Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I guess you can remove TRUVELO:5442 from the database...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I guess you can remove TRUVELO:5442 from the database...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: I guess you can remove TRUVELO:5442 from the database... Reply with quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1239149/Police-hunt-motorist-blew-speed-camera-BOMB.html
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my responsible, moderator's hat on.....Terrible, shouldn't take the law into own hands, etc. etc.

Normal hat on..... Clap
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my responsible Moderator's hat on..... Terrible, shouldn't applaud with normal hat on, etc. etc.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny as this may at face value appear, do we really think that having idiots making and assembling, let alone using explosive devices for whatever reason is something to applaud?

Having served in NI during the height of the troubles I think not.

I hope those responsible are caught and quickly before their home made bombs explode prematurely and maim or kill an innocent member of the public.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Darren, you're quite right. It just goes to show the value of having diversity on the forum as I never considered that aspect, even though the activity wasn't greatly amusing (to me). When you think about it, it's no different from the Underground bombers and none of us would want to be standing beside somebody like that.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly with Darren, but
DennisN wrote:
When you think about it, it's no different from the Underground bombers and none of us would want to be standing beside somebody like that.
It's not realy anything like the underground bombers. They were intent on actually trying, and succeding, to kill people, not destroying a speed cam. Confused
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can argue its all based on intent. But step back an look, someone has deliberately manufactured or modified an explosive.

I get to use and train others to use explosives and if nothing else you just don't mess with the stuff.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It's not realy anything like the underground bombers. They were intent on actually trying, and succeding, to kill people, not destroying a speed cam. Confused

The point is that regardless of the motive or purpose, the 'bomb' if that is what it was, had to be transported to the location and in so doing put any number of innocent passers by at risk which is no different to any terrorist bomb and bomber.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It's not realy anything like the underground bombers. They were intent on actually trying to kill people, not destroying a speed cam. Confused

My feeling was that I'd not wish to choose between standing next to somebody on a bus or underground who was carrying an unstable bomb to set off in a railway station somewhere, or somebody who was carrying an unstable bomb to set off on a speed camera.

Forty some years ago, in Sharjah, I was in the airport where the local Arab watchman handed his rifle to a small English boy to enjoy. The youngster brought it into the terminal to show his parents (with the business end pointing at all of us) and you should have seen us hit the deck. None of us stood wondering whether he meant to shoot any of us.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys. Point taken. Why isn't there a 'hands up, I give in' Smiley?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth remembering that the Daily Mail's (and the press in general's) definition of a "bomb" is pretty loose/vague/inaccurate.
I have been closely following the reporting of the court case following a tragic incident at a firework store in Sussex, and the reports were often so inaccurate on technical details as to be worthless. But a few emotive "buzz" words always helps to sell a paper.

The sort of damage done to that camera *could* have been caused by nothing more than a pressure build-up inside the case from an overheated back-up battery after a simple fire; but point taken... we should all condemn this sort of overreaction.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Worth remembering that the Daily Mail's (and the press in general's) definition of a "bomb" is pretty loose/vague/inaccurate.

Oh yes, we all know that what the press report often has little bearing on reality so fair point!
Quote:
I have been closely following the reporting of the court case following a tragic incident at a firework store in Sussex, and the reports were often so inaccurate on technical details as to be worthless. But a few emotive "buzz" words always helps to sell a paper.

Yup, nasty case that one but again, I know only what I have read.
Quote:
The sort of damage done to that camera *could* have been caused by nothing more than a pressure build-up inside the case from an overheated back-up battery after a simple fire; but point taken... we should all condemn this sort of overreaction.

It would be interesting to know what the device, if it was indeed a device, consisted of but I doubt we ever will.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Not far from the mark in this instance. See Wiki, particularly the improvised bit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: