Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Phone Compatibility
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Phone Compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Phone Compatibility Reply with quote

If the TT device is Bluetooth enabled e.g. GO 530 and your phone has bluetooth capability does the phone still have to be an acceptable match to the TT device?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, yes. The compatibility page is here

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/

where you can select your Tomtom unit and then see which phones are officially supported!

iPhone 12
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks falkirk81 now I know what new phone to buy.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help.

Smile

iPhone 12
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Don't be too confident about the list. I have a Nokia N82 and a 6230i, both of which are on the list, but I cannot get either of them to correctly set up a Wireless connection for any TT Services.

Handsfree works less often than it doesn't and TT Custmer Support has advised that they cannot offer a fix. I am pleased to say that I haven't paid for any additional services, but the Weather and Buddies could be useful under certain circumstances.
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Mobile phone compatibility list - cannot trust it Reply with quote

Hi all,

I had a similar problem a few months ago which TomTom could never fix.
(Basically updated my 710 from map 835 to 840 and Traffic, Buddies & all wireless data connections to my phone stopper working - unable to fix).

The official line from TomTom 2nd line engineers is that the compatibility list is only for mobiles with original manufacturers firmware i.e. not supported if the firmware is adapted by the network operator. This is stated on the compatibility list webpage in small grey text so is v easy to miss......

So, if your mobile displays your operator logo at startup or shutdown, or has an operator specific menu e.g. "Orange plus" then all bets are off as to whether it will work.

Good luck,
John.[/i]
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

sorry - meant when updating map 830 to 835 (not 835 to 840) - seems to have been a common problem....

John.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely a map update cannot have any effect on phone compatibility... Must have been an accompanying software update done at the same time?
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Surely a map update cannot have any effect on phone compatibility... Must have been an accompanying software update done at the same time?

Andy, I don't think so. I have rolled back to 8351, 8302, 8301 and to the original 7221 on my 520, using ClearFlash three or more times on each attempt and I still cannot get a Wireless connection established.

I'm pretty sure it's not the map update either, so the firmware updates must have altered something in the OS that screws up the Bluetooth innards.

TT Support shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do for me. They made no mention of 'branded' phone firmware being unsupported. I mean, really, if they show all the carriers in the Bluetooth setup screens, Orange Contract included, - why don't it work??

I am going to try getting either my old N73 or more recent N82 'debranded' and see if that helps.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone TomTom support and ask them to roll back the Boot Loader to a previous release, their reply will be interesting but it should be possible and will most probably fix the BT issue your are having - Mike
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: phone compatibility - wireless issues after map 830 update Reply with quote

Hi AndyP - I have to agree with Richard345

I have been on to Tomtom support since start of September and still no joy. They have now stated that they cannot help further - am not happy.
I updated my TTGo710 (OS 7.903 - latest version) from WEurope map 830 to 835 (as part of MapUpdate program) in early Sept and this is when I hit problems.

All worked fine beforehand; Traffic, Buddies etc. on a very common phone Nokia 6230i. I have also tried another handset on another network - same problem.

The update did not state that it was changing anything other than the map. Revertng to a backup of map830 restored everything but going through the map update to 835 a second time broke the wireless connection again.

TTsupport suggested changing tmccodes.dat then later a complete rebuild with clear flash - still no joy (& the rebuild/clear flash broke my old working backup using map 830).

Wireless data & Traffic is still broken on my TTGo710.
I did see other threads here and here dating back to Sept on broken traffic/wireless and have tried these but still no joy

I'll try TTsupport gain but any help gratefully received!
TTGo 710 (v7.903)
WEurope map now v840 (wireless & Bluetooth traffic still broken)
Mac not PC
Nokia 6230i - one on o2 and one on Orange (worked previously).
Exact point of issue is going through the phone setup wizard as it get to 60% or 65% and then states something like cannot connect to wireless device.
I have tried deleting phones & re-pairing etc but no joy.

John.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: phone compatibility - wireless issues after map 830 upda Reply with quote

johnnym100 wrote:
Hi AndyP - I have to agree with Richard345
++++++++++++
I updated my TTGo710 (OS 7.903 - latest version) from WEurope map 830 to 835 (as part of MapUpdate program) in early Sept and this is when I hit problems.
++++++++++++
The update did not state that it was changing anything other than the map. Revertng to a backup of map830 restored everything but going through the map update to 835 a second time broke the wireless connection again.

Then that's quite bizarre.
The only thing I'd have thought possible, is what MikeA was referring to in his post - that during a software update the bootloader program also gets updated and that DOESN'T get restored back to what it was when you do a restore from a backup.
But if that was causing it, then you wouldn't have got the phone functionality back when you reverted to the previous map.
So I'm flummoxed as there is patently nothing in the map folder concerning phone connections.

Makes you realise why TT have such a battle keeping their software updates working properly!
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: phone compatibility - wireless issues after map 830 upda Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

My Map 830 working backup was from a backup done outside TThome and on a separate SD card so was a true backup not a partial roll-back via TThome.
As such, the bootloader issue may be a possibility, as could other updates downloaded surreptitiously.

Best,
John.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting to the limit of my knowledge, but as far as I'm aware, even restoring with a full Explorer backup will not return the bootloader to it's previous version - once it has been updated on the device you're stuck with it unless TT can provide you with a special utility to revert to a previous version (as has been done once before, at least).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot roll back the boot loaded by re-installing a backup, once the boot loader has been incremented it stays where it is until the next increment.
If the boot loader has screwed up the device (or a single part of it) I am not too sure TomTom can offer anything to roll the BL back as even clear flash won't touch it, they might want the unit back to roll the BL back - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: