Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange 950 lock up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange 950 lock up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flinx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Strange 950 lock up Reply with quote

Travelling along the A46 from Newark to Leicester, on the duel carriageway near Six Hills are 2 fairly new speed cameras. As I approached these I realised that my 950 had locked up (no warnings, frozen screen etc) which required a reset to clear. 4 hours later on returning along the same road the same happened at exactly the same point!
Anybody else had an experience like this?
Eagle15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 950 freezes at times. It did it 7 times in one day so I raised an incident with TomTom support. Their answer was to Back it Up, Format the Disk and then rebuild it (they sent me a 6 page set of instructions). I did this (took a couple of hours), and it now only freezes about once a day. I have no idea if this is related to Cameras or not.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: GO 950 Freezing - Me Too ! Reply with quote

GO 950 LIVE HANGING.
I've had the device for a month now and over the last couple of weeks the unit has started to hang after about 30 miles, or every half hour or so. Restarting the unit gets it moving again, but then it hangs again after another half hour, and the cycle continues like this.

I have reset the device and (with great trepidation !) installed the latest software update but the problem persists. The unit is fully charged and connected to power when the problem occurs.

Naturally the freeze-up usually happens just when I need the thing most, like when I'm approaching a junction or a roundabout !

Waiting to see what TT tech suggest but I won't be wasting my time doing any lengthy re-installation procedure which according to the previous poster doesn't work so I suppose the unit will have to go back for replacement. I'll see what they say though ...

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
Flinx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the latest software update too and, touch wood, it hasn't hung since! The A46 problem above still persists but instead of the 950 hanging it seems to slow down and then jumps. I must admit that since installing the software update the 950 seems much smoother on the screen refresh rates.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have either of you tried a clearflash? It may help.

http://tomtom.com/6178
Flinx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have downloaded and will try this weekend.

Thanks
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing worth trying is perform a full Windows Explorer backup of your device. (See FAQ)

Then format the internal memory as FAT32 - do a full format.

Now copy back your backup to your device. As Windows transfers the files it does it file by file, so it has the effect of defragmenting the internal memory - i.e. the very large files in your map folder will occupy continuous memory space, not be split all over the memory in smaller chunks.

I know in theory that you do not need to defrag memory or flash cards as you do hard drives, it seems to help slightly with juddering map problems.
Brierls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 950 LIVE is locking up quite regularly, in fact I haven't made my (current) weekly commute to Weybridge (220 miles or so) without it locking up at some point.

If I'm quick to notice that its locked (the screen locked, but voice instructions still , a simple tap on the screen takes me to the menu, and pressing back gets it functioning correctly again. If I'm not so quick to notice, tapping on the screen doesn't appear to do anything, but the unit reboots after 30 secs or so.

I'll try the flashing etc that has been suggested above, but if anybody else has suggestions on what to try, what has worked for them etc, then please let me know!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen locks happen on the x40 range as well and have been reported to TomTom many times.
wilfuerdo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I purchased a 950 to replace my 920T in November or 2009.

Aswell as other issues, My 950 locked up every 30 or 40 minutes (screen froze) I had to do the same restart.

I formatted, clearflash, back up/restore everything i read about but to no avail.

i was subscribed to PGPSW cameras but ofcourse didnt want to use, wanted to try the LIVE services version.

I installed the PGPSW cameras, disabled the TomTom ones and hey presto! PERFECT. no lock up in a month.

LIVE services just become expensive then...

1. cameras lock up the device & are not accurate
2. Weather is so badly wrong
3. HD TRaffic is good when working
4. Google search i find unreliable.

Wish I had stuck with the 920T & RDS to be honest

Please disable tomtom camera alerts and test, but mine works a treat.

Andy
Brierls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say disable TomTom Speed Camera's, do you mean uninstall them?

I'm not being pedantic, the reason I ask is I've been running with only PGPSW camera alerts since I subscribed (I uninstalled TomTom Speed Camera's via Home), so I may have the same symptoms but different issue.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen issues where the TT Safety Cameras cause the device to lock up but I thought it was French cameras, but then again I might be wrong, if removing the TT cameras resolves the issue its an easy fix - Mike
wilfuerdo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt uninstall mine, I just stopped the alerts on the TT safety camera warnings, I now just have the PGPSW cameras as POI.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: