Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - how do i get spoken camera voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

how do i get spoken camera voices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westentertainer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: how do i get spoken camera voices Reply with quote

just had a nuvi 1310 after many years with tom tom.

how do i get spoken camera warning sounds ,i know the nuvi does not use mp 3 , any help please just going round in circles now
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Garmin expert so can't answer your question in detail. as I understand it, you;d need an older version of POILoader that supported the upload of .wav files and then you'd need either your own alerts or to download and convert ours which are in .mp3 format.

Either way it ain't a simple process.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR you could try Ash's camera manager (subscribed) version which can use .wav for voice files
Idea

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OR you could try Ash's camera manager (subscribed) version which can use .wav for voice files

I can't see how. Perhaps I'm wrong but Ash10 CM has nothing to do with the voice files, it just manipulates the data files. You'll still need the older version of POILoader to upload wav files with the manipulated data files.

westentertainer - Check this recent thread from the Garmin PND forum which has instructions to install the wav voice files.
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash has his own .wav files, so there is no need to mess about converting mp3's or anything. No need for an ancient version of POI loader.

It is actually very simple to do, just check out Ash's sticky post for details. You will need to donate a small amount to get the full version of camera manager but it is well worth it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i see. I mis-read the line from the ppost i linked too...

Quote:
Garmin added .WAV support to POILoader (Version V2.5.1 or later).

So they've added it, taken it away and added it again?

Still not sure why you need to subscribe to Ash10 CM to use the wav files but perhaps i've missed something....
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash's program creates a gpx file with all the sound files incorporated . I did try and do it without but couldnt get the voice files to sound off on my 2720 (used .wav).

Now I have the warnings for each camera and for overspeed a female saying "slow down" much more effective than bong bong.
Shocked

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ash's program creates a GPX file with all the sound files incorporated .

I believe that statement is wrong.

The method has always been take the CSV or GPX files and mix them in a folder with the wav / mp3 file you wish to use. POILoader then pairs the data files with the sound files of the same name and combines all that into the POI.GPI file on the unit.

You can use any wav file that is 44KHz, Mono without having to use Ash10s Camera Manager. The only reason i can see that you would need to use CM is to use the Voice Pack Ash10 offers for download. As stated above you would need to make a donation to unlock the software to enable you to use one setting. Namely the "Sort by camera type and speed limit" option as this is the only setting that makes GPX files that match to the Voice Pack Ash10 provides.

There is no compelling reason to use Ash10s Camera Manager to achieve wav spoken warnings. Nor is there a reason to contribute towards it just to achieve spoken wav warnings.

Please note i have used Ash10s Camera Manager software in the past and i have also contributed. I think it is a great piece of software and has it's uses but it is not accurate to state it is required in order to achieve the OPs aim.

All that the OP needs to do is download the voice pack from PGPSW that matches the speed camera database they wish to use. Use Audacity (free) to convert the mp3 to wav and then mix them in with the CSV files they downloaded from PGPSW. If they use the latest POILoader, with the right Voice File Pack converted to the right type then all should be OK.

I've been out of the Garmin loop for a while but checking back it seems the only thing that has changed is the more up to date version of POILoader support wav files again, so there is no need to revert to the old 2.4 Beta. The thread i linked to above shows all that is needed is wav files and the database files.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul you may be right but on my 2720 and the 2820 afterwards I could not get the voice files to work until I used ash's program. Now this may have been stupidity on my part but it simplified the whole process and worked .

Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a bit of confusion regarding all this, so I'll have a go at clearing things up:

----------------------------------------

To get voice warnings, you will need:

i)
A Garmin device that supports them Wink

ii)
A .wav or .mp3 file for each POI category that you want a voice warning for.

These should be in the same directory as your POI files, and have the same filename (except for the filetype suffix) as the associated POI file.

For example, if you had MyPOIfile.csv (or MyPOIfile.gpx) then you would also need MyPOIfile.wav (or MyPOIfile.mp3)

Note that .wav files can be one of many different formats - I'd suggest sticking with either 16bit 44.1kHz mono, or 4bit ADPCM 22.050Hz mono.

iii)
A version of POI Loader that supprts your chosen sample format - some versions work with .wav files, others with .mp3, some do neither, and some probably do both.

Don't ask me which, a search is your friend - personally, I use 2.5.2 with .wav files.

----------------------------------------

Just to re-iterate, it is not necessary to use Camera Manager to get voice warnings.

However, using Camera Manager will give you much greater control over POI categories and hence more specific voice warnings (which is why it has it's own voice warning sample set).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: