Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - LIVE renewal - cheapest option
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

LIVE renewal - cheapest option
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: LIVE renewal - cheapest option Reply with quote

TomTom were kind enough to make me an offer this morning for 12 months of LIVE traffic for £79.99 instead of the RRP of £95.99. A quick check shows Amazon sell 12 months for £76.99, so this special discount is more than the standard price elsewhere!

Where should I be looking to buy from for the best price?
If I buy one of these token things, how long does it last for on the shelf so I can have it ready and waiting for the day my existing sub expires?
Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks, Matthew
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i asked TT about the cards this is what i got back...

Quote:
The pre-paid subscription cards can be activated through TomTom Home (Use my activation code) at any point. The prices for the subscription cards and the online subscriptions are very similar, so ultimately you will end up paying the same regardless of which you go for. The only difference is that the 12 month online subscription can be purchased at a 15 GBP discount through TomTom Home currently.

Now with regards to the price I'm taking it that the online retailers are undercutting TT by £3 to sell the cards. Who knows how much they buy them for though? £30? £50? £75? I'm sure they are still making a (small) profit.

With regards to using the card i would hope it works like the Map Updates offer did for me last month where the new subscription is added to your current one. This means you can update at any time and it'll simply extend your sub by 12 months. Although it might be worth asking TT first.

The cards are also avalible for £69.95 on eBay too....

Also the TT website lists the card at £79.99 but under "How To Use" it states

Quote:
You can also buy through TomTom HOME, which will save you the shipping cost of the scratch card.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note that HandTec have the card at £68.90. I suspect this is where I'll buy unless anything else comes up.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe I'll ebay it and get a new 1000 model which includes LIVE for 12 months.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished activating my 12mths of live services that I bought from eBay - genuine item, 3 days delivery, came in sealed packet and got for less than any of the prices quoted so far in this thread Very Happy

12 Month Live Services Card
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob (?), did you make an offer for less, or was the price at the time lower? Handtec are currently a little lower, but come the day I may take this option.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the 'best offer' - £62 was automatically rejected but £65 was automatically accepted, so at least you now have a starting point if you want to go down the same route. Good luck! Thumbs Up
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these being used with older units? i.e. over 12 months old

If so can someone confirm that the card worked ok? And did it add 12 months to any remaining subscription?
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
My 940 is over 12 months old - purchased in Jan '09 and the card worked fine. As for adding remaining subscription I was into the last couple of days of the previous subscription when I activated the card yesterday and afterwards the unit showed an expiry date of 29/4/11 so I think it did, but hardly a definitive test.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these cards have a shelf life as my Live Services are about to expire and I am tempted not to renew until I have a long distance drive coming up which will probalby be my summer holidays.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any expiry date on it - the card comes in a cardboard sleeve with instructions, sealed in a pilfer proof pack. You open the pack, scratch the number off the card (like the old PAYG mobile top up cards) and then connect you device to Home and click the "Use my activation code" icon, enter the code number (I think I got some kind of conformation at this stage), disconnect your device and then log in again on the device itself.

You could always use the 'Ask a question' button on eBay to enquire about possible expiry date.

Service Cards
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
And did it add 12 months to any remaining subscription?
Paul, I've had a response to a Question I raised with TomTom, confirming that I can activate the card now, adding 12 month to my service which expires in June, therefore running until June 2011. I'll confirm, once I activate, that the date, shown on the 940, does indeed change to June 2011.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm sure someone at TomTom told me you can only use these cards with new devices (i.e. less than 90 days old). Looks like the usual service then....
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, Looking at the TomTom web site there is a 24 month map update which is available only for new devices and within 90 days. There appears to be no such restriction for Live options.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: