Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amusing email from TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amusing email from TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
If this is true, how about an addition to the TomTom FAQs alerting users to the risks of using Mapshare, perhaps with some examples of errors?

I don't think PGPSW is in the business of recommending or warning. Expressing opinions in forum threads like this one is one thing, but FAQ people on what to use is a very different matter (and for my sins if you can believe me, is why I don't campaign to get people not to use MapShare, simply bore you regularly with my opinion on it). By the way, there are examples of good things about MapShare too (do corrections and they show up on your map for your benefit right away - I do my local nine or ten every time I get a new map).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in the business of recommending..... the FAQs are full of recommendations about how to get the best from your TomTom!

Edited for typing mistake.

Last edited by spook51 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I cannot see a single 'Don't use mapshare' in the quotes Very Happy Twisted Evil

Didn't say there was....
All I said was that Dennis' quotes could be interpreted as trying to dissuade people. Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interpretation is all a matter of interpretation, innit? This judge needed an interpreter for an accused German, so he asked if anybody in court could speak German. Paddy jumps up and says "Oi can yer 'onner". Right, says the judge, come down and ask him what is his name, so Paddy comes to the well of the court, turns to the accused and shouts "Vot iss yor name?" Razz

Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennisN
Very funny, I’m sure that there is a place on television for you.

As for ‘Map Share’ I think its about as much use as the ‘GPS Quickfix’. Both are ok to play with but that’s about it. The trouble is that when Tomtom do add useless extras they discard something else that is of practical value. But there again, it must be difficult to keep everyone happy.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Trevor, but I have to disagree with you.

Much as I criticise (and refuse to use) MapShare, I think it has tremendous potential. The only thing wrong with it is that TomTom have made a complete pig's ear of the implementation. Employ some full time verifiers.

QuickGPSfix - I dunno. A couple of weeks will mark the second anniversary of me not using it. Maybe it's useful if you leave your device in a cupboard for a few weeks/months on end, but I use mine virtually every day and apparently it downloads GPS updates every time it connects, so it's no use to me.

Other stuff...

IQ Routes. Could be so much better if only it had the capacity to get data for all the alternative routes, whereas I suspect the alternatives are mostly unrecorded, therefore indicating clear roads/speeds. It would greatly benefit if TT were to reintroduce more road categories.

Voice recognition. Could be terrific if they cared to take my advice. I suggested (here, not to TT) they should have one main voice command, namely "TomTom Menu". Then keep only the existing City and Street voice recognition words. After that, have a tiny amount of recognition training (display a few city and street names for you to pronounce and it to learn to recognise your accent - how many years ago did wordprocessors use that method to learn to understand you?) and have ALL commands numbered (just as in the city/street recognition listings). Drop these however many phrases for us to learn and TT to recognise.

Bluetooth handsfree phone. When it works, this is glorious. Trouble is the compatibility "issues" mean I'm the only person in the world with an old enough phone and an old enough TT device to make and receive phone calls and texts successfully.

Customer Support. Offer large sums of money to the likes of Mikealder, AndyVaughan, Andy_P and several others on this website to take over the support.

Those are my main ones. TomTom devices are already (in my opinion) much better than the opposition, but they could be so good the opposition would be wiped off the face of the earth, if only TT would get a grip of the "issues" and "challenges".

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: