehicle or on my desktop.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why as the battery charge drops the TT will shut down functions to lengthen the battery life - the sound is usually the first thing to go, along with LIVE services on the devices with SIM cards.
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Sorry, but it's not strange (not a new thing to have noticed). Quite simply, you get a free in-car charger with it because that's how it's intended to be used. It's OK to run it off the battery for a very short time, but serious useage means plugged in (whatever the claimed battery life, that's with every battery-saving feature invoked and no extras in use, e.g. bluetooth). It's just not practical to try running them on battery alone I'm afraid. I keep all mine on chargers permanently, either in the vehicle or on my desktop.

thanks that's all I needed to know! Just hadn't bothered to plug it in the second time on using it! It clearly looks like a low voltage/high current drain, with backlit dimming......
einstein-a-go-go
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
That is why as the battery charge drops the TT will shut down functions to lengthen the battery life - the sound is usually the first thing to go, along with LIVE services on the devices with SIM cards.

thanks for prompt response.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: