Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How does Map guarantee work then?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How does Map guarantee work then?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: How does Map guarantee work then? Reply with quote

I have my new GO 520 from CPC..........free next day delivery, excellent.

Backed up to PC first thing. Wink

I have replaced my ONE V1 with the GO520 on my HOME account but have not been offered a Map Guarantee so far???

I have updated the App to 8.351

I still have Map No 715.1703 on the new device. (how old is that?)

I have sent proof of purchase to TT so that my future map updates (already paid for a year) can be transferred to the new device but I was expecting to be automatically offered the map guarantee on my brand new GO.

I don't want to put PGPSW cameras on the GO until I have an up to date map.

It could well take until next week to get an answer from TT so I wondered if there was something I was doing wrong in HOME?
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SORTED!

Just clicked on tools and saw it in the drop down menu in HOME.

Downloading as I type....

Why the hell isn't it just offered as a matter of course???????????? Rolling Eyes
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If like me you purchased your new device from CPC in anticipation of the new maps you would not want what was available at the time to be offered automatically the TT option gives the option to wait as I did.

You will probably be disappointed to know you cannot transfer the map update service from your existing device to the 520, you would have to purchase another 12 months for it, but if you think as I do, I will wait at least twelve months before doing that as past history says that each map change only introduces a few changes and at least 12 months or more needs to elapse before you may even notice things have changed.
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, I see your point on the Map Guarantee and having the choice to wait.

You are not correct when it comes to it not being possible to transfer Map Updates to a new device. You need to ask TT for this.

I quote from some of our recent correspondence where I queried this fact.................

Quote:
I would like to confirm that we will be able to exchange your Map Update Service to the new device if you provide us with a copy of the proof of purchase for your new TomTom. This would apply whether or not you purchase the unit from our website.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Kev thats a new one please keep everyone upto date with how that turns out, everyone who has tried to transfer has been refused maybe TT are trying to get into the Christmas spirit.
CliveBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading the post about map update transfer, I bought a 940 yesterday from Halfords (impulse but it was a bargain!) having paid for a year of map updates on the 12th Dec for the 920, anyway phoned Tom Tom support, a bit of guesswork with press this for that etc, after a few minutes wait got through and they were really helpful the map update service was transferred from the 920 to the 940 account, all I had to do was give the email address of each account within a few minutes with confirmation email going to both accounts. Have to wait for the next map update to see if it all works!
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense for TT to allow transfer of map updates from one device to another, as it will help sales. My example was of owning a 510 and having the update service for a year and then it expired. I was reluctant to renew for another year as the 510 may expire itself and as things were the update could not be transferred, so they lost a sale of map updates.

I then chose because it seemed a bargain to purchase it a new TT 520 from CPC, but I could have decided to purchase a Garmin or Navman, as there was no real need to stay with the TT brand. If the map update service was known to be transferable I would have purchased it for the 510 and then would have to buy another TT device if the old one did fail so TT would be securing a future sale.

The real test now will be to find out in the future if its the 510 or 520 that dies first my money is on the 520.
fingery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just purchased a 950 and not yet used the map guarantee as the maps are fairly recent.

Is there any expiry on the map guarantee? Can i leave it 6 or 9 months then do the map update so in a years time i'll still have fairly recent maps?
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 days............................see here.

http://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/
jason8734
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: transfer map guarantee Reply with quote

I had a TT one xl for a couple of years when it got broken. I purchased a new XL IQ routes edition, but when i tried to update the map as purchased, it would not let me. I contacted TT who asked for details of my device. They informed me that the map guarantee i had purchased would not work on my new device. They then promptly changed the guarantee over to work with my new TT. No arguments or quibbles, Excellent service from TT. All you have to do is ask.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: transfer map guarantee Reply with quote

jason8734 wrote:
I had a TT one xl for a couple of years when it got broken. I purchased a new XL IQ routes edition, but when i tried to update the map as purchased, it would not let me. I contacted TT who asked for details of my device. They informed me that the map guarantee i had purchased would not work on my new device. They then promptly changed the guarantee over to work with my new TT. No arguments or quibbles, Excellent service from TT. All you have to do is ask.
I think that you are confusing Latest Map Guarantee which allows you to upgrade to the latest map, within 30 days of purchase, to make up for the time that the device has been lying on the store shelf, and a map upgrade subscription that you purchase after that.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: