Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CPL8 (WM) - TTS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CPL8 (WM) - TTS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: CPL8 (WM) - TTS Reply with quote

According to CPL Twitter (what a mongrel way to provide support) "There is a text-to-speech add-on for CoPilot Live 8 (Windows Mobile) available for £2.99 ^CO." Does anyone know how to purchase the TTS add-on? If I look under CC2 Voices, there are no purchase options. Thks
SumTingWong
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: TTS for WM is finally here! Reply with quote

Just downloaded and installed it. Haven't tried it out yet as I'm still at work. TTS only available for US, UK, FR, IT, DE, ES

http://blog.us.copilotlive.net/?p=393
wilkhaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTS works well, good integration and nice voice. The update also give free Live Local Search.

Unfortunatley it will only work on version 8.0.0.620 which many people are finding that the inbuilt upgrade doesn't recognise. An email to ALK tech support results in a direct link for download.

It's well worth the few quid in my opinion, it's just a shame that ALK have once again managed to screw the whole process up!
SumTingWong
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found v8.0.0.620 here for those of us who are banned from using CoPilot Central to get the new update.

http://www.alk.eu.com/files/v8/winmobile/cabs/8.0.0.620-2577.zip

Using the same logic, I found the old v8.0.0.557 here http://www.alk.eu.com/files/v8/winmobile/cabs/8.0.0.557-2577.zip
SumTingWong
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8.0.0.620 didn't work for me!

It disabled the Safety Camera function. The option disappeared from the Settings and CoPilot stopped announcing safety cameras. When I reinstalled v8.0.0.557 the safety camera functions came back.

For botth v557 & v620, TTS came out stuttered. Maybe my hardware is not powerful enough. If TTS worked for anybody, could you please let me know your device brand and configuration? My device is the Athena x7500. I'm running MiChY's ROM R6.1. CoPilot and data are both on the Polaroid 16GB micro SD card. I typically have 50MB memory every time for running programs. I only run CoPilot and no other software was running at the same time.
Wildoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried it yet in car - but install put all my settings back to default ie only showing POI's when car moving & no safety cameras - will test and see. But have been able to tick safety cameras and select distance etc so looking promising. Also cameras show on map when I select a destination via map for an area that I know there is a camera for. [PS:HTC Touch Pro II std ROM 6.5].

W
nonno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded and installed the .620 update and purchased the TTS add-on (running an X1 with a stock WM6.1 ROM). Finally after two and a half years we're back to where we were with CPL V6.0. I'm using the UK Emily voice, its reasonably clear however it sounds to me to be heavily compressed and some of the pronunciations really 'strained' and don't sound natural. In my view the TTS engine is not as good as the engine used in NNG iGO8. One wonders why it has taken so long to implement this.

After waiting so long for this I'm thinking I prefer the non-TTS voices. Its a bit like sex and Christmas, you look forward to it so much and afterward you wonder what all the fuss was about Laughing
tomdaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I downloaded it and it 'nearly' works on my HTC Touch. I say nearly because the TTS commands are not output over bluetooth. If I change the voice to a non TTS one it works a treat. So no use to me then.
SumTingWong
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomdaws wrote:
Well, I downloaded it and it 'nearly' works on my HTC Touch. I say nearly because the TTS commands are not output over bluetooth. If I change the voice to a non TTS one it works a treat. So no use to me then.

Hey Tom. Did your TTS work when you're not using bluetooth? The reason I asked was that HTC Touch has a nearly identical specs as the HTC Athena (both 128MB RAM). If it worked on yours when bluetooth were not involved then it should work on mine (but it didn't. Too much stuttering) The other two replies above all involved high-end devices (250+ MB RAM) so TTS should work on theirs.

Also, correction, safety camera announcements did work in v8.0.0.620. It was the announcement distance setting that disappeared. But if I use the old v8.0.0.557 to set the announcement distance then install v8.0.0.620, the setting is transferred over.
tomdaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Tom. Did your TTS work when you're not using bluetooth? The reason I asked was that HTC Touch has a nearly identical specs as the HTC Athena (both 128MB RAM). If it worked on yours when bluetooth were not involved then it should work on mine (but it didn't. Too much stuttering) The other two replies above all involved high-end devices (250+ MB RAM) so TTS should work on theirs.

Yes TTS seems to work great using the phones own speaker - though I haven't tested it extensively. I've certainly not experienced any stuttering at all.

Its probably worth me mentioning that the voice commands on my phones speaker are pretty awful, so I use a Jabra SP700, mainly use its speaker, but occasionally use the FM transmitter to my radio. I really like this setup and the TTS would have been the icing on the cake, I'll keep playing and see if there is a workaround.
wetsleet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonno wrote:
I've downloaded and installed the .620 update and purchased the TTS add-on (running an X1 with a stock WM6.1 ROM). Finally after two and a half years we're back to where we were with CPL V6.0. I'm using the UK Emily voice, its reasonably clear however it sounds to me to be heavily compressed and some of the pronunciations really 'strained' and don't sound natural. In my view the TTS engine is not as good as the engine used in NNG iGO8. One wonders why it has taken so long to implement this.

After waiting so long for this I'm thinking I prefer the non-TTS voices. Its a bit like sex and Christmas, you look forward to it so much and afterward you wonder what all the fuss was about Laughing

The ONLY TTS voice I get offered (UK English) is Eleanor. The "test" sound is OK, but in use she speaks too quickly and runs words together eg "turn right onsandylane". Also her voice is slightly breathy and sounds very compressed - it simply does not carry very well against the background noise in a car. I much prefer Luke - but he doesn't do TTS.

I have tried downloading Emily as per your post - it goes through the motions and gives me a confirmation message at the end, but the voice is not there and can not be selected. In any case, she has no asterisk so I'm guessing she isn't TTS. Just typical of the whole flaky set-up that is ALK software.

I have tried using Central to download additional voices, but the only available one is the TTS voice (Eleanor as it turns out) already downloaded with the TTS upgrade. It does not seem possible to download the stock voices - so if you delete one by mistake then that is just too bad, its not available via Central from a library.

I'm glad I only paid 3 euros or whatever it was - TTS is useless for me since I can't hear the voice. Over to you once more, Luke, you smooth talker!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: