Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom are considering their own forums, good idea?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom are considering their own forums, good idea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the new Tomtom Forum had been in existence a year ago I wonder how long the Post concerning the ‘Stuttering Voices’ would have been allowed to run. Not long, that’s for sure. It would have been snuffed out like an unwanted candle.
However, I suppose that the chance of membership will be offered to new Tomtom buyers and they, never having heard of Pocket GPS World, will think it a wonderful idea. From then on their awkward Posts will land up in the hands of the dreaded Second Line Support Team and will never surface again.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike and many others on this - the best advice will always be outside of Manufacturer run forums - there will be too much censorship when the going gets tough.

Todays headline on the Official TT Forum

Have you just got a LIVE device for Christmas? Google Search not working? Don't worry, we have known about it for weeks and it is your fault because you must have done something to your brand new TT and broken it so please format it and reload from backup whilst running clear flash 3 times and performing a hard and soft reset.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Have you just got a LIVE device for Christmas? Google Search not working? Don't worry, we have known about it for weeks and it is your fault because you must have done something to your brand new TT and broken it so please format it and reload from backup whilst running clear flash 3 times and performing a hard and soft reset.

It's funny because it's true. Laughing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
If the new Tomtom Forum had been in existence a year ago I wonder how long the Post concerning the ‘Stuttering Voices’ would have been allowed to run. Not long, that’s for sure. It would have been snuffed out like an unwanted candle.
However, I suppose that the chance of membership will be offered to new Tomtom buyers and they, never having heard of Pocket GPS World, will think it a wonderful idea. From then on their awkward Posts will land up in the hands of the dreaded Second Line Support Team and will never surface again.

Nice one Trevor.
I suspect that's exactly how it would work.

Mind you, maybe they are genuinely concerned about their image/reputation, and that's why they contacted PGPSW to 'test the water'.

They may well be reading this thread and already cringing with dread of what's to come!
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that amazes me is that that their understanding of their user community is apparently so shallow that they have to ASK outsiders about the wisdom of setting up a forum.

They should have asked HOW to run a successful form, not WHETHER to run one.

If they don't know about the dynamics of internet fora, then there is little hope that they will understand any advice they get, and even less chance that they will organise anything useful.

Unless of course, the objective is not to get advice, but to be SEEN to be interacting with the community.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
They should have asked HOW to run a successful form, not WHETHER to run one..

Excellent point.

But don't they get it? For years this site has been their support forum!

Countless threads here show that owners have received advice that would otherwise have resulted in the device being returned as faulty.

As a bare minimum TomTom should recognise these facts and provide support to this site, irrespective if they want to waste resources playing the catch up game alone.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
Unless of course, the objective is not to get advice, but to be SEEN to be interacting with the community.

This sounds spot on. Just like any good government. Promise everything, carry out a 'consultation' then doe exactly as they want to do anyway and usually deliver little Confused
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TomTom want to start doing the right thing and listen to their customers thats fine, shame that wasn't done some years ago.
They are going to hang a lot of dirty washing out in public going down this route. If they can Walk the Walk fine. If they can only Talk the Talk then they are setting themselves up for a very big fall.
Here is a thought for brains at TomTom. Get what you have wrongly sold people working right and doing what it says on the box before taking this approach. You would be thought a lot more of by your customers for it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGPSW have five people full time committed to the various aspects of this site. Those five people don't just do 9 til 5 (just notice dates and timings of the answers coming up over the holiday and any other weekend).

Can you really see TomTom doing that? Best they'll offer is a website which they'll trawl for marketing goodies and ignore for problems.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
PGPSW have five people full time committed to the various aspects of this site. Those five people don't just do 9 til 5 (just notice dates and timings of the answers coming up over the holiday and any other weekend).

Can you really see TomTom doing that? Best they'll offer is a website which they'll trawl for marketing goodies and ignore for problems.

Hi DennisN, I think that is the point, TT shall not have to; We, the Community, shall be doing their job for them, 24/7.

At the moment, TT Support have to follow company guidelines and official replies which they must know is dragging down public confidence in their products. Now, if they can get the public to reply with un-official solutions, "they" have solved most of their TechSupport nightmares.

All the comments posted on this topic are perfectly valid but, as I said earlier, I still think this could be a Golden Opportunity for PgpsW to gain public awareness and increase subscriptions by using Hyperlinks.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Home will have a link to the Forum which will be marketed as richard predicts.

That will be TT's advantage - they will have a captive audience. But they will have to up their game substantially if a forum is not be a disaster for them, because I'm sure the owners of this site will confirm that the majority of users only come with problems, not praise.

DennisN wrote:
Readers will be aware that Moderators can (anonymously) edit and delete posts. On this Forum, (to the best of my knowledge) we simply don't do that and take criticism and complaints on the chin and act to resolve them out in the open.

Would you care to publish the thread where Capvermell claimed he was abused by a moderator out in the open?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
Would you care to publish the thread where Capvermell claimed he was abused by a moderator out in the open?

Why would you want to drag that up again. We moved the thread whilst we investigated as you know.

Of the many hundreds of thousands of threads here we have removed only a handful in 7 years and on each occasion there has been a valid reason for doing so. We do not arbitrarily remove threads that are anti PocketGPS.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:

Absolutely! That thread WAS conducted out in the open and was only terminated (not by me) when it became obvious the guy was out to stir up trouble, not contribute sensible posts. He claimed I had published information about him which I had obtained by abusing my position as a Moderator. It was investigated and proved that I did not have access to the information he claimed I could access. It was investigated and proved that I only quoted information which he had himself previously provided in his own posts on the forum. Search Capvermell's posts and you'll find a lot of his unsubstantiated rants are still publicly available.

It's a shame you chose to open that subject again as your and my posts deserve to be deleted if this thread is to continue to be useful.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, back to the discussion. Any further Capvermell discussion will be deleted as Mike and I wasted many hours dealing with his unsubstantiated claims and I have no intention of wasting more time on him.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Off Topic

Shame we are drifting away from if TT running their own forums is a good idea.

Edit: Darren, you beat me to it!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: