Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Button Mechanical Failure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Button Mechanical Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Button Mechanical Failure Reply with quote

I love my Satmap 10 which I've owned for over 6 months now, but I wonder if any other users have experienced the same problem as I've had with the buttons on each side of the case. Both the lower righthand side pair have partially detached at different times from the rubber shroud over the switch mechanism. Whlst the switch still operates OK from normal button pressure, the two buttons instead of being rigidly attached, now wobble about all over the place.

I can only guess that they are attached with some kind of industrial superglue adhesive - which has failed. I thought the first button broke after I'd dragged it out from the overtight case it came with, so stopped using it (the case). Now the second button quite recently has partially detached, so the case would appear not to have been the cause. Satmap say that they have never come across this before (quoted 4 or 5 months ago), so wondered if anyone else has suffered this problem. I hope to get the case complete with new buttons renewed under warranty in due course.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's broke? The actual button or the rubber cover?
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Button Mechanical Failure Reply with quote

It is the plastic button not the rubber underneath. Each plastic button (the bit you actually press) on the lower RH side of the case appears to be partially detached from whatever is underneath it - the rubber shroud over the switch mechanism I guess. The pair on this side have both been affected, the LH pair seem OK. You can almost lift it away completely at rightangles from where it used to be attached, with a fingernail. I trust that explains what the fault actually is. The switches still operates though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not entirely clear! The button is underneath, it's covered by the rubber waterproof top part.

Not important as it's being repaired, was just curious! I don't have my A10 here to compare directly hence the Q's.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dubious about the build quality of the buttons generally - the two LH side buttons on mine have a completely different feel to the two RH side buttons - the LH ones feel quite positive and you know when you've clicked them, the RH ones are mushy. Maybe its intentional but I doubt it, given that the mapping of instructions to these buttons can be handed.
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how I can make this clearer - but thanks for your interest by the way! OK, let's start by calling the "button" the mechanism underneath, and the plastic button cover, the bit that sits on top, is visible when you hold the Satmap in your hand, and is the thing you physically press with your finger when you operate the button. It is this visible plastic cover that is partially detached from the two buttons on the RH side - probably the two I use the most, especially when zooming in and out.

I'm just curious to know if anyone else has suffered this problem. I'm not clumsy, I generally hold the Satmap in my hand as I walk along, don't thrust it into pockets or cases, so I can only think I've somehow managed to detach the plastic button covers from over-use of those buttons. I'm also concerned that I'm likely to do the same thing again to a replacement, unless someone can enlighten me as to what the cause is.

To Axys: perhaps your RH button covers are detaching? With a fingernail, can you lift the button cover away from where it may have detached? That's how I first found out what had happened. The button had a less than positive feel to it, so I tried the fingernail test, and that's how I discovered it was coming away from the button underneath. Just a thought.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a loose button for ages then eventually if fell off completly. I don't think that it was held on with glue but two bits of plastic, sort of hinges I guess. I think that at some point one had broken which is when it became loose then the other one broke some time later. Having had my a10 for over a year I decided as it was going to have to go back to satmap that i'd have the £25 maintenance which included a comlete new case, glass, cover, buttons and antennea tune.
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
I had a loose button for ages then eventually if fell off completly. I don't think that it was held on with glue but two bits of plastic, sort of hinges I guess. I think that at some point one had broken which is when it became loose then the other one broke some time later. Having had my a10 for over a year I decided as it was going to have to go back to satmap that i'd have the £25 maintenance which included a comlete new case, glass, cover, buttons and antennea tune.

Thanks for that, at least I now know it has happened to someone else. Yes, I take your point re. the two plastic hinges. The button cover does indeed appear to be fixed to two "hinges" (for want of a better word) only visible if you have a completely detached button cover! Mine are not quite there yet! I intend sending to Satmap and hope I get the £25 jobby for free!
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may or may not be helpful:

I once dropped my Satmap onto stony ground. It survived with only minor cracks to the screen cover, but also one of the buttons (or plastic outer button cover that you press) partially detached. I gave it a push, and it went back into place with no problems. It's been there ever since.
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satmapian wrote:
This may or may not be helpful:

I once dropped my Satmap onto stony ground. It survived with only minor cracks to the screen cover, but also one of the buttons (or plastic outer button cover that you press) partially detached. I gave it a push, and it went back into place with no problems. It's been there ever since.

Since my last, one of the button covers has come completely away, and I can now see how it was originally attached. My assumption was correct, two minute spots of dried out "superglue" like substance lie underneath the cover, which originally would have been glued to two tiny raised rubber pinnacles protruding upwards. There is also a spigot moulded in the centre, and it is this that depresses the switch mechanism buried under the rubber. In my opinion this is a very poorly engineered means of attachment that in time is bound to fail.l
thepot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had the same problem. I've repaired the broken button by attaching it with clear water proof sticky tape, I will do the same for the rest of the buttons so that I can't lose them. I was fortunate in that the unit was in a water proof bag when I noticed it had fallen off.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepot wrote:
Just had the same problem. I've repaired the broken button by attaching it with clear water proof sticky tape, I will do the same for the rest of the buttons so that I can't lose them. I was fortunate in that the unit was in a water proof bag when I noticed it had fallen off.

Return it to Satmap,it has a two year warranty.

You don'y even have to pay postage.

Ian
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepot wrote:

Having just returned my Active 10 for the second time to have its detached button covers fixed...I can certainly endorse the above as a good way of keeping these switch covers in situ when they detach. It also enables the switch to continue functioning, as the button cover has a moulding underneath that actually depresses and activates the switch. Sticky taped button covers might also extend their life too, as I notice there's much less lateral movement of the button (and less stress on the button cover) when depressed - which may be the eventual cause of the adhesive failure, and the detachment of the button cover.

I probably use those buttons more than most, preferring for example to input routes directly on the Active 10 rather than via the Route Planner on the website. Those switch covers are the weakest link as far as I'm concerned and spoils what is otherwise a great product. Strange though that so far it's been the pair on the RH side that has been affected, those on the left so far remain intact, and they get almost as much use if not the same as the other pair.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: