Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom model recommendation please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom model recommendation please.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkMarkB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: TomTom model recommendation please. Reply with quote

I have a 930T and am thinking about getting a similar device for my sister for Christmas. I want the ability to plug in a TMC receiver, but only really need UK (or possibly European) maps. TomTom are currently offering refurbed 530 at £150 and 730 at £180. Am I correct in thinking these will both take a TMC receiver?

What about earlier models like the 710 or 910 or 920?

Are refurbed units from TomTom a good idea?

Thank you.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the Go-x10/ x20 or x30 units can accept the RDS-TMC device, the Go-x10 is quite a bulky device compared to the later models, if all you want is UK&ROI maps then the 520 can be found for a bargain price from Here and as its new once its updated to the latest application and map all for free, it will have the same capability of a 530 at considerably less cost - Mike
MarkMarkB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much.
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering one of these 520 models..............

I remember reading somewhere about some FM capabilities being disabled in the past.

What can it do/not do in that respect?

Are the GO mounts that fit in car cupholders any good?

..........I am still running my original ONE V1 without problems. Will I appreciate the upgrade??????? Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1952kev wrote:

I remember reading somewhere about some FM capabilities being disabled in the past.

What can it do/not do in that respect?

TomTom originally had a feature to transmit the navigation instructions as well as the jukebox music via FM radio, but there is a European directive that says you not allowed to transmit "dead air" on FM.

Once TomTom were made aware of these EC rules, they interpreted them to mean they should not transmit the nav. instructions as there was too much silence in between each one, so they disabled it in a software update.
Lots of people complained, so eventually they reinstated it, but ONLY if you are also playing music, interrupted by the instructions (so there is a continuous broadcast).

The "get-round" if you don't want music, is to play a "silent track" on a continuous loop.
See this topic fm transmitting without music for more details and a download of a silent mp3 track I made.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1952kev wrote:

Are the GO mounts that fit in car cupholders any good?

Never tried one, but I would have thought that in most cars they would leave the Go too low to be easy (or safe) to use.

Quote:
I am still running my original ONE V1 without problems. Will I appreciate the upgrade??????? Rolling Eyes

Here's a list (written by Mike Alder) of the advantages of the Go models over the One's...
Quote:

Handsfree for mobile phone
Bluetooth data via mobile phone
iPOD Connection
Audio Line out socket
FM Transmitter built in
Bluetooth HiFi Audio output
mp3 player
SD card slot
Voice recognition
Text To Speech (it can read road names out)
Itinerary Planning **
Full custom POI menu **
IQ Routes
Reality View
Lane Assist
Compatible with Bluetooth remote control.

If you move up the product range to the 720 you get all of the above but it has more built in memory and is supplied with Maps of Western & Central Europe.

The 920 has even more memory and is supplied with Maps of Western & Central Europe plus North America. It is also fitted with a system known as EPT which is for dead reckoning position whilst devoid of a GPS signal such as when in tunnels, and is supplied with the remote control in the box.

Move to the x30 range and there is no real difference beteen them and the x20, a few colour changes to the menu, but not much else that is noticable.

The newly introduced x40 range is quite different to the other units, it contains a GPRS modem which is used to download data whilst you are moving, this can be positional data from on-line searches, speed camera updates (Only the TT Data) and Live HD Traffic, after a few months of free access to this Live service you then have to pay each month.
Much better mount with the x40 as it is an active style holder making connection of the actual device easier.

(taken from THIS TOPIC)
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your usual help Andy.

Just a couple more novice questions please...........

Can you play mp3 while navigating? ie does it interrupt music for directions and camera voice warnings?

If I sell my ONE do I have to remove all PGPSW camera info from the device first?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can play mp3s while navigating.
You can set the music to come from the same output as the nav. instructions or a different one (internal speaker/line out/FM transmitter or Bluetooth transmitter (to a suitably equipped car radio).

The music always pauses for a nav instruction, UNLESS you use the Bluetooth output when you have the option of pausing it or not. There has been a long campaign to get TT to implement that option on the other outputs, but no luck so far.

There can be a problem sometimes finding a free FM frequency on the radio, especially in London.
I use the Bluetooth output into a cheap Sony radio that has BT capability and find the quality better then the FM.

As for selling the One, you should definitely remove the PGPSW camera database first. The data is not transferable and if the buyer should "share" it, or it somehow ends up on one of the internet pirate software sites, it will be traced back to you and you're the one who gets banned!

I've always thought there should be a "demo" version of the data that you could leave on a unit when you sell it, as it could be a very good advert for the database and the site as a whole, but there isn't one currently.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To explain a bit more... at first, it sounds sensible and a good idea to have the music pausing for an instruction, but if you are driving round town (especially if there are a lot of roundabouts) you end up getting so many instructions (three for each roundabout) that the constant stop/start of the music gets annoying.

If you were listening to the ordinary car radio and had the nav instructions coming from the normal internal speaker, you'd automatically adjust the volume of the music so you'd be able to hear both, so I find having it NOT pause when you're using the TomTom as the music player is fine.
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. I have ordered the 520 from CPC.

That's a great idea about having a demo version of the camera database. I will include a recommendation & details of our cameras in the sale when the ONE is sold in any case.

I assume my Audi radio in a 6 year old A3 will be suitable to use the FM link. I am not yet into the world of Bluetooth.... Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FM Tx should work fine in your Audi, if you fancy adding Bluetooth to the car rather than fitting a different car stereo have a look at the iO-Play accessory, you can read about this product Here it works very well with a TomTom Go device - Mike
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the 520 up to App 8.351 and Map Guarantee 840.2562

Cameras, voice warnings, car icon & splash screen all on...........but I have yet another question.

How do I know if I have IQ Routes & Advance lane guide? Haven't had a chance to test it and I don't live near any major junctions etc.

I have an icon called Hide/Show lane images.........is that all I should have?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hide/Show Lane Images indicates that you have Advance Lane Guidance.

You will have IQ Routes with that combination of software/map. You can prove it by planning any journey using the Fastest Route option - when it gives you the summary screen, there will be some text saying that IQ Routing has been used.
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dagger. It does indeed say Fastest Route - IQ Routes.

What a good bargain this 520 is from CPC. I would never have gone for it without help from this forum.

Next thing to consider is Mike's Bluetooth iO-Play recomendation but I certainly wouldn't be able to tackle that myself............
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any recommended FM frequencies to use for particular ares of the country...........or is it a painstaking trial and error job?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: